Expiring passport ?

familycruzer

Sorry but I don't see a need to renew a passport 15 months in advance.

Keith

Neither do I. :confused: 8 weeks is what I normally allow. In the busy year I'd go for 3-4 months.

Instead of the arguing and snark here, why doesn't the OP go to the source of real accurate info and facts and not come here for the confusing opinions of many.

If you guys were flying to a foreign country then many require 3-6months left on your passport to enter.

You are taking a closed loop cruise to USA ports so there is no foreign country involved. The only one is IF you go to Canada which does NOT require any more than that your passport be valid while you are there.

Taking a birth certificate along is totally unnecessary and wouldn't help you in a foreign country anyway!

If you guys were flying to a foreign country then many require 3-6months left on your passport to enter.

You are taking a closed loop cruise to USA ports so there is no foreign country involved. The only one is IF you go to Canada which does NOT require any more than that your passport be valid while you are there.

^^^ This

Taking a birth certificate along is totally unnecessary and wouldn't help you in a foreign country anyway!

It is to help you get back into the USA in the event you are delayed (hospitalized in Canada) and your passport expires before you get back to the USA.

Also:

Identification requirements for U. S. citizens and permanent residents {entering Canada}

If you are a U.S. citizen, ensure you carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card.

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html#_s2a

{Re-entry into USA by USA Citizens}

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

So, you do not need to renew your passport. But, bring your birth certificate in case there is a problem. It will get you into Canada and the USA.

Edited by richmke

You don't have to renew it before the cruise but I probably would do it because if you forget to get it done after the cruise and it expires you will pay a lot more and have more paperwork to get a new one than you would to just renew it.

You don't really save anything since you'll have to renew it right after the cruise anyway!

Below is copied from the U.S. Government passport renewal site. Since most passports are good for 10 years, renewing within 5 yrs. of expiration is neither more difficult or costly:

(Beginning of copy)

Renew by Mail if All of the Following are True

Your Most Recent U.S. Passport:

Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application;

Was issued when you were age 16 or older;

Was issued within the last 15 years; and

Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change with original or certified copy of your marriage certificate or the government-issued document evidencing your legal name change.

(End of paste)

Another FYI, we took a European trip with passports that expired in 4 months. While it is true that some countries require 6 month validity to enter that country, most require 3 months or less. A Google search will tell you the requirements of any country you plan to visit.

The short answer is yes. You shouldn't travel on a passport if it has less than 6 months left.

"Many international travelers may not realize that having an unexpired passport is sometimes not enough to enter certain foreign countries. U.S. citizens traveling on passports that expire in fewer than six months have increasingly been denied airline boarding or been detained upon arrival in certain foreign destinations, including popular European travel destinations in the Schengen area. This is not a new requirement, but it is only recently that the requirement has been more strictly enforced.

U.S. passport holders who will have less than six months validity on their passport for upcoming international travel through the end of 2015 should consider renewing their passports now, so they can avoid delays due to increased passport demand in the weeks before Thanksgiving and at peak times throughout the year. It is especially important to check the passports of any minors who may be traveling. Passports for minors have a shorter validity period (5 years) than passports for adults (10 years) and thus may expire sooner.

The Bureau of Consular Affairs has updated its Schengen Fact Sheet on www.travel.state.gov. The 26 European countries comprising the Schengen area require that U.S. passports are valid for at least 90 days beyond the traveler’s intended date of departure for visa-free short-term tourism, business trips, or transit. Adherence varies from country to country. Some Schengen countries assume all travelers will stay the full three months allowed for visa-free visitors, meaning a visitor may not be admitted unless his/her passport is valid for at least six months, regardless of the duration of the stay. This requirement may also apply if a traveler is transiting a Schengen airport for several hours en route to a non-Schengen destination.

For all other destinations worldwide, the U.S. Department of State recommends that those traveling ensure that their passport has at least six months of validity beyond their dates of international travel to avoid unintended disruptions. Passport validity requirements for destination countries, along with other important information, can be found on our Country Specific Information pages at www.travel.state.gov.

To avoid uncertainty and ensure that travel plans are not disrupted, travelers should plan ahead to renew their passport before traveling. Visit our passport website for more information on applying for a new or renewal passport."

Please be real. The OP is traveling domestically, and doesn't need a passport at all. Every excuse about flying back, etc. is out the window they will be in the US, except for the last night of their cruise.

If you are going to renew before, get it in the mail ASAP. Here's why.

OP is not traveling for 15 months. What is the rush?

Some times I think people ignore the contents of the posts and answer based on the title alone.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

You don't have to renew it before the cruise but I probably would do it because if you forget to get it done after the cruise and it expires you will pay a lot more and have more paperwork to get a new one than you would to just renew it.

You don't really save anything since you'll have to renew it right after the cruise anyway!

Not unless they wait 5 years. You can renew a passport by mail up to 5 years after it expires, and there is no extra cost involved.

I am going to add my 2 pennyworth. It is not a good idea to have a passport that is only valid until 1 day after your return, what happens if there are problems and you are delayed you will be up the creek without a paddle. It is always a good idea to have at least 6 months left to run whenever you travel. However you still have a bit of time before you need to renew if you are traveling May 2017. Happy travels:)

Sometimes that is true but for a US citizen traveling domestically to Alaska it is not an issue, we can fly with just a photo ID, which typically is just a drivers license.

Neither do I. :confused: 8 weeks is what I normally allow. In the busy year I'd go for 3-4 months.

Instead of the arguing and snark here, why doesn't the OP go to the source of real accurate info and facts and not come here for the confusing opinions of many.

I asked here because I could not find the answer while doing a search. Each country requirements are different. I was asking about an Alaskan cruise returning to Seattle from Canada.

I may be going to Bermuda in October of 2017 so I was planning on doing it as soon as I return and then have it set for later that year.

Many Alaskan cruises make a port stop in Canada. Some even embark/disembark in Canada.

Almost every Alaska cruises either embarks, disembarks or stops in Canada. If it is a closed loop (Seattle to Seattle for example), the ship must make a stop in a foreign port. Who is to say the OP might not become injured or hurt on that one port day in Canada and need a passport that might expire during their treatment before they can get that flight home?

If I were traveling in May of 2017 under your circumstances, I would probably renew my passport in January or February of 2017

That is what I would do........

Actually, that is what I just did. :) I renewed last month.

Edited by sail7seas

^^^ This

It is to help you get back into the USA in the event you are delayed (hospitalized in Canada) and your passport expires before you get back to the USA.

Also:

So, you do not need to renew your passport. But, bring your birth certificate in case there is a problem. It will get you into Canada and the USA.

You cannot fly internationally without a valid passport. If their Passport that has one day validity after expected date of return expires before their emergency is resolved while in Canada, they will have to deal with the Consulate to get a waiver or passport renewed.

Here's what Carnival says:

"Carnival highly recommends that all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel-unless otherwise noted differently). This will enhance the debarkation experience as delays may be expected upon return to the United States for those without one. Additionally, this will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at a foreign port should they miss their scheduled port of embarkation and allow guests who must disembark the ship before their cruise ends due to an emergency to fly back to the U.S. without significant delays and complications."

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3409/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ1ODA2NzE3OC9zaWQvbkR5WG55TG0%3D

You did not read that it is a recommendation.

People should learn about passports. A USA passport is valid up to the expiration date for coming back into the USA. Canada also has allows the use until the expiration date.

Why confuse the OP with all the other Bull?

You did not read that it is a recommendation.

People should learn about passports. A USA passport is valid up to the expiration date for coming back into the USA. Canada also has allows the use until the expiration date.

Why confuse the OP with all the other Bull?

You are right about being readmitted to USA on a US Passport expiring next day. Who would want to cut it so close?

Think 9-11 when people were stranded out of the country for days.

Think strikes.

Think bad weather.

Think flight cancellations.

Think Cruise Ship Mechanical Problems......

Just Think....... ;)

I didn't say they couldn't I said they shouldn't.

Why shouldn't they? What is the big deal if they do? The only way this would be an issue is if something happened that kept them from returning before the passport expired and what are the odds of that happening?

You are right about being readmitted to USA on a US Passport expiring next day. Who would want to cut it so close?

Think strikes.

Think bad weather.

Just Think....... ;)

If I were on a closed loop cruise and my passport expired the day after the cruise ended I would have no qualms at all using it. I also would drive north 8 miles with one day left on my passport. Something could happen, yes, but chances are something won't. My personal travel plans will dictate my passport renewal rather than the expiration date.

Let me clarify my dates as well .. Return from cruise on May 8 and my passport expires on June 26. I would have to have a near death experience not to be able to get home in time.

As long as you are comfortable with it that is all that matters, there is certainly no regulatory requirement for you to renew.:)

Think strikes.

Think bad weather.

Just Think....... ;)

But the OPs passport has a month after they get back.

If you want to be a pessimist then you left out the common thing. Passport lost or stolen.

But the OPs passport has a month after they get back.

If you want to be a pessimist then you left out the common thing. Passport lost or stolen.

Lost or stolen is mostly out of my control.

Advance Renewal is in my control. :)

OMG, the passport is valid for travel to Canada and back until the day it expires, end of discussion. To the people that mention a medical problem,, or other problem, and not coming back on time, well you could have an accident and be in a coma for six months too, let's be realistic. Besides its Canada, it's like going to Wisconsin, not Czechoslovakia.