Pictorial Review: Celebrity Constellation, 3/19/16

DarthGrady

Well folks, that's all I have for you. Hopefully this will be useful for others thinking about a cruise on Connie. She's a great ship with an excellent crew. I'll try to answer any questions that you all may have. Cheers!

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu%3B5%3A7%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D4249%3B%3B68%3A%3A326nu0mrj

Thanks for the beautiful pictures. They are truly reflective of what a grand grand vessel this is.

We sailed Constellation on 3/5/16 and a few cycles before yours. After 30 cruises on Celebrity's ships, this 5n cruise out of Fort Lauderdale may have been our favorite ...... of course, our last cruise with Celebrity is always our "favorite."

Interestingly, Constellation is the highest ranked ship in Celebrity's fleet by post cruise passenger comments sent out by Celebrity. That says something about the Captain, the crew and especially the managers aboard who make things happen.

On that five night cruise, we dined 3x in Specialty restaurants, once in Tuscan and twice in Ocean Liners. We are very sad to see these spectacular restaurants on M class ships being phased out. There's a link below with some beautiful photographs of all the different liner restaurants. Loved them and will miss them. Time moves on I guess, but I don't think I'm alone in disappointment seeing them disappear.

http://maritimematters.com/2015/10/celebrity-to-replace-ocean-liner-themed-restaurants/

Grady, thanks for sharing the beautiful Connie with us.

Great photographs!

Much appreciated.

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09

Thanks for the beautiful pictures. They are truly reflective of what a grand grand vessel this is.

We sailed Constellation on 3/5/16 and a few cycles before yours. After 30 cruises on Celebrity's ships, this 5n cruise out of Fort Lauderdale may have been our favorite ...... of course, our last cruise with Celebrity is always our "favorite."

Interestingly, Constellation is the highest ranked ship in Celebrity's fleet by post cruise passenger comments sent out by Celebrity. That says something about the Captain, the crew and especially the managers aboard who make things happen.

On that five night cruise, we dined 3x in Specialty restaurants, once in Tuscan and twice in Ocean Liners. We are very sad to see these spectacular restaurants on M class ships being phased out. There's a link below with some beautiful photographs of all the different liner restaurants. Loved them and will miss them. Time moves on I guess, but I don't think I'm alone in disappointment seeing them disappear.

http://maritimematters.com/2015/10/celebrity-to-replace-ocean-liner-themed-restaurants/

That is very sad to hear, that restaurant was really interesting. I'm assuming since that space will be Tuscan Grill, those two ships have something else up top (where Connie's Tuscan Grill is)?

Grady, thanks for sharing the beautiful Connie with us.

Great photographs!

Much appreciated.

Norris

Thank you for the review and the wonderful pictures. We did a cruise on the Connie in 2006. She looks like she is holding up well as she gets older.....:):):)

Bob

Thank you, I'm glad you both enjoyed it!

Darth ...... there may be hope for preservation of the "liner" specialty restaurants on Constellation and Millennium but, I'm not sure.

It is only Summit and Infinity that have a date certain for the change. In addition to the Tuscan Grill, which I do like for the most part, as replacement for the ocean liner themed restaurants, Celebrity is adding the outdoor grills on deck 11 of the M class ships that will feature a big screen TV and outdoor seating similar to that on the later two Solstice class ships, Silhouette and Reflection. Apparently this theme is quite popular on these two S class ships, so, I get it but it does not decrease my disappointment that the liner restaurants appear to being phased out on the M class ships.

I found many of the comments posted on the link I posted up thread to be quite interesting. Clearly, there are cruisers who love the nostalgia of the golden age of cruising and want some of the elegance of that era retained. It's the same group that is saddened by the subtle change from elegant formal dining to, well, guests who show up in the MDR or Murano with baseball caps and muscle T's.

I, myself, struggle with this. I had a 20 year career in the Marine Corps where "Dinning Out" is an annual tradition that has gone on for over 200 years. It is a once a year event. The Commanding Officer of your unit hosts it. It's a big deal. You wear your dress uniform and wives and girlfriends wear long gowns.

As a young USMC officer, you learn how a proper table is set, where your bread plate, your salad plate are located. Which fork, which knife and which wine glass is used first and how you cut your meat and use your fork. Maybe its sounds silly to some but there are traditions worth preserving and in my mind, elegant dining is one of them.

My wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed continuing the fine dining tradition on Celebrity because it was offered in several different settings. I have several times packed and proudly worn my USMC Evening Dress Uniform aboard Celebrity sailings. Even that is getting hard to do because it is heavy and there are weight restrictions!

But that is giving way to more casual dining themes. Sign of the times. I can live with it but I miss the elegance (maybe I'll try Cunard which is slower to let this go, I hear). As those of us who lived that elegance in the past and admired it, we have to give way to the more casual minded cruisers that are driving sales. My now 40 year old son is fond of telling me, "get with the program, Dad." He's probably right but he does know how to set a proper table and dine elegantly and I'm pretty sure he will pass that on to his children, three of my seven grandchildren.

Edited by jbuch02

Thank you Grady for posting this review and your wonderful photos.

It is still 6 months to our cruise on the Constellation and your review is just increasing our anticipation to crazy levels!

I hadn't realised that Ocean Liners was being phased out. Whilst more used to formal dining through my line of work than jbuch02, I share his regrets at the passing of these traditions. The restaurant looked beautiful in your photographs and as a link to the majestic liners of the past will surely be missed. One of the reasons I enjoy cruises is the escapism they provide and if this is a move to a style of restaurant/service that you would get on shore side, it is a pity.

Liked the fact you picked up on the shaped bar stools. I have a feeling I may be spending some time perched on them myself!:D

Gareth

Grady,

Thanks so much for the detailed pics and review! We sail her at the end of August.

Question, is the helipad sailaway for Elites and + on every cruise? We will be sailing out of Venice, and it would be great if we get this perk!!!:)

Ali

Darth ...... there may be hope for preservation of the "liner" specialty restaurants on Constellation and Millennium but, I'm not sure.

It is only Summit and Infinity that have a date certain for the change. In addition to the Tuscan Grill, which I do like for the most part, as replacement for the ocean liner themed restaurants, Celebrity is adding the outdoor grills on deck 11 of the M class ships that will feature a big screen TV and outdoor seating similar to that on the later two Solstice class ships, Silhouette and Reflection. Apparently this theme is quite popular on these two S class ships, so, I get it but it does not decrease my disappointment that the liner restaurants appear to being phased out on the M class ships.

I found many of the comments posted on the link I posted up thread to be quite interesting. Clearly, there are cruisers who love the nostalgia of the golden age of cruising and want some of the elegance of that era retained. It's the same group that is saddened by the subtle change from elegant formal dining to, well, guests who show up in the MDR or Murano with baseball caps and muscle T's.

I, myself, struggle with this. I had a 20 year career in the Marine Corps where "Dinning Out" is an annual tradition that has gone on for over 200 years. It is a once a year event. The Commanding Officer of your unit hosts it. It's a big deal. You wear your dress uniform and wives and girlfriends wear long gowns.

As a young USMC officer, you learn how a proper table is set, where your bread plate, your salad plate are located. Which fork, which knife and which wine glass is used first and how you cut your meat and use your fork. Maybe its sounds silly to some but there are traditions worth preserving and in my mind, elegant dining is one of them.

My wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed continuing the fine dining tradition on Celebrity because it was offered in several different settings. I have several times packed and proudly worn my USMC Evening Dress Uniform aboard Celebrity sailings. Even that is getting hard to do because it is heavy and there are weight restrictions!

But that is giving way to more casual dining themes. Sign of the times. I can live with it but I miss the elegance (maybe I'll try Cunard which is slower to let this go, I hear). As those of us who lived that elegance in the past and admired it, we have to give way to the more casual minded cruisers that are driving sales. My now 40 year old son is fond of telling me, "get with the program, Dad." He's probably right but he does know how to set a proper table and dine elegantly and I'm pretty sure he will pass that on to his children, three of my seven grandchildren.

Very interesting, thanks for posting that. I'm the same, in that I struggle with the formal versus casual dining. I do miss the old days of cruising when it was a shirt and tie (at the least) on formal nights. But I get that jeans are more comfortable and that's how things are going. Thanks again for the good info.

Grady,

Thanks so much for the detailed pics and review! We sail her at the end of August.

Question, is the helipad sailaway for Elites and + on every cruise? We will be sailing out of Venice, and it would be great if we get this perk!!!:)

Ali

Sorry, I'm not sure about that. This was my first time on a Celebrity ship that has one. They didn't do it in Key West though, so it might just be once per cruise.

Thanks for the review and beautiful photos Grady

Thanks for the review :)

No problem at all, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Loving your review.

Congratulations on a very thorough review as well as sharing photos too.

Keith

Thanks very much!

Thank you for the review. We were on the same cruise.

We will be back on Constellation at the end of July.

To answer the question about the Heli-pad, we did have a sail-away from Cozumel, for Elites and Elite- Plus on this cruise.

Graeme is one of the best Captain's clubs hosts we have encountered, could not of been nicer.

Mirage

Thank you so much DarthGrady for this review with pictures.

We are booked on Connie for March next year to the Far East and we were concerned that she may be in need of refurbishment.

Having seen these pictures I am really looking forward to sailing on her. We have been on Summit and Millennium so we should be familiar with this sister ship.

We have loved Eclipse and Equinox as well but the newer ships don't sail the Far east.

So pleased you enjoyed your cruise and thanks once again for posting.

Grady,

Ali

It's not usually a helipad sailaway on the first day, they do it further into the cruise (I'm presuming your embarkation port is Venice). We have an aft balcony and can't wait for that sailaway - sailing out from Venice is spectacular :).

Thanks, Grady, for the detailed review. Looking forward to cruising on Connie again. Is Tuscan Grill still on a higher deck, just as you leave the midship elevators and on the left (where Qsine is on Infinity)? Presume Ocean Liners will stay for a while as she's not due for a dry dock this year like the other M class ships (Millie's being next month :)).

Tuscan Grill is on deck 11 and as you describe it is accessed from the midship elevators. You can get to it from deck 10 by going to the port side entrance aft and going up the steps from there to deck 11. If your in Tuscan and have to use the restroom, you go down those same steps and there are the usual men's and ladies rooms on deck 10.

Tuscan Grill is on deck 11 and as you describe it is accessed from the midship elevators. You can get to it from deck 10 by going to the port side entrance aft and going up the steps from there to deck 11. If your in Tuscan and have to use the restroom, you go down those same steps and there are the usual men's and ladies rooms on deck 10.

Thanks :). From memory, I thought it was situated there on Connie. Perhaps see you in August ;)?

Edited by villauk

Thank you so much DarthGrady for this review with pictures.

We are booked on Connie for March next year to the Far East and we were concerned that she may be in need of refurbishment.

Having seen these pictures I am really looking forward to sailing on her. We have been on Summit and Millennium so we should be familiar with this sister ship.

We have loved Eclipse and Equinox as well but the newer ships don't sail the Far east.

So pleased you enjoyed your cruise and thanks once again for posting.

Thank you! I remember some of the crew saying that she was going to Asia next year, those sound like interesting itineraries.

Thank you for the review. We were on the same cruise.

We will be back on Constellation at the end of July.

To answer the question about the Heli-pad, we did have a sail-away from Cozumel, for Elites and Elite- Plus on this cruise.

Graeme is one of the best Captain's clubs hosts we have encountered, could not of been nicer.

Mirage

No problem! Sorry I missed the meet up at the Sunset Bar.

Edited by DarthGrady