Wine question

JerseyShore

We know that Princess charges a $15 per bottle fee if we bring our own wine onboard; but if we bring it to the table at dinner will we be charged another "corkage" fee?

You are allowed to bring one bottle each without corkage charge if consumed in your cabin. If you take the bottle to a restaurant, they charge the corkage fee.

If you take a glass of wine or a mixed drink to the dining room, no corkage fee is charged.

Edited by swedish weave

We know that Princess charges a $15 per bottle fee if we bring our own wine onboard; but if we bring it to the table at dinner will we be charged another "corkage" fee?

You are allowed one 750 ml bottle each, which must be consumed in your stateroom. If a "free" bottle is taken to the dining room you will be charged the $15.00 corkage fee. Any bottles in excess of the two "free" allowed will be charged the corkage fee and may be consumed anywhere on the ship, including the MDR.

...VTX-Al

To actually answer the original question: a sticker will be placed on the bottles of wine you pay corkage for when presented to the check-in table at embarkation. So no duplicate corkage fee will be collected if you bring the same bottle to the dining room. However there have been a few posts reported the DR staff attempting to charge corkage on bottles already paid; just stand you ground and speak to the head waiter should this happen to you.

Just got off the Crown - brought on six bottles over the two no charge bottles (8 total) - paid the 15 for each bottle over the two ($90 total) They put stickers on them and those were the ones we took to the main dining room and crown grill - they never charged us any corkage on those bottles. This is great on Princess - we get to drink wine we really like at a minimal charge.

To actually answer the original question: a sticker will be placed on the bottles of wine you pay corkage for when presented to the check-in table at embarkation. So no duplicate corkage fee will be collected if you bring the same bottle to the dining room. However there have been a few posts reported the DR staff attempting to charge corkage on bottles already paid; just stand you ground and speak to the head waiter should this happen to you.

Now I'm Confused...... I thought if you bring on a wine bottle in your carryon and NOT in your luggage..... this is free if consumed in your room.

So why is there talk of stopping at a table to pay corkage, etc.?

Is it free to bring onboard or not?

Each adult over 21 gets 1 bottle per cruise, kids can't bring a bottle on.

Any bottle over the 1 each allowed is charged the corkage fee upfront at boarding, a sticker is put on each bottle you pay the corkage on.

The bottles with the sticker can be taken to the MDR and they will cork them (you have already paid)

If you have a friend doing a BVE, they can bring a bottle on as well if they are over 21

Now I'm Confused...... I thought if you bring on a wine bottle in your carryon and NOT in your luggage..... this is free if consumed in your room.

Oh and don't put wine bottles in your luggage. They can confiscate them.

You may bring on as many bottles (maximum size 750 ml) as you wish, all in your carry-on as you said.

One bottle per adult is exempt from the corkage fee if you consume it in your stateroom. All additional bottles require the $15 corkage fee to be paid at the pier when boarding, regardless of where on the ship they are eventually consumed.

When you print your luggage tags the policy will be shown on them:

Bringing Alcohol

Onboard?

Please remember our

carry-on alcohol policy:

• One 750ml bottle of wine

or champagne per adult per

voyage, which will not be

subject to a corkage fee if

consumed in the stateroom.

• Additional wine or

champagne bottles are

welcome, but will incur a

$15 corkage fee per bottle,

irrespective of where they are

intended to be consumed.

• Other liquors, spirits or beers

are prohibited. Luggage is

subject to search.

Edited by fishywood

We are doing a B2B from Vancouver to Whittier and back in May. Wondering if we can bring 4 bottles of champagne in Vancouver (showing our Whittier to Vancouver boarding pass to verify the b2b claim) since it could be difficult to find what we like in Whittier.

do they provide a wine opener or do you need to bring one onboard?

don't know about others, but i never leave home without one! Hic!!

(but- if flying, throw it in your checked luggage, not you (plane) carry-on!)

Edited by jargey3000

We are doing a B2B from Vancouver to Whittier and back in May. Wondering if we can bring 4 bottles of champagne in Vancouver (showing our Whittier to Vancouver boarding pass to verify the b2b claim) since it could be difficult to find what we like in Whittier.

We had a similar situation on a B2B and were sent to the "corkage table". I explained the B2B thing to the guys and they said no, so I asked if they could hold it for us to pick up at the end of the first cruise.

They discussed that with each other for a while, then allowed me to take the two additional bottles onboard.

I think that was an exception, so I wouldn't consider it to be something they would do all the time.

Do they provide a wine opener or do you need to bring one onboard?

We carry a "travel" opener..not some big heavy thing. If you ask for one, you might be waiting till the next day or even longer to see it. We like our pre dinner wine and don't want to wait. :)

We have collected several small plastic ones offered at hotel stays that do the trick.

If there is wine in your carryon you will be directed to the wine check in table. If you have no more than one bottle per drinking age passenger they will record your bottles but you will not be charged corkage. If they then find additional bottles in your checked baggage, you will be charged corkage on any bottles over the limit.

Regardless you have to stop at the table to verify.

We took 3 bottles (1 per person) on the Diamond last month and never saw a table, nor were we asked if we were carrying any in our carry ons during the check in process. The bags went through the X-ray scanner and were plainly visible. Not a word was said.

Corkage fee only applies if the bottle is taken to the dining room. If you consume it in your room there is no fee. Just ask your steward for some wine glasses.

Edited by SpartanMom76

We took 3 bottles (1 per person) on the Diamond last month and never saw a table, nor were we asked if we were carrying any in our carry ons during the check in process. The bags went through the X-ray scanner and were plainly visible. Not a word was said.

Corkage fee only applies if the bottle is taken to the dining room. If you consume it in your room there is no fee. Just ask your steward for some wine glasses.

If you take extra they are subject to the fee.

If they don't screen them you were lucky.

Just good for people to know that there's a chance that one can get charged if they are over the allotted amount.

We had a similar situation on a B2B and were sent to the "corkage table". I explained the B2B thing to the guys and they said no, so I asked if they could hold it for us to pick up at the end of the first cruise.

They discussed that with each other for a while, then allowed me to take the two additional bottles onboard.

I think that was an exception, so I wouldn't consider it to be something they would do all the time.

Can't hurt to try. :D