Any discount for Captains Club and or one category upgrade ?

downundermatt

We are Elite with Celebrity but never get any discount when entering our Captains Club Numbers ? Are we the only ones ? Am not feeling the love from Celebrity ..... and ready to book a back to back if the deal is right.

Does anyone get a reduced price when entering their CC Number ?

Maybe Aussies miss out :(:eek:

My understanding is we can get a one category Captains Club upgrade when booking - but this can only be done when booking - does this mean we should not book on line ? must either go thru an agent or phone Celebrity direct - seems to defeat the purpose of online booking. Or does one need to call Celebrity immediately after booking.

Thanks for any advice

There is no permanent discount for CC other than the one cat upgrade, you need to call them to get this. I usually hold a cabin on the .com site and then ring.

There are sometimes offers for CC, you can see them in the CC section of the website under savings certificate, they may be applicable to your cruise but you can see from the list provided which changes regularly.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/captains-club-saving-certificate

The way Celebrity does it is a bit backwards but given their website challenges it is one of the more minor problems. The one category upgrade needs to be done live with Celebrity or your TA. Wish it was like HAL where you get a discount and that discount shows when you log in.

Don't think of it so much as an Upgrade but as a Down Price. You book the cabin you want and they charge you the price of the category just below it.

Book category 7 at a category 8 price, etc.

Have to disagree...we get a one category CDC upgrade every time we book.

Have to disagree...we get a one category CDC upgrade every time we book.

I think you misunderstood what cruisestitch posted - it's exactly the same as you implied i.e. you pay for a C3 but get a C2 cabin. Cruisestitch was stating the same but the other way round i.e. get a C2 cabin at the C3 price ;).

It's a subtle difference but to me an important one. I pick the stateroom I want and then pay a lower price for it. That's different than booking a lower price stateroom and getting an "upgrade" to somewhere I perhaps don't want to be, then having to change that to the location I wanted in the first place.

This is not true. I have done it before, and have a C2 to a C1 upgrade booked on a cruise later this year.

Well it must have been a mistake as C1 is exempt from the upgrade offer, as is SV and FV ;). From X's website:

'One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking.'

Edited by villauk

This is not true. I have done it before, and have a C2 to a C1 upgrade booked on a cruise later this year.

Then someone messed up and you should keep quiet.

Here are the terms and conditions.

One-Category Upgrade

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking.

Then someone messed up and you should keep quiet.

Here are the terms and conditions.

One-Category Upgrade

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking.

I guess you right. Maybe the rules have changed. I booked this cruise over a year ago.

Rules have not changed. I do note there are times that the difference between C1 and C2 is virtually zero. Thus the "upgrade" is possible. Booked a 2A recently and was invoiced for the 2B cost. Difference at the time was exactly $20.

And for the OP - must be done on when booked on the phone or in person. Cannot do even 10 minutes later.

The Captain's Club upgrade offer definitely does not include booking a C1 and getting the price of a C2. (Perhaps you upgraded after the original booking?) The C1's are "coveted" cabins, and as others have said, are not included! Or, as wrk2cruise said "someone messed up".

Interesting, I misunderstood that C1 wording myself. I thought that you would not be able to book a C1 and then get the upgrade to the higher category, which I guessed was to an A.

I thought the wording meant that booking the highest category cabin in a level (supercategory), like the 12, meant you could not get the upgrade to OV, as you were going in a different supercategory, so only upgrade within the level you are booking. The 12 would not be a coveted class of cabin surely?

So I thought, maybe wrongly, that if you booked the C2 then the upgrade was to a C1, but if you book the C1 then you can not ask to be upgraded one more step as you are at the top of that category?

I notice that when I book online on the Australian site there is a notification in red to ring the USA number to get your captain's club benefit. I guessed it was so you could get the discount applied?

I don't like to ring and get anything changed on a booking, as I like to be able to make payments and cancel online without having to ring, and I am concerned that once they interfere with my booking my online ability to do stuff will get locked out. I figure for the $20 or $30 my time on the phone ringing USA is not attractive.

After having rung RCI so many times over different bookings, it has been pretty rare to make anything work in one phone call. It always seems to have a glitch that something else gets changed and getting things back is really time wasting and frustrating. As Celebrity is the same phone number for us in Aus, I just don't want to go there.

Interesting, I misunderstood that C1 wording myself. I thought that you would not be able to book a C1 and then get the upgrade to the higher category, which I guessed was to an A.

I thought the wording meant that booking the highest category cabin in a level (supercategory), like the 12, meant you could not get the upgrade to OV, as you were going in a different supercategory, so only upgrade within the level you are booking. The 12 would not be a coveted class of cabin surely?

So I thought, maybe wrongly, that if you booked the C2 then the upgrade was to a C1, but if you book the C1 then you can not ask to be upgraded one more step as you are at the top of that category?

I notice that when I book online on the Australian site there is a notification in red to ring the USA number to get your captain's club benefit. I guessed it was so you could get the discount applied?

I don't like to ring and get anything changed on a booking, as I like to be able to make payments and cancel online without having to ring, and I am concerned that once they interfere with my booking my online ability to do stuff will get locked out. I figure for the $20 or $30 my time on the phone ringing USA is not attractive.

After having rung RCI so many times over different bookings, it has been pretty rare to make anything work in one phone call. It always seems to have a glitch that something else gets changed and getting things back is really time wasting and frustrating. As Celebrity is the same phone number for us in Aus, I just don't want to go there.

The first two sentences of the T&C explain the no upgrade between supercategories, only within, and then it continues to state exclusions for upgrade. If it was as you interpret, there would be no need for the explanation of excluded categories as all of those are at the 'top' of their supercategory, so no passing across anyway (with the exception of 12),

I have both a C1 and FV booked for this year and was unable to qualify for the one category upgrade on either. Bayonne was just a 'lucky Joe' :D

Edited by villauk

ha! yes, that is right :) Maybe they are actually sought after!

It's more likely 12 is included in the exemption because X don't want to be left with lots of the least expensive cabins as many pax would possibly qualify for the upgrade. They can easily sell those cabins as GTYs near sail date, so best not give the cheapest cabins away as soon as inventories open by providing the 'free' upgrade ;). Of course, only my thoughts.

FWIW.....when I booked an OV cabin for our British Isles cruise there were only category 8 cabins available. Just last month one category 7 cabin opened up. I called my bigbox TA to see if it might be possible to move using the Cap't Club one category upgrade benefit. I was doubtful it could be done, but it never hurts to ask, right?

Was able to move and kept all perks in place at time of booking without paying a penny more!

I booked a 2C Balcony for a cruise in Jan 2017 and decided I wanted to changed cabins next to friends on the same cruise. They were in a 2B cabin.

I phoned Celebrity and they advised that as I was a Captains Club member I could get a free upgrade and they changed our cabins.

This was done months after our booking was made.