New gratuities by May 1st, 2016

They did. Just look at the prices of drinks!!!!! 18% of $12 is more than 18% of $10.

Actually, it went up more than that. It is more like the difference between 18% on $12 vs. 15% on $10.

I don't mind really. It makes it easier on me since I don't have to worry as much about tipping extra. It does bother me some not tipping each time since I will have a Premium Beverage Package. I just hope the waiters/bartenders understand that I don't tip extra or much extra because I barely break even so I feel they are getting the full 18% and not because I'm cheap. On prior cruises with the 15% rate on drinks I often gave a $1 extra.

As far as the auto-gratuity, it's only $7.70 total more for the 2 of us for our May 1st cruise and I need to use our OBC so I'm not going to pre-pay. It will make me feel less guilty if I don't give any extra. We're real easy - we keep a clean/straightened room and are not fussy at dinner.

What a lot of people don't realize is that Rccl has stopped paying them a base salary like the use to. Now the only money they make are the gratuities and tips. And when you brake it down by hours and work. Most of the people are working for about 5 bucks a hour. Me I would not do what they do 7 days a week for 7 months no days off for 5 bucks an hour.

You are correct. I had no idea. However, I also don't care.

I stayed at The Rennaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel a few weeks ago after an event.

At no point did I inquire as to how the housekeeping staff was paid. I do not know if they are employed by the hotel or if they are an outside company. I don't know if they get paid hourly or by how many rooms they clean.

There was a bartender working our event. It was an open bar with no tipping. I didn't ask if she was on an increased hourly rate, or if the organizers of the event were going to tip her out afterwards.

When I left the next morning, the bell man was very nice to help us with our bags. I have no idea how long his shift is or what kind of vacation benefits he receives.

Good grief! So many things I now need to care about! I may never leave the house again!!!

Not being selfish, it is not the customers responsibility to pay the crew. It is 100% on Royal. As Royal says it is their suggestion not a requirement. If I suggest Royal should could rates by 90% does that mean they must do so? No I can suggest anything, and they will do as they want.

I will throw the money overboard be I pay recommend auto tips. As for the 18% surcharge on drinks that is another story....

Sorry, I do feel like you're being selfish. Royal has decided that this is the way that they are pricing the cruise and having us pay their tipped staff separately. If they changed it to the way you suggest then your cruise price would go up and you would be out the same amount of money as with auto-tipping. Therefore you are basically hurting the staff - NOT ROYAL - by your own greed to not pay them their full "salary".

I'm sorry that Royal's marketing strategy - to be able to compare apples to apples on price with most other cruise lines and to be able to make it seem like the cruise is cheaper than it is - disturbs you but that certainly isn't the fault of the crew members who work hard.

Why do some people assume that if you take away the daily gratuity that they do not tip, some people like to give daily to staff. Each to their own ways. We do auto gratuity but do extra when WE feel the extra us above and beyond what is normal.

Edited by lulurobby

OK…nice to know. I'll stop tipping for each meal that I eat in Coastal Kitchen. On our most recent B2B we tipped about $300 in CK over the two weeks.

I tipped extra in CK because I LOVE THOSE PEOPLE SO DARN MUCH! truly.

What a lot of people don't realize is that Rccl has stopped paying them a base salary like the use to. Now the only money they make are the gratuities and tips. And when you brake it down by hours and work. Most of the people are working for about 5 bucks a hour. Me I would not do what they do 7 days a week for 7 months no days off for 5 bucks an hour.

LMaxwell proof? You should try getting to know the people. Talk to them. I have done sub contracts on the ships upgrading the sound equipment around the ship. So I hear what's going on from them. That's what happens when you eat and drink and sleep in the crew area. I also have become good to friends with a lot of them.

To say that "the only money they make are the gratuities and tips" is somewhat disingenuous. Since 2013, the Maritime Labor Convention of 2006 has been in force, giving a minimum monthly wage to all seafarers. So, the line is mandated to make pay up to this minimum, regardless of whether it comes from DSC, auto-gratuities, or the company's payroll.

Now, as to their hourly rate, that is a totally different discussion, and has nothing to do with whether or not they are paid a base wage, which they are.

As of 1 Jan, 2016, that minimum is $614/month. That doesn't sound like much, but that is also for a 40 hour week, hours in excess of 40 hours in any week are payable at not less than 1.25% of the base wage. So, while you are mostly correct in quoting the $5/hour figure, and this would be an average of base and overtime, I will disagree with you over the basic premise that they are not paid a "base wage".

You are correct. I had no idea. However, I also don't care.

I stayed at The Rennaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel a few weeks ago after an event.

At no point did I inquire as to how the housekeeping staff was paid. I do not know if they are employed by the hotel or if they are an outside company. I don't know if they get paid hourly or by how many rooms they clean.

There was a bartender working our event. It was an open bar with no tipping. I didn't ask if she was on an increased hourly rate, or if the organizers of the event were going to tip her out afterwards.

When I left the next morning, the bell man was very nice to help us with our bags. I have no idea how long his shift is or what kind of vacation benefits he receives.

Good grief! So many things I now need to care about! I may never leave the house again!!!

I tip because I'm happy with the service and want to, not because I'm worried how much the providers salary is.

To say that "the only money they make are the gratuities and tips" is somewhat disingenuous. Since 2013, the Maritime Labor Convention of 2006 has been in force, giving a minimum monthly wage to all seafarers. So, the line is mandated to make pay up to this minimum, regardless of whether it comes from DSC, auto-gratuities, or the company's payroll.

Now, as to their hourly rate, that is a totally different discussion, and has nothing to do with whether or not they are paid a base wage, which they are.

As of 1 Jan, 2016, that minimum is $614/month. That doesn't sound like much, but that is also for a 40 hour week, hours in excess of 40 hours in any week are payable at not less than 1.25% of the base wage. So, while you are mostly correct in quoting the $5/hour figure, and this would be an average of base and overtime, I will disagree with you over the basic premise that they are not paid a "base wage".

Thanks, always enjoy learning these facts from you.

Thank you!

Every time I see the "they aren't getting paid anything other than tips" thing spewed out, I can't help but roll my eyes a little. I cannot imagine ANYONE taking a job where they received no guaranteed compensation - especially when they know that there are people who will refuse to tip and people who almost more insultingly tip $15 per person for the whole cruise (trust me, I know wait staff in restaurants who would rather receive no tip than the 1 cent some people think they are being cute by leaving). The most absurd along this line was that the concierges are not paid anything other than tips when there is NO guidance given for tipping them (this one related to Disney specifically). Those working as concierges do have a level of education that makes it absolutely impossible to believe that they would take a job with no salary because "you get tips" when there is nothing telling people what to tip or even TO tip.

There is ONE, and ONLY ONE reason that I am unhappy that RC is raising tips by FIFTY FIVE CENTS PER DAY.

It brings out all of the "anti-tipping" fights.

:( :mad:

Seriously. The outrage over $0.55! Divided amongst the staff servicing you each day, they each get a whole nickel! I'm not understanding the argument that RCI is "stealing" their money by adding gratuities--that the poster then removes without any problem from RCI! Expat, surely you haven't been out of the US for so long that you forgot standard American tipping practices. At $13.50 per day, we're certainly paying far less than the American standard of 20% of the value of the food--especially also including the room cleaning in that total. If they did away with the service charge and instead upped the price of the cruise by $13.50 pp/pd to make up the difference, I have no doubt the arguments of RCI stealing from the poor customer would be ratcheted off the charts because then it really wouldn't be optional.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not being selfish, it is not the customers responsibility to pay the crew. It is 100% on Royal. As Royal says it is their suggestion not a requirement. If I suggest Royal should could rates by 90% does that mean they must do so? No I can suggest anything, and they will do as they want.

I will throw the money overboard be I pay recommend auto tips. As for the 18% surcharge on drinks that is another story....

If paying autotips bothers you so much, why not go on a cruise line where tipping isn't required, such as Regent or Azamara? That way you can abide by your principles and not punish the workers who have no control over their employer's policies.

According to the FAQs the suggested gratuities raise by May 1st by 0.55 USD:

12.95 -> 13.50 (regular cabins)

15.95 -> 16.50 (suites)

Deadline for paying the old gratuties in advance is April 14th.

steamboats

In Australia this links says.

Q: What is the adjusted automatic gratuity (tip) amount?

A: Effective on cruises departing on or after 1 July 2015, Royal Caribbean will automatically add a USD 12.95 gratuity, USD 15.95 for Suite guests, to each guest's SeaPass® account on a daily basis. This gratuity replaces our previously recommended gratuity guidelines, and will apply to all guests who did not pre-pay gratuities before 1 June 2015. The new daily gratuity amount is USD 0.95 more than the previously recommended daily gratuity amount (USD 1.70 more for suites).

We pre pay gratuities, we buy the drink plan (because alcohol should always be served on cruise ships), and we always tip the bartenders an additional $1 per drink.

It's such a small amount but it means so much to the service staff. And we always get our monies worth. The servers remember you - your drinks are better and you'll never wait to get a drink.

According to the FAQs the suggested gratuities raise by May 1st by 0.55 USD:

12.95 -> 13.50 (regular cabins)

15.95 -> 16.50 (suites)

Deadline for paying the old gratuties in advance is April 14th.

steamboats

Glad I prepaid my tips on all my cruises through Jan!!!

I am getting a bit tired of RCI telling me how much I'm going to tip. I always say I'm going to stop handing out extra on top of the auto tips but so far I keep right on doing it. Maybe I should start worrying about my own pockets just as RCI takes care of theirs.

Same here. We always tip extra at the end of the cruise. But now other than our stateroom attendant, will probably not do that. And I am a very generous tipper so it is not being cheap, it is just like enough is enough. How high are they going to raise the auto tips??? We always prepay our tips b/c it is just easier. Then we always tip extra at the end of the cruise. Plus even with the bev pkg we tip our bartenders and bar staff when then bring us drinks. But since we don't always have the same waitstaff in the DR since we do MTD we sometimes do/don't tip extra. We also always tip in the CL and DL. So we tip alot, but not going to tip extra in the DR if I don't have the same wait staff every night.

Edited by karena1

Yes, but tips were just raised by .95 cents less than a year ago. So that's an increase of $1.50 pp per day in 10 months time.

I guess that after my cruise I'll be eligible for food stamps.

On our last cruise someone asked this very question at the Captain's Corner and that's pretty much the way it was explained by the ships HR man. I've never heard staff say otherwise like some have here but I also wonder if some staff won't hesitate to do a little leg pulling when it comes to guests asking them how they're paid.

I am getting a bit tired of RCI telling me how much I'm going to tip. I always say I'm going to stop handing out extra on top of the auto tips but so far I keep right on doing it. Maybe I should start worrying about my own pockets just as RCI takes care of theirs.

You can always go to the desk the first day and opt out of all tipping charges. That way you tip what you want and as much as you want. You can then be assured the person you are tipping gets the whole amount.

There is ONE, and ONLY ONE reason that I am unhappy that RC is raising tips by FIFTY FIVE CENTS PER DAY.

It brings out all of the "anti-tipping" fights.

:( :mad:

How true......when I think of all the food service people around the ship that may serve me something for which I don't tip them, I could get upset. The staff at Cafe Promenade or Latte-tudes for my evening, afternoon or mid morning snack. The staff member that keeps the frozen yogurt machine filled, so that when I want it, it is there to have.

I just can't get overly upset by this....actually it won't affect my decision about cruising at all. Perhaps some who are angry should consider another vacation type.

In Australia this links says.

Q: What is the adjusted automatic gratuity (tip) amount?

A: Effective on cruises departing on or after 1 July 2015, Royal Caribbean will automatically add a USD 12.95 gratuity, USD 15.95 for Suite guests, to each guest's SeaPass® account on a daily basis. This gratuity replaces our previously recommended gratuity guidelines, and will apply to all guests who did not pre-pay gratuities before 1 June 2015. The new daily gratuity amount is USD 0.95 more than the previously recommended daily gratuity amount (USD 1.70 more for suites).

It appears they have not updated the FAQ page in Australia

How true......when I think of all the food service people around the ship that may serve me something for which I don't tip them, I could get upset. The staff at Cafe Promenade or Latte-tudes for my evening, afternoon or mid morning snack. The staff member that keeps the frozen yogurt machine filled, so that when I want it, it is there to have.

I just can't get overly upset by this....actually it won't affect my decision about cruising at all. Perhaps some who are angry should consider another vacation type.

Agreed

it's $.55 more per person per day. It's hardly an arm and a leg. :rolleyes:

Edited by CRUISEBOY305