empress first 6 sailings canelled

baron9

Cultural Exchange is one of the approved categories, I believe. This could easily be used by any cruise company traveling to Cuba.

While President Obama did not go into details in his very eloquent speech to the Cuban people this morning, he did specifically mention changes coming 'immediately' to ease travel restrictions.

As of a few days ago:

Yes have a President that has a pen.

Reported by News Network Fox:

"The United States is removing Cuba from its list of countries deemed to have insufficient security in their ports, eliminating a major impediment to free flow of ships in the Florida Straits. The move marks one more step toward normalized relations ahead of President Barack Obama's historic trip to Cuba.

The shift clears the way for U.S. cruise ships, cargo vessels and even ferries to travel back and forth with much less hassle."

"U.S. cruise lines including Carnival are gearing up to start sailing to Cuba as Americans, ... The Obama administration has started giving approval to U.S. cruise lines to operate there, though they need corresponding approval from the U.S. government.

Millions of Americans are expected to visit Cuba in the coming years in a sharp increase, although a formal U.S. ban on tourism technically remains in effect."

And the President can do all he wants to "normalize" diplomatic relations, and "free up" travel restrictions. The problem comes with the fact that Congress, not the President, has passed an economic embargo that prohibits US citizens from spending money in Cuba, except in 12 very specific instances, cultural exchange being one, and the one that the cruise ships will use. So, you can fly, or take a ferry to Cuba, but you are prohibited from spending any money there. How do you tour, or eat, or book a hotel? This is why the fathom excursions are all listed as cultural exchange, and are mandatory for the cruise, and little to no free time ashore is allowed.

At the risk of pissing off that many people I'd say you are probably right.

Uhhhhhh.... In case you didn't notice, they don't really care a whole lot about doing that.

Shall we ask the first 6 already cancelled sailings passengers including myself if they/we are pissed.

It's a joke to think they would even hesitate for a second to cancel more and rebook at 3 times the rate for Cuba cruises instead.

Edited by Powersboyee2

Uhhhhhh.... In case you didn't notice, they don't really care a whole lot about doing that.

Shall we ask the first 6 already cancelled sailings passengers including myself if they/we are pissed.

It's a joke to think they would even hesitate for a second to cancel more and rebook at 3 times the rate for Cuba cruises instead.

I feel for you all that have had the Empress' cruises cancelled, but I'm skeptical that it was to switch to Cuba early. I have no idea how far along RCI is with their groundwork for Cuba cruises, I know they have to register with a non-profit organization to get the cultural exchange designation, and I don't know how much infrastructure they have gotten up in Cuba for these mandatory cultural exchanges. I don't think this is something that they could just pull the trigger on.

Exactly. The embargo is still in place. Cuba is not open to American tourism. A ship cannot just change it's itinerary to include Cuba...not under current laws. Americans still need to meet the approved categories for travel to Cuba, and cruises from the U.S. are going under the humanitarian flag and require volunteer work.

Which of those catagories do Obama's kids and mother-in-law fall under?

I completely sympathize with your plight and I know you're frustrated but we're talking 3 months of booked cruises. I don't think that will happen.

What's with the Cube hate? It's not like you would be going there to have lunch with government officials.

Tell that to the person doing the background check for your top secret clearance.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

What's with the Cube hate? It's not like you would be going there to have lunch with government officials.

I'm not criticizing anyone that wants to visit Cuba but besides jailing dissidents and other civil rights violations let's not forget Cuba:

• Stole millions from US companies doing business in their country
  • Pointed nuclear missiles at the US
  • Possibly conspired in the assassination of a US President
  • Exported their revolution to three Central American countries
  • Shot down two unarmed US civilian aircraft that were doing leaflet drops
  • Emptied their prisons of some of their worst criminals and sent them to the US

Right or wrong, they're just a few reasons why some people have a different perspective on Cuba and who do you think benefits most from tourism to that country?

Edited by Big_G

:confused:After reading all the speculations of what might be wrong, it appears that balconies being added was one of the issues and when I checked the RCCL website last night every balcony room on every cruise was listed as sold out. I find this a bit odd. I am now wondering if that might be the delay.

I am on the May 14th sailing and am hoping that we do not get cancelled. I love RCCL, but it is truly a shame that they are not making this situation easier on their customers.

I hesitated to post since cruise critic has become so volatile. It used to be be full of useful information and now it appears to be a battleground.

:confused:After reading all the speculations of what might be wrong, it appears that balconies being added was one of the issues and when I checked the RCCL website last night every balcony room on every cruise was listed as sold out. I find this a bit odd. I am now wondering if that might be the delay.

I am on the May 14th sailing and am hoping that we do not get cancelled. I love RCCL, but it is truly a shame that they are not making this situation easier on their customers.

I hesitated to post since cruise critic has become so volatile. It used to be be full of useful information and now it appears to be a battleground.

Empress doesn't technically have balcony rooms per say. They are all considered junior suites or higher. This is why they don't show up on the website. They are all under the deluxe section.

It looks like the prices simply aligned. Apparently not true for poor coaster.

I booked early and prices were much lower with the C&A discount. The difference to transfer to Brilliance on April 14th from our cancelled April 11th cruise would of been $440 more for the 2 of us and we would lose a cruise day. RCI is maintaining their tough stance and treating Empress bookings like they were on a ship owned by one of their competitors.

Edited by coaster

I booked early and prices were much lower with the C&A discount. The difference to transfer to Brilliance on April 14th from our cancelled April 11th cruise would of been $440 more for the 2 of us and we would lose a cruise day. RCI is maintaining their tough stance and treating Empress bookings like they were on a ship owned by one of their competitors.

That helps to explain why there have been a few people with luck in transferring to another cruise. Those of us who thought we were fortunate to catch the huge C&A discounts that lasted just two days are now at a disadvantage, as there is a large difference in what we paid versus booking a different cruise that does not include the discount. Guess we weren't so lucky after all. It makes me think that perhaps RCI regrets those discounts and is trying to force those bookings to cancel.

Tell that to the person doing the background check for your top secret clearance.

That is one of the countries my husband cannot go to or risk losing his clearance and job..

Bingo. One of the many reasons a ship can't simply alter its itinerary to include Cuba. It's either a pre-scheduled Cuba cruise or it isn't.

That helps to explain why there have been a few people with luck in transferring to another cruise. Those of us who thought we were fortunate to catch the huge C&A discounts that lasted just two days are now at a disadvantage, as there is a large difference in what we paid versus booking a different cruise that does not include the discount. Guess we weren't so lucky after all. It makes me think that perhaps RCI regrets those discounts and is trying to force those bookings to cancel.

This is not true in my case. I was able to take advantage of the big C&A discounts when I booked my Empress April 11 cruise and when I transferred to the Cozumel overnight sailing of May 23 (after Empress-Gate hit) they honored every cent. I even received a $28.68 refund, which, I believe, are port fees for Costa Maya, which is not in the resked itinerary. Not only did I retain the extremely low C&A rate for my Owner's Suite, but they also transferred the $1000 OBC that had been applied from a previous sailing from Club Royale. By the time I get Royal's $100 OBC "compensation" and the TA's OBC, this [new] cruise will be almost entirely free.

So the early C&A discounts did not harm us or prevent us from rescheduling on a later Empress sailing at virtually the same price. It was pretty much a wash. The only cost that we did not recoup was $200 of the $400 change fees for airline ticket changes.

This is not true in my case. I was able to take advantage of the big C&A discounts when I booked my Empress April 11 cruise and when I transferred to the Cozumel overnight sailing of May 23 (after Empress-Gate hit) they honored every cent. I even received a $28.68 refund, which, I believe, are port fees for Costa Maya, which is not in the resked itinerary. Not only did I retain the extremely low C&A rate for my Owner's Suite, but they also transferred the $1000 OBC that had been applied from a previous sailing from Club Royale. By the time I get Royal's $100 OBC "compensation" and the TA's OBC, this [new] cruise will be almost entirely free.

So the early C&A discounts did not harm us or prevent us from rescheduling on a later Empress sailing at virtually the same price. It was pretty much a wash. The only cost that we did not recoup was $200 of the $400 change fees for airline ticket changes.

I believe they were referring to trying to book on ANY other ship besides Majesty which is a downgrade in nights and ship IMO. Not to mention majesty didn't have really any availability or room selection.

I moved my sailing to OASIS 7 nighter in a JS on 4/9. It was around the same price as both of my cancelled sailings combined. 4 and 5 nighter in a JS. I too got the great early rates.

How they managed to make them the same price, and this is only coming to light now, is they took ALL of the money on each of those sailings, including drink packages and dining, and put it towards OASIS.

SO now I need to purchase the package and dining again. Not so cheap nor as good of a deal as they made it seem when they switched me.

I got 200$ obc for having 2 sailings cancelled but that still is what... less than half of my drink package and NO specialty dining. Oi