Noro on Golden Princess

.....he is feeling absolutely weak with a hacking cough. Looks like medical attention today.

Sounds like a good idea. I'm no doctor, but a hacking cough is not a symptom usually associated with Norovirus, more like some sort of flu or respiratory infection.

As bad as Noro is, once the body has acted to purge the virus from your gastro-intestinal system, as yucky as that is, normally good health returns in 2-3 days.

Good luck

Edited to say: oh I see Aussieflyer had posted a similar reply

Edited by mr walker

My question - which I can never get answered - is ---- on a ship with 3000 approx passengers, why is it that only 300 get Noro????

Whenever a "massive" Noro outbreak is reported on a cruiseship - it always only accounts for 10% approx of the passengers.

I believe that I know the answer to this question - but frequenters of this forum who have had Noro in the past hate to hear it!!!!

Some years ago we travelled on Island Princess and hand sanitisers were all around the ship at all times. We travelled on Golden Princess a few weeks ago and commented to dining staff that there were no hand sanitisers available after day one. Their comment was that once everyone had been on board more than a day there was no need for it unless there was an outbreak. The only times we saw the machines after day one was when we were reboarding after shore excursions. Maybe the recent Noro problems on Golden could have been minimised if hand sanitisation was more common and available. We are travelling on Princess a few more times this year and will be carrying hand sanitisers of our own!

Hand sanitiser has no effect on Norovirus.

Funny that, and how can newspapers report is as Norovirus. I'm sure cruise ships do not have any lab facilities on-board to enable medical staff to identify the genetic material (RNA) of the virus from body fluid samples, thus confirming a diagnosis. It's the V & D gastro and that's what they should report it as but that's a rather unpleasant label; Norovirus sounds much better AND attracts the readers attention.

they can and do do blood tests i know this from a person i met on the ship that had it done and the ultimate tour i did on Golden they send the results of tests to the U.S to get the possible answer to what ever the problem is and i know the cost of this is $200 as that is what the person i met paid on top of the other bills from that visit to the Doc

You are confirming what I said...they do not have the lab facilities the on-board to test for Norovirus. In addition it is usually diagnosed from a stool sample not a blood sample. The results would be confirmed by a Pathologist. Gastroenteritis is a self limiting disease of about 2-3 days and doctors would only consider pathology testing if the symptoms lasted for a longer than usual time.

Edited by happysnapper

Some years ago we travelled on Island Princess and hand sanitisers were all around the ship at all times. We travelled on Golden Princess a few weeks ago and commented to dining staff that there were no hand sanitisers available after day one. Their comment was that once everyone had been on board more than a day there was no need for it unless there was an outbreak. The only times we saw the machines after day one was when we were reboarding after shore excursions. Maybe the recent Noro problems on Golden could have been minimised if hand sanitisation was more common and available. We are travelling on Princess a few more times this year and will be carrying hand sanitisers of our own!

strange cause when i was on her nov/dec to NZ there was sanitizer where ever the food places were or when you went in for dining etc i always used it

Edited by Hawka

You are confirming what I said...they do not have the lab facilities the on-board to test for Norovirus. In addition it is usually diagnosed from a stool sample not a blood sample. The results would be confirmed by a Pathologist. Gastroenteritis is a self limiting disease of about 2-3 days and doctors would only consider pathology testing if the symptoms lasted for a longer than usual time.

i am tired my apologies , i just know they do blood tests etc and yeah they cant get the lab results etc so yeah confirming etc the person i met her feet had swelled up to football size so they were trying to find the cause , don't know about them testing the stool don't reckon they could do that and send results guessing they can only go on the symptoms of noro to determine if it is possibly that on a ship

Edited by Hawka

My question - which I can never get answered - is ---- on a ship with 3000 approx passengers, why is it that only 300 get Noro????

Whenever a "massive" Noro outbreak is reported on a cruiseship - it always only accounts for 10% approx of the passengers.

Simple. Because once any outbreak gets into significant numbers, the cruise line puts into force massive containment procedures to stop the spread, in addition to isolation of any carrier.

Regular cruisers know what this entails. It is wasteful and not sustainable, but it ensures that the spread is contained.

I believe that I know the answer to this question - but frequenters of this forum who have had Noro in the past hate to hear it!!!!

I don't know the answer Barry , but I would suspect that the number only represents those who have presented themselves to the Medical Centre and thus get entered into the records as a statistic.

Every time a ship enters port , the Medical Officer has to present Officials with a statement on the health of all those on board....and he can only record those he knows about.

I don't know the answer Barry , but I would suspect that the number only represents those who have presented themselves to the Medical Centre and thus get entered into the records as a statistic.

Every time a ship enters port , the Medical Officer has to present Officials with a statement on the health of all those on board....and he can only record those he knows about.

I suspect there is a bit of both. The clampdown by the cruise line to contain the spread as well as the under reporting.

Remember that you may be reported by the cabin steward, they know more than you think and would be well aware if someone was ill and confining themselves to the cabin all day.

We have just arrived in Melbourne on Golden Princess and yes NOROVIRUS has hit the ship. We have cruised 11 times before and this is the first time with Princess. My husband was confined to our mini suite for 2 days. We could not use our balcony for 8 days out of 14 because of sewerage stench. We could not even open our sliding door as it made us feel ill. Princess offered pitiful compensation which was rejected. Sick ship

The very design of the ship will be conducive to any smells becoming a problem for aft balconies. The stern has a very tall blunt design shape that will definitely cause air turbulence behind the ship. this turbulence tends to bring any gases that may be present from sources such as sewer vents, diesel etc. back into the air stream affecting rear balconies. The moral of the story here is, if you don't want these smells present don't get an aft balcony on this class of ship. Sure looks different, but totally impractical!!

Phil :)

Perhaps those with a compromised immune system would succumb more readily?

Perhaps those with a compromised immune system would succumb more readily?

I think Bazzaw is perhaps referring to the hygiene practices of those who contract noro. I don't agree with his conclusion, however. It is a highly contagious disease and even with strict hand washing etc it is still possible to become infected and does not necessarily indicate poor personal hygiene habits.

Edited by Aussieflyer

I think Bazzaw is perhaps referring to the hygiene practices of those who contract noro. I don't agree with his conclusion, however. It is a highly contagious disease and even with strict hand washing etc it is still possible to become infected and does not necessarily indicate poor personal hygiene habits.

Agreed

Agree as well. It doesn't matter how careful one is...if it's going to get you it will.:eek: and usually if your a reasonably healthy person you will just ride it out.

So now Princess 20 v. Carnival still 2??

See previous thread below re the 'unfortunate' differences in the number of norovirus cases on these two lines owned by the same 'parent' company (but run independently)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2320573

MMMMMM, interesting. Better reporting perhaps. I still know which line I prefer.

Edited by MicCanberra