Cash Tips for better service at Bars

UFLaw

I may get blasted for this, however, we were on the Indy last thanksgiving and are doing so again for Spring Break with our kids.

When we were on the Thanksgiving cruise I had only one really good experience at one of the bars (Olive or Twist).

So, would I do better to tip out a specific bar/bartender with cash? We are doing the Premium package so feel like they aren't really tipped with every drink.

Thanks for any inputs (and flames lol)!

Cheers

I may get blasted for this, however, we were on the Indy last thanksgiving and are doing so again for Spring Break with our kids.

When we were on the Thanksgiving cruise I had only one really good experience at one of the bars (Olive or Twist).

So, would I do better to tip out a specific bar/bartender with cash? We are doing the Premium package so feel like they aren't really tipped with every drink.

Cheers

At the pool bars we always tipped $1-2 per round and saw a marked difference in service.

They remembered us and would bring us new drinks before the old ones were done. We did the premium package as well. The 1-2$ is WELL worth it.

Cheers

We were also on the Thanksgiving cruise on the Indy....we had the best service in Olive or Twist and tipped an extra $10 or so per night (3-4 of us with drink packages). The service was good prior to the tip but Marlon was the best bartender and deserved more.

We get premium package and add a tip with most orders, I thought bar service was excellent on last 2 cruises with the package. Will get package again , we take at least 50 in ones and at least 50 in fives for tips and small change when going to ports.

i like to tip too, but the tip money is split between the bartenders. so the one you tip doesn't get all the money

So the best way to tip is CASH!

As a retired bartender this makes sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't get a package but we do tip extra when ordering a drink. We always add it to our receipt. Is there a true difference between giving cash or adding to room tab?

The difference is the cash is right now, adding it to the tab means it goes on their paycheck. Both ways are equally appreciated, however as said above cash is king because they can spend it that night on a few beers of their own, or a calling card, etc.

You WILL build a reputation if you tip extra, the roving servers will make extra trips to where you are sitting, if you are simply passing thru their area you will get a "questioning point". A thumbs up or a nod will get you your regular drink.

We were also on the Thanksgiving cruise on the Indy....we had the best service in Olive or Twist and tipped an extra $10 or so per night (3-4 of us with drink packages). The service was good prior to the tip but Marlon was the best bartender and deserved more.

I am pretty sure we drank together at the O&T! We did the same. But did used cash. Marlon rocked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't tip with every drink and will never do. That said I don't cruise super popular / caribbean cruises.

I do like to tip at the end because if someone gives me great service for several days even though knowing I am from Europe and not used to the US way of tipping and has never seen me tip then they really deserve it.

Doesn't 18% automatically get added, so with a $1 a drink that brings the tip to almost 30% . Coming from a country where the norm is 15-% this seems pretty high and surely you shouldn't have to tip extra to get good service

Doesn't 18% automatically get added, so with a $1 a drink that brings the tip to almost 30% . Coming from a country where the norm is 15-% this seems pretty high and surely you shouldn't have to tip extra to get good service
Yes it does, and if you have purchased a package you have already pre-paid the 18% gratuity.

Had the premium package last year on Enchantment and the service even with a $ tip was bad.

Had the premium package on Serenade last month and service was stellar even without an extra tip.

The only place I tipped was in the Concierge lounge and as a result even though we only ever went in for 1 drink, they were poured as soon as we entered and either on the bar within seconds or delivered to the table.

back in time when I was a student (like most) I worked holidays in the catering trade- I would have taken it as a major offence if someone handed me a tip before I served then - That is NOT a tip that is bribery - and I was perfectly capable of doing my job well without being bribed to do so - I have just discussed this with my 2 girls and their friends - one just graduated and worked waitressing over the last few years and my 2nd just started uni this year and plans to get a bar job in the summer- her boyfriend and friend (bar tenders now) were also in the discussion and they agreed - this is not how they want their tips - At the end for good service is the polite, non-crass way of doing it. In fact he said if someone came in his bar waving cash about ahead of service it would be seen as one sure fired way to wined up the staff and he is sure their service would suffer. To us in UK its a money versus manners thing.

back in time when I was a student (like most) I worked holidays in the catering trade- I would have taken it as a major offence if someone handed me a tip before I served then - That is NOT a tip that is bribery - and I was perfectly capable of doing my job well without being bribed to do so - I have just discussed this with my 2 girls and their friends - one just graduated and worked waitressing over the last few years and my 2nd just started uni this year and plans to get a bar job in the summer- her boyfriend and friend (bar tenders now) were also in the discussion and they agreed - this is not how they want their tips - At the end for good service is the polite, non-crass way of doing it. In fact he said if someone came in his bar waving cash about ahead of service it would be seen as one sure fired way to wined up the staff and he is sure their service would suffer. To us in UK its a money versus manners thing.
It's a cultural thing. I agree with you having worked in bars a lot, wave money at me for service and I'd have been insulted as I prided myself in providing excellent service, tip or not.

However, in other cultures, handing a tip over as you order is seen as normal practice 'to insure prompt service' so that's how they like to do it.

Edited by peteukmcr

I agree, but the way it was explained to me (and maybe this varies by ship) the gratuities from the packages go into a pool and get shared by the bar staff, without regard to how many drinks each person serves.

It's a cultural thing. I agree with you having worked in bars a lot, wave money at me for service and I'd have been insulted as I prided myself in providing excellent service, tip or not.

However, in other cultures, handing a tip over as you order is seen as normal practice 'to insure prompt service' so that's how they like to do it.

I understand that - but the problem in that the staff working on a ship are from many cultures - our last cruise we had many eastern EU workers as well as many Asian staff - One of those in my discussions is in fact Asian and she thought the same as us. My SIL is Bulgarian (eastern EU) she would also be insulted. When out with her, a tip must never be handed over openly even after service- it must be a discrete jester. Even putting your bag/ purse on the table is Bulgaria seen as very impolite (and may bring bad luck) as is may display that you want to give a bribe improve/jump ahead for service.

*pedant hat*

1. That's what's known as a backronym

2. You insure against things. TEP (to ensure prompt service) would be more accurate.

3. Bribery is seen as a normal part of business in some cultures, but in most of the world it's seen as highly offensive.

*pedant hat*

1. That's what's known as a backronym

2. You insure against things. TEP (to ensure prompt service) would be more accurate.

3. Bribery is seen as a normal part of business in some cultures, but in most of the world it's seen as highly offensive.

:confused: I only mentioned what some people see as the definition of 'tips' and I agree 'ensure' would be more accurate, but it's commonly known as 'tip'. Don't shoot the messenger:D

So the best way to handle tipping would be to tip after the person takes care of you with no expectation of a tip. I do like the idea of carrying ones and fives (granted get a little soggy in the pool).

If I find a bartender/staff who provides great service then I do plan to tip them something extra.

I highly doubt that any of the staff will complain for some extra cash for a job well done. It will also help in the future for a good pour and them knowing I appreciate a job well done.

The reason this came up was there was a cruise a week ago with a lot of spring breakers (college) and apparently service was very pour.