For you, when is a deal - a deal?

That's what I am afraid of but we will see. I did look at the prices for next year when they came out and I agree, they were higher than I would book too. I am going with the theory, that I showed control on our upcoming Oasis cruise, so I can be a little bit crazy next year when I book our Alaska cruise.;):p I am even looking at Princess which is even higher, but everyone I talk to says Princess is the cruise line to book with for Alaska. I would be happy with Royal Caribbean but I have a year to research why my siblings keep saying Princess.

We seriously considered Princess also. We have 3 couples celebrating 30 years next year and one couple celebrating 40. We decided to stay with RCI for two reasons. The first is, two of the couples are C&A members and we are sharing our balcony discounts with the other two. And, we also have Royal Caribbean Visas with lots of points on them.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

We seriously considered Princess also. We have 3 couples celebrating 30 years next year and one couple celebrating 40. We decided to stay with RCI for two reasons. The first is, two of the couples are C&A members and we are sharing our balcony discounts with the other two. And, we also have Royal Caribbean Visas with lots of points on them.

Do what we're doing: Princess northbound, post-cruise cruisetour with them, a few days on our own... and RCI southbound!! Three-week Alaska sojourn.:)

for me- it is when i can pay $100/day for a superior oceanview balcony before taxes and port fees of course.

Ive always heard about those deals but Ive never found them no matter when I look on any ship. Of course I dont get any balcony discounts yet being only Gold.

In the OPs case, while it may be a great deal to some, I would not upgrade. I know, Im crazy, but thats just me. It s not worth 323.00 more to ME for a balcony. Id take it for free though ;)

Edited by ryano

Well I just got off the phone with RCCL, the upsell fairy wanted to give us one of the 4 Js they have left for $500 on our upcoming Liberty sailing, Todd wouldn't do it because we will not get double points. So we refused! Wahhhhhhh

And we'd be way up front where they all are near the front centrum instead of with the other 7 cabins traveling with us near our hump E1.

I assured him he could call anytime on the next one!

Edited by BecciBoo

Well I just got off the phone with RCCL, the upsell fairy wanted to give us one of the 4 Js they have left for $500 on our upcoming Liberty sailing, Todd wouldn't do it because we will not get double points. So we refused! Wahhhhhhh

And we'd be way up front where they all are near the front centrum instead of with the other 7 cabins traveling with us near our hump E1.

I think that was a good decision. $500 sounds like a lot to me. There are a lot of JS available on our upcoming OS cruise and I would decline at that price

We like to book a cruise during their 30% off sale. Our last Allure cruise was a good deal because we got a JS on the hump for the same price that we had paid for a previous Oasis cruise in a D4 ocean view balcony.

But we would have if not for the points. That would've been a JS for less than $2000 as we paid 1479 for the E1! We are only 3 cruises away from D+ we plan on doing suite for one of them.

I thought you did get double points for an upsell. I know I got them on two occasions of up sells.

I thought you did get double points for an upsell. I know I got them on two occasions of up sells.

This has changed recently. If the upsell is a reduced cost upsell offered by the cruise line, then no double points. If you pay for the upgrade with current prices, then you do get double points.

I got an upgrade from an interior to a balcony on Brilliance for $8.14 per day as a solo. That was a deal! A friend was online and saw it. When she told me I jumped on it. It was offered for a very short window and the cabins went VERY quickly. It was well worth a cold lunch, lol. I don't know if I will ever be that lucky again but I sure will enjoy it!

Edited by 9876

This has changed recently. If the upsell is a reduced cost upsell offered by the cruise line, then no double points. If you pay for the upgrade with current prices, then you do get double points.

Interesting to know Bob. They are changing the rules faster than anyone but you can keep up with!

I think it would be great if they employed you to update a FAQ section on their website with all this info! Just an idea :)

In saying that, some of the upsells can be great value. It has to add up personally for each person's individual situation and idea of value for money spent. :)

Interesting to know Bob. They are changing the rules faster than anyone but you can keep up with!

I think it would be great if they employed you to update a FAQ section on their website with all this info! Just an idea :)

In saying that, some of the upsells can be great value. It has to add up personally for each person's individual situation and idea of value for money spent. :)

Thanks for the kind words.:)

We went from ocean view to balcony GTY after final payment for $110 extra on a 7 day eastern Caribbean on FOS. No obstructions about 3/4 way forward.

That was an excellent deal!

Pardon the interruption, but the title of this thread just reminded me of a scene from a movie -

Crapgame: Then make a DEAL.

Big Joe: What kind of deal?

Crapgame: A DEAL, deal!

Hint, Crapgame was played by Don Rickles and Big Joe was played by Telly Savalas.

Hi Becci!

Smart move, not to accept offer. Last year when the up sell fairy was busy, several of my friends and roll call members received the phone call to upgrade to JS from Balcony for $200 and no extra points. I didn't get the phone call and was really mad, then figured out I had marked do no upgrade on my preferences..LOL. Well, I kept watching the prices and several weeks later, the JS's went way down for about a day. I jumped on it and upgraded from my D3 for $109 total and I got double points!! It was the deal of the century, the JS went down to $625/pp!! So keep watching, you never know.

Carla

But Carla, I have the same on my preferences as we didn't want to move, everyone else with us is hubbed up around the centrum. And they called me anyways...sure hoping they don't stop calling...cuz I'll change the preference after this cruise.

I think Todd would've accepted for $200 that is just too good for the extra space. and tub.

I'll keep watching but its only 24 days out and there were only 4 JS left yesterday, couple of GS too. I won't bet on it, but ya never know.

Edited by BecciBoo

But Carla, I have the same on my preferences as we didn't want to move, everyone else with us is hubbed up around the centrum. And they called me anyways...sure hoping they don't stop calling...cuz I'll change the preference after this cruise.

I think Todd would've accepted for $200 that is just too good for the extra space. and tub.

I'll keep watching but its only 24 days out and there were only 4 JS left yesterday, couple of GS too. I won't bet on it, but ya never know.

Last year instead of calling they sent out emails, C&A told me I didn't get one because I had Do Not Upgrade marked. Since then, I changed to upgrade and so far, I have been upgraded for free 3 times!! But let me warn you, they DO NOT call or send an email, they just upgrade you and you have no opportunity to decline. I found out about the upgrades by checking My Cruises on line and noticed the cabin change - but, who's complaining, I've gotten 2 GS's and 1 JS and one was on an 11 night cruise!!

Good luck, but I'm afraid the deals aren't out there like they use to be!!

Carla

• 1 month later...

Find out the payment schedule for the cruise. E.g. full payment due 90 days before sail date. On that date probability is that there will be cancellations and the cruise line will offer those at a big discount. Then or perhaps a week later. It is a gamble, cabin category you want may not have a cancellation or been quickly taken. Be prepared, act fast. But we typically save 30% of original posted price. And have always found an acceptable cabin (balcony).

regards tom

Hey CC'ers, I'm sure a many of you (like me) watch fares like a hawk. Do you book when you see a good deal, and leave it? Or do you book, low and upgrade as prices come down?

My wife and I booked our anniversary cruise, for this upcoming October on the Oasis, a few months back. We booked a really good price (in my eyes) on the smallest interior room with $100 OBC, $1712/total. Once or twice a week I'll jump on a certain fish website to see how things are looking. Today, I noticed they opened up the guarantee class rooms. It cost an extra $223/total to upgrade to an Ocean View Balcony Guarantee. Now, this does figure in the extra $100 C&A loyalty discount, but in my eyes - paying the added $223 for a random balcony room was worth every penny.

So who among you would have jumped on that? Worth Losing the $100 OBC? Worth the extra elbow room? What kind of deal does it take for you to book or upgrade your reservation?

Ok, I definitely look for a good deal, so in your case, I would have looked at the new price for an IS Guarantee (as well as consider the BL Guarantee). I suspect the IS-G price was probably significantly less than your original cabi price, and an even greater price savings over the new BL-G. Let's say, the IS-G is $1412 and the BL-G is $1953. Instead of looking at it as paying $231 more for a balcony over the original booking price, I would look at it as the new difference of paying $531 more for the BL-G over the IS-G. I am pretty sure I would downgrade and take the IS-G, and pocket my new savings of $300.

<$531 used for an awesome private shore excursion or two would provide me with a much greater cruise experience and memories over having a balcony cabin... I know, I know, most folks out there do not agree>

I'm a deal chaser. I have traveled all over the world by not having my heart set on a particular location or date. I generally know the places I would like to go so I constantly watch prices - right now I'm looking at cruises for next year based on what the prices are this year - and I know when they drop. Many of the same itineraries drop in price every year and then there are those that never do. But by doing this, I know when the price is right and then I jump.

My next cruise was only booked a few weeks ago - it was the lowest price I have seen on this itinerary, i got exactly the cabin I was looking for, ( apparently a cancellation), and all gratuities were included - a substantial perk for an 11 night cruise. What made me decide to do this right now is for some reason, I found a fantastic deal on air - $860 RT to Copenhagen with only one connection - pretty great for June!

It takes time to watch cruise fares, air fares, etc. in order to travel this way, but I consider this to be one of my hobbies.

So $323 more total (when you factor losing OBC) to go from interior to Oceanview Balcony for the week? I'd say that's well worth $46 per day. Especially on Oasis where views of the sea aren't always easy to find around the ship.

I booked an inside on Navigator for a transatlantic. Are views of the sea easy to find on her?

(Let me know if this is too off-topic.)