Suitcases - locked or unlocked?

j3000

I secure mine with zip-ties. There's nothing of particular value in there, my electronic toys are in my carry on(s), along with my meds, and all the money I didn't spend on the cruise.🙄 Yeah, right!

Edited by Treven

I lock it just to keep the zippers from coming open. There is nothing in them that cannot be easily replaced. Meds and keys stay with me.

+1.

If someone really wants to get into a suitcase they will. The locks just stop it being opened by accident, like a zip pull getting caught in/on something.

I locked mine after i put all the heavy stuff back... (It was too heavy for airplane)! Unfortunately i also put the keys to the car in there... Forgetting i had attached the luggage keys to the car keys ... Not good! Had to have the steward cut the locks off... Which also showed me how safe the locks are... I Don't bother to lock it anymore... I don't carry anything valuable in there...

You might want to use combination locks next time. No key to worry about.

We lock our suitcases prior to checking them in at the port and also prior to putting them outside on the last evening of the cruise.

If someone really wants to get into them they can but we assume that they will go after those without locks.

Be sure to keep valuables and meds and important items in your carry on.

Keith

Another zip tie user here. Keeping the honest people honest. I have never had one taken off or broken in transit.

Sometimes I wish someone would steal my stuff on the way home so I don't have to unpack and wash everything.

Locked, so I can comfortably go to Passenger Services and file a claim, knowing I did everything within reason to keep my belongings intact. Locked, so I can comfortably file an insurance claim, knowing I did everything within reason to keep my belongings intact.

Personal preference.

It sure is. What's more valuable to you, your suitcase or the items inside of it?

Assuming you don't pack valuables like iPhone, tablets, jewelry, passports, medications, etc.

My jeans, underwear & T shirts, Polo's aren't all that valuable.

The most valuable thing is my suitcase. All the rest of the stuff can be replaced for next to nothing. :D:D

So what good is it going to do by locking it up.

Same here - clothes and toiletries can be replaced, and I never put cameras, Ipads, etc. in checked luggage.

It sure is. What's more valuable to you, your suitcase or the items inside of it?

Assuming you don't pack valuables like iPhone, tablets, jewelry, passports, medications, etc.

My jeans, underwear & T shirts, Polo's aren't all that valuable.

Both but both can be replaced if someone decided to take our belongings, destroy our luggage or just walk off with it. We lock our luggage because that's what we choose to do. Of course we carry all medications and valuables. No need to assume. If you elect not to lock your luggage doesn't make what you do right and what I do wrong. Personal preference!

Edited by davekathy

Both but both can be replaced if someone decided to take our belongings, destroy our luggage or just walk off with it. We lock our luggage because that's what we choose to do. Of course we carry all medications and valuables. No need to assume. If you elect not to lock your luggage doesn't make what you do right and what I do wrong. Personal preference!

I wish someone would steal my suitcase.....but no one whats it with a duck taped hole in the side. :D This way they can buy me one a new one with 4 wheels. ;)

What do you do with your checked suitcases when boarding the ship (not your carry-ons)? Locked or unlocked?

Unlocked. I have traveled the world with unlocked luggage. Of course, nothing of value in the luggage so no need for a lock.

Zip ties for me. If someone wants in they need not damage my zippered bag. It keep the zipper shut.

I was once called to the naughty room with Princess. They claimed I had a sword in my bag. I ask why they didn't just open it. Wait, wait, wait... They told me they had no way to open it. After a few "really's" from me they produced 12 inch long pair of tin snips. They worked.

There was a photographic tripod in the bag.

framer