Noro on Golden Princess

Fairfax is reporting that the Golden Princess is returning home early due to a noro outbreak.

http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/second-gastro-outbreak-hits-luxury-cruise-line-20160319-gnmh12.html

Like all media reports its a bit vague. According to Sea Scanner her itinerary has her on the way home as per schedule.

Tue 08/03/16

Melbourne / Australia

16:00

Wed 09/03/16

At Sea

Thu 10/03/16

At Sea

Fri 11/03/16

At Sea

Sat 12/03/16

Nouméa (New Caledonia) / South Seas

08:00

17:30

Sun 13/03/16

Mystery Island (Inyeug), Vanuatu / South Seas

07:00

17:00

Mon 14/03/16

Port Vila (Vanuatu) / South Seas

Tue 15/03/16

Port Vila (Vanuatu) / South Seas

Wed 16/03/16

Champagne Bay (Espiritu-Santo/Vanuatu) / South Seas

Thu 17/03/16

At Sea

Fri 18/03/16

Maré (New Caledonia) / South Seas

16:00

Sat 19/03/16

At Sea

Sun 20/03/16

At Sea

Mon 21/03/16

At Sea

Tue 22/03/16

Melbourne / Australia

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

Sometimes ships return early due to noro.

While we've never had this happen on a Princess cruise, some years ago on a HAL ship we returned a day early to Tampa due to a bad outbreak of noro.

Those who wanted to get off the ship a day early could. Other passengers were allowed to stay on the ship until the next morning if they wished.

Please keep us updated on what's going on with Golden.

LuLu

The media reports about noro on cruise ships would have a lot more credibility if they also reported noro outbreaks in rest homes, schools and other places that it regularly occurs.

I'm getting a bit tired of the "shock! horror!" headlines about noro on cruise ships, especially when some journalists try to blame it on the cruise line or think it's a type of food poisoning - not in this article but one of the Saturday Traveller journos wrote one a while back that was very short on facts.

Gastro breaks out on luxury cruise ship heading to New Zealand

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/78069898/gastro-breaks-out-on-luxury-cruise-ship-heading-to-new-zealand

Now its in the NZ media stating the ship is heading to NZ. Well it is, but thats the next cruise that leaves Melb. on the 22nd and arrives in Ak 26th.

I think all the editors must be away for the weekend and juniors are running the news:D

I checked AIS and the current position is parallel to Newcastle and well out to sea, so that a full days sailing to get to Melb, where she will be on Tues. as per schedule. Ports of Melbourne shipping movements have her arriving 5am

The media reports about noro on cruise ships would have a lot more credibility if they also reported noro outbreaks in rest homes, schools and other places that it regularly occurs.

I'm getting a bit tired of the "shock! horror!" headlines about noro on cruise ships, especially when some journalists try to blame it on the cruise line or think it's a type of food poisoning - not in this article but one of the Saturday Traveller journos wrote one a while back that was very short on facts.

Does make you wonder about motives.????

I also wonder if some land based Resorts are perhaps feeling the pinch as customers leave them and flock to the better valued cruise ships??????

Funny that, and how can newspapers report is as Norovirus. I'm sure cruise ships do not have any lab facilities on-board to enable medical staff to identify the genetic material (RNA) of the virus from body fluid samples, thus confirming a diagnosis. It's the V & D gastro and that's what they should report it as but that's a rather unpleasant label; Norovirus sounds much better AND attracts the readers attention.

Edited by happysnapper

So initial information would suggest another media beat up!

Let's hope all is well for those on board, and the next cruise goes out on time.

I've got Tuesday off work and have a great view of port where I live, it'll be nice to see her again. She's my favourite ship (being the only one I've ever been on! :D)

I suppose Princess can at least console themselves that they are now apparently a "luxury" cruise line

Second gastro outbreak hits luxury cruise line

The Fairfax journo's are currently on strike - so maybe the tea lady is writing the headlines (apologies to any tea ladies out there - do they still exist :confused:)

I suppose Princess can at least console themselves that they are now apparently a "luxury" cruise line

Second gastro outbreak hits luxury cruise line

The Fairfax journo's are currently on strike - so maybe the tea lady is writing the headlines (apologies to any tea ladies out there - do they still exist :confused:)

Yes, I was wondering the same thing.

IMO, most people will not take any notice of these reports as the cruisers will still cruise and the non-cruisers will still stay away from cruises. The cruise lines, may prefer good news stories rather than these type stories but then they would also be thinking that nearly any publicity is good.:D

Here, here!!

I think all the editors must be away for the weekend and juniors are running the news:D

Sort of!

There's a strike this weekend at Fairfax (where both of the above articles are from) due to Fairfax just announcing they are knocking off another 25% of its staff (equivalent).

Hard to a job as well with all the cutbacks they have.

Here's a link to the Melbourne Herald Sun (Newscorp) over the weekend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/gastro-outbreak-sweeps-through-luxury-cruise-ship-due-to-dock-in-melbourne/news-story/49219c9294f0133da683665a355b6817

And on Sunday nights Melbourne Channel 9 news they said that the ship had been 'turned around' because of the Noro outbreak and then finished the report by saying the ship would be back in Melbourne on Tuesday ..... which just so happens to be the day that it's due back. What a beat up!

They have 60 minute news bulletins now so they often have filler stories which can't be classified as 'news' ... this is clearly one of them. And as the old saying goes, never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

And later on Sunday night on a Melbourne Channel 7 news update they mentioned it again with families of passengers complaining they hadn't been kept up to date by Princess. Really? it's a bout of gastro, the ship's hasn't sunk!

Well I guess its not all bad, those that are put off by this might mean that cruise pricing remains more affordable for the rest of us.

And the report for this tonight showed the Diamond Princess. Slack journalism on a slow news day. Welcome to media in 21st century.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We saw this too, on SBS news. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story!

And the report for this tonight showed the Diamond Princess. Slack journalism on a slow news day. Welcome to media in 21st century.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I watched channel 9's "Inside Story" early March on the Costa Concordia. They repeatedly showed footage of the Pacific Sun in rough seas as though it were the Concordia, and which has been on YouTube since 2010 (Concordia went down in 2012).

It really annoyed me!

I agree, how many people contract flu or gastro from travelling on a plane, you never hear about that. Also sometimes the % of gastro cases on a ship is very similar to a similar percentage that is present in the community in general, you just don't hear about it and on a ship they have to introduce additional measures to prevent the spread.

The annoying thing about all this is that on any cruise I am always telling people to use the tongs provided in the buffet, not their hands; to use the hand sanitizer, not just walk past it . To wash their ahnds before leaving the toilet ! Many passengers are just in a daze. It is a wonder we do not have more outbreaks of noro virus.

Mind you the Cruise Lines could do a much better job of educating passengers of the needs for good personal and food hygiene, they hint at it but do not tackle it head on .

As for Media they are stories written by Cub reporters . Golden Princess has not turned round or cut short, she was always due back in Melbourne Tuesday 22/03/16 for a turnaround before her last round trip cruise to New Zealand for this season .

On all cruise lines especially Princess have always found the communications on board re outbreaks of Noro and progress reports first class . Also full marks to a hard working crew that then have to double their efforts cleaning wise till things are under control . GP will be clean and bright in Melbourne stem to stern to welcome new cruisers on Tuesday welcomed by an ever cheerful staff . To those off to the land of the Long White Cloud - ENJOY !!!

Edited by kuldalai