Stateroom location for crossing Tazmanian Sea

mauimary

We are looking to book a Celebrity Cruise which will include Australia and New Zealand. We have previously for other cruises booked an aft veranda. For those that have done these cruises would you recommend an aft or midship on a mid level deck. What I am really wanting to know is it tolerable or awful? I realize the Tazmanian Sea could be kind to us or really rough us up. any thoughts or comments will be appreciated.

Thankyou

Mauimary:)

I have sailed the Tasmanian Sea several times. The odds say you will have rough seas but you just never know.

I would recommend being mid deck and on a mid to lower deck.

Also just come prepared. We bring Bonine.

Keith

Agree with Mario. The Tasman Sea is actually usually calm, but any seas that far south you never know. Lower deck is a smaller issue and being a bit aft helps. If it is really stormy they simply do not go so don't worry.

Weather 100% whatever it will be and unpredictable.

Agree with Mario. The Tasman Sea is actually usually calm, but any seas that far south you never know. Lower deck is a smaller issue and being a bit aft helps. If it is really stormy they simply do not go so don't worry.

Weather 100% whatever it will be and unpredictable.

I've sailed these seas many times and was very surprised that you think they are usually calm. While we have sailed them when it was clam the majority of our sailings they were not calm. Just surprised that you said usually.

Either way at least we all agree that it is better to be safe than sorry. :)

Keith

From the Tasman Sea cruising guide.

Overview

The sea was named after the Dutch explorer Abel Tasman, who was the first recorded European to encounter New Zealand and Tasmania. The British explorer Captain James Cook later extensively navigated the Tasman Sea in the 1770s as part of his first voyage of exploration.

The Tasman Sea is informally referred to in both Australian and New Zealand English as The Ditch; for example, crossing the ditch means travelling to Australia from New Zealand, or vice versa. The diminutive term "The Ditch" used for the Tasman Sea is comparable to referring to the North Atlantic Ocean as "The Pond".

Although it has a reputation as being one of the roughest stretches of water in the world, at certain times of the year a Tasman Sea crossing can be pleasant and fairly placid. Be aware, however, that as recently as 2013 yachts have been lost in this region without trace (most recently the SV Nina) and so proper planning and preparation for any trip is most strongly advised.

Our experience crossing the Tasman Sea was a rough ride. It was a very unusual motion; kind of felt like being in a washing machine. Lots of things flying around and jerking motion. Fortunately it didn't last long.

Edited by Ma Bell

Deck 7 midships on Solstice is very good. We had 5 metre seas on one day across the Tasman and it wasn't too bad. It's just luck of the draw with the Tasman Sea.

Whether you choose port or starboard depends on which way around NZ you go. If you are starting at the top (Auckland, Bay of Islands) then pick starboard. If you go to Fiordland first then up the coast pick Port. That's assuming you want views of the NZ coastline, of course.

I agree with all of above. We had a rough sea in Jan 2014, you could not walk in a straight

line for two days. I have heard that reverse trip does not go to Tasmanian and goes to Melborne instead and is calmer. I have not done this cruise yet.

We've crossed the Tasman Sea 4 times now and each time was rough - twice in late February/early March, and twice in January. Our last sailing, just this last January, was probably the calmest, but still pretty rocky. Luckily neither of us gets seasick. We had a aft facing cabin on the Solstice and loved it.

We are looking to book a Celebrity Cruise which will include Australia and New Zealand. We have previously for other cruises booked an aft veranda. For those that have done these cruises would you recommend an aft or midship on a mid level deck. What I am really wanting to know is it tolerable or awful? I realize the Tazmanian Sea could be kind to us or really rough us up. any thoughts or comments will be appreciated.

Thankyou

First off all, the only thing that you can be certain of is that the seas will be wet. Also, tolerable depends upon the person being subjected to the seas. I love big wave and a rocking ship does not bother me. My wife hates both which is the reason that we book a midships lower level cabin.

DON

I agree with all of above. We had a rough sea in Jan 2014, you could not walk in a straight

line for two days. I have heard that reverse trip does not go to Tasmanian and goes to Melborne instead and is calmer. I have not done this cruise yet.

Going from Sydney to the top of the North Island (Bay of Islands or Auckland), or vice versa, there is a higher chance of smoother seas.

Going from the bottom of the South Island (Fiordland) to Tasmania or Melbourne there is a higher chance of encountering rough seas. There isn't a lot of difference in a Tasmania or Melbourne port stop from that part of NZ.

Top of the North Island to Melbourne, probably a 50-50 chance.

This significant wave height map gives an idea of how the seas move between NZ and Australia - reduce the size by clicking on the "-" then drag the map across until you see both countries. You can change the date/time of the prediction so can see how the patterns develop. http://www.metservice.com/maps-radar/marine-forecast-maps/significant-wave-height

The Solstice handles rough seas extremely we. I've sailed on her in a 7 metre swell off the West Coast of NZ and it was definitely tolerable. Midships is the best place to be if you are worried.

Thank you to everyone for your advice. We have done many cruises in aft staterooms and are pretty spoiled by the location. Have also been in some very rough seas which we find more annoying than anything. We haven't booked yet as we will probably wait until 2017 when DH is retired and we have more time. We were also thinking deck seven or eight midship to be safe. Pretty certain we want a veranda.

We are considering the cruise from Honolulu to Sydney. Tahitian Treasures I believe it is called and combine it with an Australian Coast and Bali that ends in Singapore. We have spent lots of time in the Hawaiian Islands. We are thinking the cruise would be nice to break up some of the long haul flights from the west coast. We could break up the flights by stays in Hawaii both directions.

Would love to do an aft but are hesitant. We are pretty sure we want to save New Zealand for another cruise.

We crossed the Tasman Sea from south island to Melbourne a couple of weeks ago in an aft cabin. We'd heard about how rough it can be and expected a rough ride. It was fine - with waves only around 3ft high. I guess it's just the luck of the draw.

We are good sailors who don't suffer from motion sickness and huge aft-lovers so I wouldn't forego an aft cabin on the off-chance that you may have a day or two of heavy seas. It's your decision as to how well you would tolerate a few rough days.