Another Post Cruise Miami Question

zorbarick

I've done a lot a searching on the Boards, and think I have my options pretty well sorted out, but I'm still looking for opinions from those "in the know." We are on the NCL Getaway which arrives into Miami on Sunday, April 10. We have a flight out of FLL at 3:00pm, which seems to be right on the cusp in terms of having enough time to do something before heading to the airport without ending up feeling rushed.

I've narrowed things down to three choices. (Note that we are 2 adults and 2 kids, ages 12 and 8).

1. Stay on the ship as late as reasonably possible, and then just head to the airport. We're in a Suite, so I suspect we could have a fairly relaxed morning, have breakfast in the Haven, and then wander off the ship sometime between 9:30 and 10:00. We could use a car service or Uber for, I'm guessing, $100 or less. We'd probably get to the airport by 11:00, which is pretty early, but if you figure security lines and time for a sit-down lunch, it might not be too bad.

2. Take NCL's offered Miami City Hop-On, Hop Off bus tour that drops you off at FLL. It costs about $190 for the four of us, departs at 8:30, and would presumably drop us off at FLL around 1:30. My concern is that the reviews of the bus are not all that great, and if we wound up on the inside of one that has no working A/C (which lots of people report), it would not be enjoyable at all, especially with the kids. I also don't think we'd have a lot of time for "exploring." The main loop takes 90 minutes, so I think we'd probably only be able to "hop off" one time (maybe twice) in order to get back in time to take the bus to the airport.

3. Take an Uber to the Savoy Hotel on South Beach, and pay $25/pp for their pool area passes. We could hang out all the pool/beach for a few hours, grab an early lunch, and then take an Uber to FLL. This would probably cost around $200, not counting what we spend on lunch, but it sounds a lot nicer than the bus tour. Apparently, we'd have access to their fitness center if anyone wants to take a quick shower before we head to the airport. Using this option, we could decide that morning how early we want to get off the ship and how much time we'd then have at the Savoy.

I'm also open to other good ideas that fit within our time constraints, but I think the three options above probably make the most sense. Thanks in advance for any advice!

I would go with option 3 or any option where you get off last and go somewhere to have lunch.

Do not go with option 1. Fort Lauderdale unlike Miami does not allow you to check in luggage very early so you would have to wait at the check in area before you could go through security and have lunch. And personally I think most of the areas in the airport are very boring and don't have much in the way of restaurants and even stores to make the time go faster.

I would have lunch in Miami or Fort Lauderdale and then get to the airport at 1:00 PM.

And this is coming from someone who visits South Florida once or twice a year on cruises and one who spent way too much time at the Fort Lauderdale airport this past January and won't repeat that scenario again.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Option three is certainly workable but for a 3:00 flight from FLL you would have to be on the road no later than 12:30 (12:15 or even 12:00 would be better) on an April Sunday afternoon when traffic on South Beach will be agonizingly slow--and check in at FLL likely the same. You would absolutely need to be one of the first off the ship in order to get a couple hours beach or pool time before an early brunch. And you will definitely need to be seated at a restaurant before 11:00; service at South Beach restaurants is notoriously leisurely.

If you chose the HoHo bus option again you need to be sure you will be on the transfer bus to FLL by 12:30, meaning even one hop-off may be risky between Sunday traffic and the real possibility that the next bus to hop back on to is already full when reaching your stop. And I believe where the HoHo stops closest to PortMiami and where the cruise line transfer buses wait is far apart, requiring a long walk or possibly an intermediate shuttle bus.

Edited by fishywood

Thank you both for the advice. I've definitely written off options 1 and 2 based on your comments. We will likely either go with option 3 or come up with some other option that just involves lunch (and won't cost us $25/pp for what could end up being a very short stay at the Savoy).

I think if we decide to commit to getting up early and getting off the ship fast, Option 3 is our best bet. If we decide to go with a lazier morning, I may just hire a car and have them drive us through South Beach, find us a place for lunch, and then head to FLL.

We got off Escape around 10:15 on a Saturday, through customs by 10:45, picked up an Uber and made it to FLL barely before noon. If you went that route you wouldn't have all that much time to burn.

You can check luggage at the baggage claim area 5hrs ahead of your flight. They won't allow you to the check in upstairs or get to the gate area until 2hrs prior to your departure time.

If you did get off the ship earlier I would just find a place for a late breakfast/early lunch, hang out a bit and call it a day.

We got off Escape around 10:15 on a Saturday, through customs by 10:45, picked up an Uber and made it to FLL barely before noon. If you went that route you wouldn't have all that much time to burn.

You can check luggage at the baggage claim area 5hrs ahead of your flight. They won't allow you to the check in upstairs or get to the gate area until 2hrs prior to your departure time.

If you did get off the ship earlier I would just find a place for a late breakfast/early lunch, hang out a bit and call it a day.

This really was not our experience.

This will vary by airline but some are three hours for check in.

Once we checked in we could go to the gate as early as we wanted.

The issue is that this is a very boring airport. So little to do. I just wouldn't have lunch here if one can avoid it.

Keith

Just as an FYI for others in this position, I'm flying Southwest, and their stated policy is that you cannot check bags earlier than four hours before the flight. I suspect how strict they are regarding this may depend on the airport, the day, and who you are talking with, but you should be safe at the four hour mark.

For anyone who wants to read the details, the Southwest Contract of Carriage can be found at this link: https://www.southwest.com/assets/pdfs/corporate-commitments/contract-of-carriage.pdf

On page 24, section 7(d)(1) reads: "Carrier will not accept or hold Baggage from a Passenger on day of travel at Carrier’s airport ticket counter or curbside check-in locations (where available) if tendered to Carrier earlier than four hours in advance of flight departure time."

Obviously, if you're flying another airline, they may have completely different rules.

Option 4

Have early breakfast onboard. Send 1 adult (or everyone could go), to catch the POM Avis or Alamo shuttle to pick up a car at MIA. Tour around on your own on SoBe or Fort Lauderdale. Have lunch somewhere on route. Drop car at FLL at about 1:30 and be on your way.

You could also use the luggage express program to send your bags direct to FLL and you won't see them until you get to your home destination. This would save the hassle of dealing with your bags.

Check out the price of One-Way car rental from POM and MIA to FLL. No reason to go to the airport if you don't have too. Many of the Car Rental companies have shuttles from the POM terminal to their rental locations.

I like option 4.

Get off the ship around 10 after breakfast and after you've sent someone to pick up the rental car, hit A1A and drive up the beach towards Fort Lauderdale.

I would suggest somewhere like Quarterdeck on the beach at Dania Beach for lunch, then head to the airport.

You don't have near the time you think you have.

It will take you an hour to get from POM to FLL.

South Beach is going to be a zoo on Sunday, April 10th so I highly suggest you take this off your agenda. That weekend is Miami Gay Pride weekend and it will be very crowded. The parade goes the length of Ocean drive.

http://www.miamibeachgaypride.com

BlueHerons has made a great suggestion for the day and it would be the option I would do.

South Beach is going to be a zoo on Sunday, April 10th so I highly suggest you take this off your agenda. That weekend is Miami Gay Pride weekend and it will be very crowded. The parade goes the length of Ocean drive.

http://www.miamibeachgaypride.com

BlueHerons has made a great suggestion for the day and it would be the option I would do.

by the way, it's a great weekend at South Beach, lots of fun!!! Just really crowded.

Thanks for all the additional responses -- and especially the heads up that South Beach will be crazy busy on April 10. I think we'll avoid that; it's going to be a really long day as it is, and crowds and chaos are not high on my agenda for that morning.

I also sort of like the suggestion of a one way car rental, but I am concerned that it will be more of a hassle than it is worth. I think I'm now leaning towards a relaxing morning on the ship, rather than a mad dash to be one of the first off (again, it's going to be a LONG DAY before we get home). And I've read several reports of long lines and delays at the rental car desks if you aren't one of the "early birds".

Based on everything I've read, my new plan is to get off the ship late and reserve a car with Larrys Limos. We can head towards the airport and see how much time we have once we get in the area. We can have a bite to eat and maybe spend an hour at a beach wandering around.

This is admittedly not the cheapest alternative -- a 3 1/2 hour rental (10:00am to 1:30pm) of a 6 passenger SUV is about $250 with gratuity -- but it should eliminate a lot of the stress of the morning.

Option 4

You could also use the luggage express program to send your bags direct to FLL and you won't see them until you get to your home destination. This would save the hassle of dealing with your bags.

I think this is the first I'm hearing about the "luggage express program," how do i get that?

Thank you

I think this is the first I'm hearing about the "luggage express program," how do i get that?

Thank you

It is not always offered at every port, so I would confirm with passengers services upon embarkation. In the meantime, post the questions about availability and process on the board for your specific cruise line.

On Princess the program is called EZ Check (and I'm pretty sure it is the same process on other cruise lines but others will chime in). A few days before the end of the cruise passengers receive a sign up sheet with the information on the program (which airlines are participating, the earliest flight time, cost, etc.). Complete the form and return it to passenger services. You will receive luggage tags with your scheduled disembarkation time. The night before departure you will receive your boarding pass for your flight and you put out your luggage and don't see it again until you arrive at your home airport.

Edited by capriccio

Yes it's available! On RCL it's called Luggage Valet. My port and Airline is listed, but no price. Hmmm... :) Maybe someone knows more details.

Check the RCL board - or maybe give them a call.