Week of 21st Birthday

carnival03

I'm sure this question has been asked before and it may be a stupid question on my part because it's a matter of how "technical" you want to get. Let's say we set sail on June 11th when an individual's 21st birthday is on June 16th, will carnival serve them? Have you asked? Have you been told no, and gotten away with it? I'm positive any adult can go to the bar to get their soon to be adult a drink... Curious to see what everyone else has ran into... Yes, I know, you're 20 until you're 21 but just looking for others experiences...

Edited by carnival03

Must be 21. No exceptions.

If you are 20 when you board unless things have changed recently, you will be considered 20 the whole cruise.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

That cannot possibly be accurate.... GS should be able to issue a new sail n sign card... I would be ticked off

That cannot possibly be accurate.... GS should be able to issue a new sail n sign card... I would be ticked off

Ok, maybe they can report back after the cruise with current information.

Ok, maybe they can report back after the cruise with current information.

Why post information as fact if you aren't sure.

I have no doubt their policy is similar to Royals which is you can go to guest services with a government issued id and they will make it so you can purchase drinks.

Why post information as fact if you aren't sure.

I have no doubt their policy is similar to Royals which is you can go to guest services with a government issued id and they will make it so you can purchase drinks.

That was fact as reported by an irate parent about a year ago.

This was many years ago, but I took my daughter on a cruise for her 21st birthday. She turned 21 on the 3rd day of the cruise, and was able to go to guest services and get a new card. I did buy her a couple of drinks prior to that day. No questions asked.

This is from actual experience, not hearsay. Now things may have changed since then, and I think it also would depend on the bartender.

Must be 21. No exceptions.

If you are 20 when you board unless things have changed recently, you will be considered 20 the whole cruise.

I know this is how age works (age at boarding is age for the cruise) for the kid's clubs, especially the 2yo. It's an insurance thing.

Edited by SadieN

This was many years ago, but I took my daughter on a cruise for her 21st birthday. She turned 21 on the 3rd day of the cruise, and was able to go to guest services and get a new card. I did buy her a couple of drinks prior to that day. No questions asked.

This is from actual experience, not hearsay. Now things may have changed since then, and I think it also would depend on the bartender.

Thanks for your input :D

I'm sure this question has been asked before and it may be a stupid question on my part because it's a matter of how "technical" you want to get. Let's say we set sail on June 11th when an individual's 21st birthday is on June 16th, will carnival serve them? Have you asked? Have you been told no, and gotten away with it? I'm positive any adult can go to the bar to get their soon to be adult a drink... Curious to see what everyone else has ran into... Yes, I know, you're 20 until you're 21 but just looking for others experiences...

Your age is determined as of the date of embarkation and it is not changed on your birthday. This is from actual experience, not hearsay. Feel free to enjoy adult beverages while you are ashore.

Edited by zqvol

Your age is determined as of the date of embarkation and it is not changed on your birthday. This is from actual experience, not hearsay. Feel free to enjoy adult beverages while you are ashore.

If the dig was in response to what I posted, I did state that things may have changed since I went with my daughter.

I find people will make statements, without having the actual experience, so if this actually happened to you on a cruise, then obviously the rules have changed.

Is this stated anywhere online? I searched and found nothing that states this.

Only thing I see says you must be 21 on embarkation to travel without an adult.

I have absolutely no experience, but I highly doubt Carnival would refuse to serve a 21 year old drinks that they would make a profit from.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I took my daughter on a cruise for her 21st birthday on the Dream a couple of years ago. She was 20 yrs old when we boarded and part way through the cruise, she turned 21. Yay! Right after midnight when she turned 21, we went to a bar and she ordered 4 woo woo shots for our group and put them on HER S&S card and signed for them. No problem. The bartenders took pics with her. Everyone was celebrating. She was wearing a crown and sash all night. Lots of fun for a special birthday.

We had heard ahead of time that you're the age for the entire cruise that you are upon boarding. Not true. And she didn't have to go to Guest Services for a new card.

My daughter loves to talk about her 21st birthday cruise. She's 25 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't think I'd want to try alcohol for the first time in the middle of the ocean. I know it's rare but some people are become seriously ill due to allergy to the stuff. You also don't know how it will affect you mentally. If you are at risk for suicidal thoughts or mental illness, I don't think a cruise ship is a safe place to try alcohol. Just my two cents.

I don't think I'd want to try alcohol for the first time in the middle of the ocean. I know it's rare but some people are become seriously ill due to allergy to the stuff. You also don't know how it will affect you mentally. If you are at risk for suicidal thoughts or mental illness, I don't think a cruise ship is a safe place to try alcohol. Just my two cents.

99% of kids won't be getting their first taste of alcohol at 21, it will just be legal to sell it to them :D

The age you are WHEN YOU BOARD is the age they consider you to be for the ENTIRE cruise. Wait a week!

This isn't accurate. My daughter boarded the Carnival Dream when she was 20. She turned 21 halfway through the cruise and was able to order drinks the minute she turned 21 during the cruise and for the duration. I know this as fact, as I was there and paid for the cruise and the drinks. I always heard that it was the way you are saying, but from personal experience it wasn't so.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Per the Liquor and Beverage Policy:

The minimum age for the purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages in the bars, lounges and gift shops is 21 years of age. In the event that Bar/Restaurant/Gift Shop Staff are in question that the guest is less than 21 years old, they shall request picture identification, prior to serving the drink or selling the bottle of liquor.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2633/kw/liquor

It does not reference anything about age on embarkation day. I believe some people are trying to take language from the Minor Guest Policy and apply it to the Liquor and Beverage Policy.

99% of kids won't be getting their first taste of alcohol at 21, it will just be legal to sell it to them :D

I thought it was a parent asking about it for their child, I would certainly hope a parent isn't condoning alcohol use by a 20 year old. There is soooo much misinformation about alcohol out there. The legal drinking age from a public health perspective should be raised to 23 or 25 because it is well known alcohol use for those below those ages is terrible for brain function. Yet Carnival told my life partner that she couldn't drink while pregnant and the health negative effects are extremely negligible for mother and child.

I thought it was a parent asking about it for their child, I would certainly hope a parent isn't condoning alcohol use by a 20 year old. There is soooo much misinformation about alcohol out there. The legal drinking age from a public health perspective should be raised to 23 or 25 because it is well known alcohol use for those below those ages is terrible for brain function. Yet Carnival told my life partner that she couldn't drink while pregnant and the health negative effects are extremely negligible for mother and child.

I'm sorry your partner is so selfish that she had to be told by someone else she couldn't drink while pregnant. You make sacrifices while pregnant. If you aren't willing to do this you shouldn't reproduce. No one has died because they couldn't drink for 9 months.

You also post in another thread about her smoking while pregnant. Either you are just trying to get a rise out of people or are trying to win the award for worst parents.

Edited by BeachChik

So a 21 year old should not consume alcohol, but it is ok for a pregnant female and an unborn baby?

Wow. Just wow. :eek:

Seriously, your last 2 post are really out there for a cruising website. Who are you preaching to, cruise guests? The U.S drinking age is the highest in the world. Did you ever attend college? (except Utah), ha, ha

disclaimer, alcohol is not good for you, everyone knows, but sure is a hell of a lot fun when used responsibly.

I'm sorry but this is incorrect...while the negative effects for a pregnant woman may be negligible fetal alcohol syndrome is a very real negative side effect for the fetus. There is no safe amount of alcohol consumption during pregnancy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app