Switching direct booking to a TA.

windsurferfirst

Is there any advantage to changing a booing I made on the Princess web site to a TA? As we are new to cruising I though I would ask the question. I do like to be in control of my booking though. I love that I can pop into my cruise personalizer when ever I want to, can I still do this if I change it?

The benefit is that some travel agents will save you money and charge you less then Princess.

You still have access to the Cruise Personalizer. Though, once you switch to a TA, payments will go through the TA (almost all agents have Princess charge your credit card - I would avoid the ones that charge final payment to agency) and if you want to switch cabins or add a Princess hotel, you need to go through the TA. If there are price drops, you must all so go through your TA.

I use a TA. I don't feel like I am losing control as I just contact my agent as opposed to Princess. My agent works longer hours then Princess so it is not an inconvenience.

Although you can use your personalizer it will not show you any monies such as cruise cost or balances owed. If you are looking for an upsell your TA might not be available when the offer goes to them and you could miss out. If you want to change anything many (not all) TA's charge you. I like to keep control of my own booking and deal with Princess directly.

The up side is that many TA's give a small OBC so you need to balance the pro's and con's.

Although you can use your personalizer it will not show you any monies such as cruise cost or balances owed. If you are looking for an upsell your TA might not be available when the offer goes to them and you could miss out. If you want to change anything many (not all) TA's charge you. I like to keep control of my own booking and deal with Princess directly.

The up side is that many TA's give a small OBC so you need to balance the pro's and con's.

Why would a TA charge to make any changes ?? If they do that would be a bad TA . I doesn't cost them anything to make any changes , just time an effort which is why they are there .

Why would a TA charge to make any changes ?? If they do that would be a bad TA . I doesn't cost them anything to make any changes , just time an effort which is why they are there .

A few TAs do charge for bookings, changes and cancellations. I would avoid them.

The good ones do not :)

Edited by Coral

Is there any advantage to changing a booing I made on the Princess web site to a TA? As we are new to cruising I though I would ask the question. I do like to be in control of my booking though. I love that I can pop into my cruise personalizer when ever I want to, can I still do this if I change it?

Saving 10-15%.

I prefer to book directly with Princess and would keep my reservations with them if it weren’t for the discounts/OBC’s offered by TA’s. I like Princess’s customer service better than any of the travel agents we’ve used. Unfortunately to get a discounted rate, I’ve had to transfer my reservations from Princess and then let a middleman play go-between.

So if you can find an agent that offers one, the advantage is a discounted rate or OBC. The disadvantage is inserting a 3rd party into your vacation planning. Our experience is that the TA has always been an unwanted nuisance but so far the OBC has outweighed the negative.

So if you can find an agent that offers one, the advantage is a discounted rate or OBC. The disadvantage is inserting a 3rd party into your vacation planning. Our experience is that the TA has always been an unwanted nuisance but so far the OBC has outweighed the negative.

Ironically - that 3rd party individual I am inserting into my vacation has cruised many times with Princess and other lines and is a top Princess agent. The people you speak to on the phone with Princess, you are lucky if they have actually been on a ship. Some may be high school students (they advertised for them in a Seattle paper for their call center there).

That 3rd party individual also has more options such as different travel insurance, and has you as their priority. The people on the phone at Princess, work for Princess. Travel agents work for YOU. When something goes wrong - who is going to be on your side? Also, since my agent does so much bookings with Princess - they are going to want to please her. You are pretty much on your own when you book direct.

Oh yea, I also save money by using that 3rd party.

Ironically - that 3rd party individual I am inserting into my vacation has cruised many times with Princess and other lines and is a top Princess agent. The people you speak to on the phone with Princess, you are lucky if they have actually been on a ship. Some may be high school students (they advertised for them in a Seattle paper for their call center there).

That 3rd party individual also has more options such as different travel insurance, and has you as their priority. The people on the phone at Princess, work for Princess. Travel agents work for YOU. When something goes wrong - who is going to be on your side? Also, since my agent does so much bookings with Princess - they are going to want to please her. You are pretty much on your own when you book direct.

Oh yea, I also save money by using that 3rd party.

Exactly. I agree 100%. I usually save 10-20%, sometimes more. Plus OBC. I can email my TA at night and even though they are three hours earlier, get a response within an hour.

My two cents (and it's probably not even worth that much): I do all the research myself upfront. I know the cruise I want, the cabin I want, the dining time I want, etc. I then use a TA with a large online discount agency to book the cruise. What do I get out of it. Usually around a 10% to 20% discount and/or OBC's that the agency takes out of their commission. I've cruised enough that I feel that I "know what I'm doing". The TA is just a middle man. If I could get the same discount by booking directly with the cruise line would I? Absolutely.

I've booked a few last minute flash sale deals where the TA couldn't offer any discount or OBC. So I booked directly with the cruise line.

Now if I were doing a world cruise or other exotic cruise then I would probably use an agency that specializes in those. There are a lot of other things that are required (i.e. visas, vaccinations, etc.) that they could assist me with that usually aren't required for the 14 day or less cruises I take.

The USD has something to do with where I book as well. You could keep your booking in CND with Princess until close to final payment then have a look around. If, after doing the math and adding in any perks TA offer, it is better one way or the other - switch, or not.

Since we cannot predict what the dollar will do, or when, this works for us on cruises we book a long way out.

I booked with a travel agent for the first time for my latest cruise. I've gone on many cruises before and never used a travel agent.

After doing it this time, I will say I will never do it again. Besides an added travel agent fee, the price is exactly the same either way. It was also more work. Not only did I need to find the cruise I wanted, like always, but I had to convey that to the travel agent. The TA did get cheaper travel insurance, but I can get third-party insurance myself.

If I used a TA again, it would be through a web site and not an individual TA. Would NEVER do that again.

I'm not sure about Princess but on Celebrity you have 60 days from booking to transfer - after 60 days no luck!
With Princess, the cutoff date is the final payment date, which varies depending on the length of cruise and whether it's a holiday cruise or not.

I think I will email the TA I spoke with last year but didn't use, tell her what I have got and see what she comes back with. I booked on the twice as nice deal, not so much for the $1 deposit more for the $150 OBC each.

Thanks for all you reply. I will let you know what she says.

I booked with a travel agent for the first time for my latest cruise. I've gone on many cruises before and never used a travel agent.

After doing it this time, I will say I will never do it again. Besides an added travel agent fee, the price is exactly the same either way. It was also more work. Not only did I need to find the cruise I wanted, like always, but I had to convey that to the travel agent. The TA did get cheaper travel insurance, but I can get third-party insurance myself.

If I used a TA again, it would be through a web site and not an individual TA. Would NEVER do that again.

Under those cercumstances, neither would I, BUT.... My TA NEVER charges a fee, discounts my cruise fare and gives me OBC. I save 10 to 20% over Princess prices. I find the cruise I want, call or usually e-mail my request and am contacted right back. No fee involved, cheaper price on cruise and OBC. Whats not to like?

With Princess, the cutoff date is the final payment date, which varies depending on the length of cruise and whether it's a holiday cruise or not.

This is correct. Though it sometimes pay to switch it earlier. For example, if the agent has group space, you can take advantage of additional amenities (OBC, etc..). Once their group space is gone, you lose that.

Are people referring to TA's that are people in an agency? What @ online agencies? Can't name them but you all know. I'm always hesitant to try one, but would love to save money!

Yep, I switched a cruise (that we had booked on board the previous cruise) to my online agent I'd used before. This got me a nice rebate check from her agency after cruise completion, and her sincere gratitude.

Are people referring to TA's that are people in an agency? What @ online agencies? Can't name them but you all know. I'm always hesitant to try one, but would love to save money!

I use a real TA. She runs a cruise franchise agency. She lives in another state but I talk to her over the phone and through email. She specializes in cruises and is a top agent for Princess.

I won't use a website as I want a real agent. In case something happens, they are worth their weight in gold.

Edited by Coral