Elbe river - the basics and more by rivercruiseadvisor

notamermaid

I should like to point out that while the information in the article is correct as regards the North-American market, there are German operators on the Elbe. These are: nicko cruises, 1AVista Reisen and Phoenix. Another operator is DERTOUR Flussreisen, but it uses the same ships as the other operators.

If you go for language adventure and/or mid-range price (partially) these might be an option. If you know German well, even easier. Booking might be the bigger problem.

notamermaid

If one follows the link, it says, incorrectly,

River cruises on the Elbe River begin in either Germany or Czech Republic. Itineraries are available from March through December, depending on the river cruise company. Currently, there are only two companies operating on the Elbe River, Viking River Cruises and CroisiEurope.

Then there is an imbedded link that correctly adds Grand Circle as well as others. We were pleased with how Grand Circle handled our last season's low water non-sailing. Hopefully it won't be repeated this year.

As an aside, witnessing the PEGIDA rally in Dresden allows interesting comparisons to our primaries.

Edited by CPT Trips

• Members

Just an FYI that Cruise Critic has "River Cruise Basics" for most rivers where cruise lines sail, around the world. Here is our Elbe piece as well as a slideshow from a Grand Circle cruise.

In more Elbe news, we have a staff editor attending the christening of Elbe Princesse, a new paddlewheel riverboat from CroisiEurope that has been specially designed for the river's low waters. That takes place in April.

And finally, our editor in chief reviewed Viking Astrild, which has also been designed for the Elbe.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

The River Allegro indeed, according to a local Elbe report, was bought by Grand Circle in 2010 or 2011 and completely refurbished. She had sailed under the original name MS Dresden as a luxury cruise ship till its owner (the company that owned it) went bankrupt.

And yes, a big step for CroisiEurope and great news for prospective Elbe cruisers. I am looking forward to reading about the christening of the Elbe Princesse. According to CroisiEurope it will be the first ship to be able to sail from Berlin into Prag and dock there. The respective itinerary is in the German brochure, by the way.

notamermaid

Thanks for posting the link. We are hoping to take a Christmas market trip with GCT in 2017. Have already sailed the itinerary in 2006 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Hope the Spring brings you to fully restored health. Pat

Vantage also offers an Elbe Cruise. They have scheduled cruises on the Elbe through 2017 - don't know about 2018. We took this cruise last April and loved it. We had no low water issues - thankfully!

Carol

Vantage also offers an Elbe Cruise. They have scheduled cruises on the Elbe through 2017 - don't know about 2018. We took this cruise last April and loved it. We had no low water issues - thankfully!

Carol

So, it was you that used up all the water. :p ;)

Now the truth has come out! :D

All those North-American river cruisers.

But the Czech quite seriously kept some water in their country, they regulate the water with the help of some locks.

As regards the popularity of river cruising among US and Canadian citizens I will post some statistics in a separate thread.

notamermaid

I had the pleasure to cruise on the MS Dresden when it was still owned by Deilmann. I thought the itinerary was much better than the ones offered now (Berlin - Prague). Our cruise was Dresden to Hamburg - so all on the Elbe river. Due to low water we weren´t able to do the Saxonian Switzerland but made a bus trip to Prague instead. It was a remarkable trip with a nightly cruise into Hamburg sipping champagne on the upper deck.

I doubt that the Elbe Princesse is the first ship to go up to Prague. The ships used to do this. But then locks broke down and the river level was not high enough. So the river cruise ships stopped in Melnik or Litomerice and the rest was done by bus.

steamboats

Hello steamboats,

your doubts might be well founded. I did a bit of research in the German-speaking world of river cruising and found the Swiss Ruby. Another "Scylla"-ship chartered by a Swiss operator and sailing the Elbe. The charterer's catalogue gives the route as Berlin to Prague, ending with "Ausschiffung in Prag" on the 9th day of the itinerary. This of course indicates that the ship sails into Prague with the passengers disembarking there.

I wonder if I misunderstood CroisiEurope's marketing?

Another thought: why, with the new design of Viking ships for the Elbe, do their itineraries not go further than Litomerice on the river?

And I agree with going further downriver on the Elbe, that must have been a great experience for you. I do not know the area of the Elbe but have been to Hamburg. Fascinating city. Prag as well, by the way, would like to visit again, it has been a long time since my last trip there.

notamermaid

notamermaid,

Besides the river level the locks on the Moldau river were the main problem for the river cruise ships. It was "no risk, no fun" whether you were able to pass through or not. I think mainly because of the locks the river cruise companies stopped to advertise the disembarkation in Prague as many passengers were disappointed by the bus ride from Litomerice.

steamboats

• 2 weeks later...

The other significant thing about the CroisiEurope Elbe Princesse is that the ship will depart from Spandau--not Magdeburg. So that's a significant bus ride (~150 km) that will be replaced by cruising. So the trip will be a true "unpack once" river cruise with no hotel stays on either end and all meals included on board.

FuelScience

your doubts might be well founded. I did a bit of research in the German-speaking world of river cruising and found the Swiss Ruby. Another "Scylla"-ship chartered by a Swiss operator and sailing the Elbe

During the low waters of 2014 the Swiss Ruby was moored in Dresden, next to our Viking boat, without passengers or crew. It didn't move, nor did we but the paddle-wheelers were still doing day trips upstream.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Just a note I will heading out to Berlin tomorrow to board CroisiEurope's new low-draft paddlewheel ship Elbe Princesse for its christening this week. Stay tuned for a news story from the christening Thursday as well as stories on the ship and its design in the coming weeks. A full review is on its way!

Cheers,

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

Hi,

We're looking into a June 2016 Viking Elbe river cruise. I'm aware of significant diversions recently. What is the current status of river level and on a recent cruise - how many of Viking's 8 cruise nights was the ship actually moving?

Thanks

Harry

Hello algomaguy,

welcome to cruisecritic. Last year was an exceptionally dry year. The drought started around August (not unusual) and continued into November (very unusual). Some Viking cruises did not sail at all.

I have heard of no recent impacts other than a barge getting stuck for a couple of days and a bomb that was found on the lower Elbe where the cruises marketing to North-Americans do not go.

June is a better month to travel normally.

But one cannot say any more than a few days in advance what will happen with the water levels.

I will keep looking at German reports for the Rhine and often hear news about the Danube and Elbe.

I am sure others will watch out for reports as well.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid