What's It Like to Live on a Cruise Ship?

capriccio

An 87 year old woman wrote an interesting first person article in today's Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/03/07/what-its-like-to-live-on-a-cruise-ship-for-8-years/?hpid=hp_hp-cards_hp-card-posteverything%3Ahomepage%2Fcard

Edited by capriccio

Now that our four legged baby has passed on I could live on a cruise ship. If I only had the $$$$$! Oh well!

But good for this woman! I hope she enjoys her birthday and many, many more!

A quality cruise ship, would be comparable to a mobile assisted living facility. While the amenities, entertainment, meals, etc. would be enjoyable, few of us would want to be completely cut off from people and places important to us.

Think of family and friends left behind -- of all the personal effects: books, clothes, favorite pieces of furniture you would have no space for ---

I would like to cruise a bit more than we do -- but frankly hope to die quietly in my sleep before I had to check into an assisted living facility - no matter how nice.

<snip>

I would like to cruise a bit more than we do -- but frankly hope to die quietly in my sleep before I had to check into an assisted living facility - no matter how nice.

I would suspect that is what most of us wish for our loved ones and ourselves.

But only minority could do this, even if they had the money. Usually people get severe illnessess when old, even if one has lived healthy lives, 40 % of us die of cancer for example. Its fine if you have money, good genes and a lot of luck, otherwise you have to endure severe medical treatments that for sure keep you from living abroard.

And you really cannot change your genes or how lucky you are. And money mostly comes from getting lucky in life too.

If I could choose, I would live the last of my years here surrounded by friends and family. But then that too is rarely a choise we can make either.