Maasdam No

fred 15

Just got home today from Maasdam P.C. cruise.

Never again. Poor boarding, poor disembarkation, poor food and service. Lawrence, the lecturer we had on Regatta was good here, as was the lounge entertainment and staff. I am going back to Oceania

PC = politically correct?

What is this about?

Fred 15

<snip>

That is what the OP wrote.

With all the abbreviations everyone tosses around these days, we get to guess, don't we?

Edited by sail7seas

Big grin!

:)

:D :D LOL...... How was I to know which he meant?

OK, Panama Canal cruise. That makes sense. Thanks CC.

Oh, Panama Canal.

PC = Politically Correct

PC = Panama Canal

Both work for me. :)

Panama Canal perhaps? I'm pretty sure the maasdam is doing a couple of canal cruises in March.

That's how I read it in its context. "P.C. cruise" immediately said to my eyes: "Panama Canal Cruise"

BUT.......No matter how any of us reads it, the OP still did not seem to like his/her (see, I can be PC:D) P.C. Cruise on Maasdam.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Would love a more detailed review as we will be sailing on the Maasdam soon!

We were on the 47 day cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to FT Lauderdale via Rio. There were a few issues early in the cruise but they were fixed. We had a wonderful cruise. We had no problems. The staff were great and our cabin was good. The common areas were well maintained.All in all a great experience

Never again. Poor boarding, poor disembarkation, poor food and service. Lawrence, the lecturer we had on Regatta was good here, as was the lounge entertainment and staff. I am going back to Oceania

Sorry to hear that. It's not the first time the Maasdam has gotten a poor report, and a friend sailed on her last year and it was not a good experience.:(

I think when Maasdam (or any ship) gets these bad reports, it is sometimes because there was a broken toilet in their cabin. There was a malfunctioning a/c in their cabin. They didn't like the entertainment. They had crummy weather. etc etc

I am not saying these are not all real, not important and not valid complaints. We all know each of us decides for ourselves what is tolerable, acceptable and what is 'cruise destroying'.

If my toilet works, if I love my cabin and dining stewards, if I love the hot and humid weather and don't care in the least who is singing (or not) in the show lounge, I'm probably having a great cruise.

If my toilet consistently needs a plumber, I have to go in the middle of the night to find a public toilet to use, my cabin has stained carpet and a broken tile on the bathroom floor. If I really enjoy fish but don't like the strange named species HAL sometimes serves and my neighbors continuously smoke on the verandah ...... I'm not having a great cruise.

Same ship, same sailing, same date.......

Both are reporting exactly how they felt about 'their' cruise.

Their comments are totally real and valid. But their experience was quite different.

Edited by sail7seas

That isn't a fair comparison because HAL is a mass market cruise line. We actually had very good food and dining room service when we were on Maasdam last May. We were more disappointed in the condition of the ship and fact there was nothing to do if one wanted to skip the ports or take a short tour or walk and spend most of the day in port instead of on the ship. We boarded at 4:00pm due to Noro on the previous cruise missing our embarkation lunch. The captain and crew never even mentioned it.

Edited by Jade13

We were on the 47 day cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to FT Lauderdale via Rio. There were a few issues early in the cruise but they were fixed. We had a wonderful cruise. We had no problems. The staff were great and our cabin was good. The common areas were well maintained.All in all a great experience

Was that 2016 or 2015? We were on the second half of the 2015 version and several people had plumbing type problems including flooding of cabins. I know some got relocated. Even those with those problems seemed to still have a good cruise as did we. The food, service etc were very good, normal HAL standards.

I am sorry the OP did not enjoy their cruise, that does happen sometimes, however it's not realistic to expect the same things on HAL as Oceania. That's why Oceania can charge so much more.

HAL needs to get off the dime and stop milking their old ships.

Either sell them off or invest some real money in bringing them up to standard. I don't mean a lick of paint, new carpeting here and there, or some replacement soft goods. They need to invest in those areas that people don't see but rather experience. Or not experience as the case may be. Like AC and plumbing systems for a start.

Until then we avoid the oldies because we are not about to chance that they will not be goodies. Too many other great ships out there to experience-on HAL and on other cruise lines.

Edited by iancal

I think when Maasdam (or any ship) gets these bad reports, it is sometimes because there was a broken toilet in their cabin. There was a malfunctioning a/c in their cabin. They didn't like the entertainment. They had crummy weather. etc etc

I am not saying these are not all real, not important and not valid complaints. We all know each of us decides for ourselves what is tolerable, acceptable and what is 'cruise destroying'.

If my toilet works, if I love my cabin and dining stewards, if I love the hot and humid weather and don't care in the least who is singing (or not) in the show lounge, I'm probably having a great cruise.

If my toilet consistently needs a plumber, I have to go in the middle of the night to find a public toilet to use, my cabin has stained carpet and a broken tile on the bathroom floor. If I really enjoy fish but don't like the strange named species HAL sometimes serves and my neighbors continuously smoke on the verandah ...... I'm not having a great cruise.

Same ship, same sailing, same date.......

Both are reporting exactly how they felt about 'their' cruise.

Their comments are totally real and valid. But their experience was quite different.

Very true. I see that in the reviews all the time. Same cruise, one thought the food was bad, one loved the food, One hated the band, one loved the band etc. Gotta take it all with a grain of salt.

Hi,

Was that cruise this year?

Maasdam Yes. I agree everyone has there own experience and feelings on a particular cruise. I've been on several cruises were we had chain smokers in the balcony next to ours. I'm allergic to smoke and was not able to enjoy the balcony. Did it ruin my cruise, no, I did other things on the ship. That's one of the things I love about Maasdam, the Lanai cabin. We went on a 10 day cruise on the Maasdam last April with two other friends. Is the ship older, yes. Did it get me down, no. Did it bum my friends out, nope. I love the small ship feel and the crew was fantastic. The food was awesome.

March 27th my DW and 5 friends, two first time cruisers, are going on an 11 day cruise on the Maasdam. Will the cruise be free of problems, nope. Will I have a great time, yes. For me, I'm on a classic, refined cruise ship that's going to exotic locales, I'm being served great food, by very friendly people. I'm not at work! My cares and daily worries are not with me. I can read a book and watch the world go by. I can sleep in or wake up early and see the sunrise. I can walk around the ship at midnight and it feels like I'm the only one up. I can order a cheeseburger at 2am and its delivered to my room! I can sign and dance and people cheer you on! I meet new and interesting people. Can I have a bad cruise, I guess, but I'd really have to work for it. [emoji6] Happy sailing!