New gratuities by May 1st, 2016

I am waiting on the Northeast Anthems dates being released week of April 4th. So if I pre-pay my gratuities I will be able to get the lower rate ?

As long as you pay by April 14 you are good.

I saw that post about the $15. I had to contain myself from commenting on it. ;) What I would like to ask you however...what does "high" post count have to do with raising the gratuities? :confused:

Have no idea wha you're referring to! I have never mentioned "high post count."

Have no idea wha you're referring to! I have never mentioned "high post count."

HAHAHAHA... Although I read your post correctly, I misunderstood it. This is what you wrote.

However, judging by the number of posts from people on these boards who choose to remove their tips, perhaps we are in actuality paying extra because of them.

I thought you meant "post count" :D:D:D SORRY.....;)

Let me get this straight. They have openly and clearly announced a price increase. It's not hidden, it's not deceptive, it's right there. And people are whining about it like spoiled children.

Here's a suggestion: Look for a cruise in which you are interested. Price it out. I don't care if they call it a gratuity, a service charge or just a cheapskate recovery fee. If the total cost is worth it to you, book it and enjoy your vacation. If it's not, shut up, stop crying like a child and move on.

Problem solved!;)

I think this auto adding of tips is dumb to be honest.

Look I'm not stingy what so ever, but I like to be in control of who I tip and how much, if you do an average job by me you'll get like 20%, but if you really hook me up your good for 25% no problem. Don't get me wrong though if I get lousy service you will probably get next to nothing and that will also come with a complaint to management as to why I left next to nothing (which rarely happens at all, but has)

Thing is though I personally like to tip the people who make my trip awesome directly.

Yah I'll let the gratuity ride and still leave my cabin steward extra on top of it, assuming he/she does me right.

Last raise was June/July 2015 (June 1st for prepaid gratuities, July 1st for onboard paid gratuities).

FAQs also give an answer to the question who participates:

* Dining & Culinary services 8.30 USD

* Stateroom Attendant 3.85 USD, Suite Attendant 6.85 USD

* other housekeeping staff 1.35 USD

steamboats

Not meaning to hijack the thread but if we are dining at specialty restaurants 3-5 times on a 7-night cruise, are we allowed to ask for those dining tips to be removed so that we can tip individually to the services used those days since the specialty restaurant fees include gratuity? Or at least request to redistribute the tips amongst other services?

Not meaning to hijack the thread but if we are dining at specialty restaurants 3-5 times on a 7-night cruise, are we allowed to ask for those dining tips to be removed so that we can tip individually to the services used those days since the specialty restaurant fees include gratuity? Or at least request to redistribute the tips amongst other services?

Don't bother. Let the gratuities be charged and everything will be distributed. As passengers, Royal has made it clear through their policies that we needn't worry about this.

Thank you for this recent gratuities update. I noticed that the RCCL website still shows $12.00 daily gratuities and 15% added to drink purchases.:confused: I rely more on fellow cruisecritics' information than I do on the RCCL website. :D

Auto gratuities are stealing from the passengers plain and simple. If others want to let the company steal money from them fine but don't tell me and others we must allow this. I do not believe alcohol belongs on cruise ships, just based upon safety issues. But I do not impose my believes about this on others, if you want to drink drink.

So please don't tell me how much or how I should be tipping employees of the cruise lines. Tipping is one American invention that is a failure. SO I always remove the auto gratuities from my on ship account and will continue to do so. Nothing anyone posts here will ever get my to change my values.

Post away about how I'm uncaring, should not cruise whatever..... all it does is confirm even more that I am right.

You can change or eliminate the auto-gratuities any time you want by visiting Guest Services.

Bob, I always pre pay my gratuities. Do you know if your stateroom attendant already knows that from the first day of the cruise?

I'm not sure if they know who has prepaid and who is getting automatic gratuities charged. I do know that they find out if someone removes automatic gratuities.

Let me get this straight. They have openly and clearly announced a price increase. It's not hidden, it's not deceptive, it's right there. And people are whining about it like spoiled children.

Here's a suggestion: Look for a cruise in which you are interested. Price it out. I don't care if they call it a gratuity, a service charge or just a cheapskate recovery fee. If the total cost is worth it to you, book it and enjoy your vacation. If it's not, shut up, stop crying like a child and move on.

Problem solved!;)

If it bothers them that bad, go to the service desk and remove all the gratuity from your account. Screw the staff and be selfish if that's how you feel.

Problem solved!;)

Then how come the first I heard of this was on CC this morning. I looks more like they tried to sneak it in to me.

Problem solved!;)

I have not gotten an email and I have a cruise booked far enough out that will see the increased gratuity. I have not gotten an email from RCCL announcing this new policy. The only way I found out about it is that I am active on Cruise Critic right now.

So, while it is posted it is not very well publicized. A courtesy email to RCCL Crown and Anchor Members and/or those who have a cruise reserved prior to announcing the new policy is appropriate. I don't have an issue paying gratuity or what I signed up for, but, I don't like things changing after the fact.

If it bothers them that bad, go to the service desk and remove all the gratuity from your account. Screw the staff and be selfish if that's how you feel.

Not being selfish, it is not the customers responsibility to pay the crew. It is 100% on Royal. As Royal says it is their suggestion not a requirement. If I suggest Royal should could rates by 90% does that mean they must do so? No I can suggest anything, and they will do as they want.

I will throw the money overboard be I pay recommend auto tips. As for the 18% surcharge on drinks that is another story....

Auto gratuities are stealing from the passengers plain and simple. If others want to let the company steal money from them fine but don't tell me and others we must allow this. I do not believe alcohol belongs on cruise ships, just based upon safety issues. But I do not impose my believes about this on others, if you want to drink drink.

The cruise line steals from the passengers and shouldn't serve alcohol on their ships... With such harsh feelings toward the cruise line, why do you cruise? :confused::confused::confused:

I'm not sure if they know who has prepaid and who is getting automatic gratuities charged. I do know that they find out if someone removes automatic gratuities.

I was hoping they did know as I believe most folks who do prepay are less likely to have their gratuities removed and therefor it should give them a little less to worry about.

I only say so because of the amount of chatter about people recently removing gratuities.

I guess the other side of the coin is some folks may feel pre paid gratuities will lure the attendants in to a sense of comfort with out having to give the usual Stellar service.

However, judging by the number of posts from people on these boards who choose to remove their tips, perhaps we are in actuality paying extra because of them.

Sorry, Granny but some of us resent being told what we have to tip folks. RCI needs to stop nickel and diming guests and just pay their folks a decent wage and fold it into the cruise price.

How do you figure that you are paying extra because some folks elect to not have their gratuities automatically charged to their account?