calm seas

vb1025

We have a first timer who has finally said she would try a cruise. She is very concerned about seasickness. I told her about the many choices of "drugs,etc" to help her through this. We are looking for a cruise in the Caribbean. Is there a better month to try to sail that typically has calmer seas than another month?

We have a first timer who has finally said she would try a cruise. She is very concerned about seasickness. I told her about the many choices of "drugs,etc" to help her through this. We are looking for a cruise in the Caribbean. Is there a better month to try to sail that typically has calmer seas than another month?

Our last three cruises have been in May (one Western and two Eastern Carib.) and we've had perfect weather and fairly calm seas on each of them. We love cruising in May.:)

You just never know and you are wise. The best advise is to come prepared with medication. Also try to select a room that is more mid ship.

You just never know with weather. Take a look at November, December, April and May for starters.

Keith

Since your friend has never been on a cruise, I would let her know what is all available to help her, and have her ask her doctor also if she is on any other medications.

I think another big thing is make sure to let her know that being on a cruise is NOT like being on a small boat somewhere (unless you are going on a yacht cruise).

Example 1: My DH gets really bad motion sickness while in cars. To the point where at 38, he still can't ride in the back seat of a car. He has never had an issue on a cruise ship.

Example 2: My mother cruises 30+ days a year. She has never once gotten sea sick even in bad weather. When I was 13, we took a small speed boat out into the pacific ocean. I had to drive because well, it made her very very sick in such a small vessel being effected by the waves.

Alas there is no way to predict mother nature, thought I am sure there are better bets than others. Our July cruise was the smoothest sailing in general. Our August cruises were a close 2nd. Our December sailings (Eastern and Western) were both REALLY rough with the Western being worse.

Since your friend has never been on a cruise, I would let her know what is all available to help her, and have her ask her doctor also if she is on any other medications.

I think another big thing is make sure to let her know that being on a cruise is NOT like being on a small boat somewhere (unless you are going on a yacht cruise).

Example 1: My DH gets really bad motion sickness while in cars. To the point where at 38, he still can't ride in the back seat of a car. He has never had an issue on a cruise ship.

Example 2: My mother cruises 30+ days a year. She has never once gotten sea sick even in bad weather. When I was 13, we took a small speed boat out into the pacific ocean. I had to drive because well, it made her very very sick in such a small vessel being effected by the waves.

Alas there is no way to predict mother nature, thought I am sure there are better bets than others. Our July cruise was the smoothest sailing in general. Our August cruises were a close 2nd. Our December sailings (Eastern and Western) were both REALLY rough with the Western being worse.

Great examples.:D