Luggage Buying Tips

Dunnik

Ahoy, I'm in the market for some new luggage for my upcoming Med cruise (and for future trips). Just wondering what people's thoughts are on the following points:

(checked and/or carry-on) Hardside or Softside or Hardcase?

(for carry-on) Backpack or Suitcase or Shoulder (Messenger) Bag?

On a related subject, what, if any, bag do you choose to go with for a shore excursion? Some cruisers I've spoken to will put a bag in bag - small backpack or messenger bag inside checked luggage for use solely as an excursion bag. But it seems more logical to combine your excursion bag with your carry-on.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Edited by Dunnik

I use a Heys hard side suitcase with a top opening, called smart luggage. Best purchase ever. Check out their sales. My carry-on is a cheap soft side spinner from a discount store. My excursion bag is my personal item on the flight, a cross body shoulder bag.

My husband uses a lightweight daypack as his excursion bag. His carry-on is filled with electronics and also wheeled. He doesn't bring a personal item on the plane and stores the day pack in the suitcase.

We also have a Rimowa hard case with 4 wheels. Its disadvantage is that it opens in the middle and folds out completely. It needs floor space to unpack. On the other hand it is very lightweight but sturdy and long enough for some odd items we have bought abroad.

Go for sturdy but lightweight, especially if they will also be flying.

We have Samsonite Lift spinners, they are soft side which is our preference.

I have some bags I got at REI that are little (about 2 1/2 inch) bags that fold out to a very light backpack that are so helpful. They have another one that folds out to a good size shopping bag.

I like hard ides with spinner wheels.

I take a leather ove shoulder bag for boarding, all the metal junk goes in, ONE item through the scanner.

My Princess backpack, when folded about he use of a pair of long socks is great plus when Mrs Gut is done shopping it gives us extra space to bring it all home:eek:.

A lot depends on where you travel.

If you are in the US, it really doesn't matter much if you are using 2 wheels or a 4 wheel spinner. If you travel internationally and there is any chance you might want to use a train or walk to your hotel, then get 2 wheels.

I have found that outside of the US, the sidewalks and walkways are often uneven, making using a spinner type of luggage difficult to handle.

I travel with a friend. I use a 2 wheel Eagle Creek bag. She uses a 4 wheel Samsonite spinner. She often has difficulty pulling or pushing her luggage around except when in the airport. In the airport she doesn't have a problem, but as soon as her suitcase gets out onto more uneven surfaces, she has a problem. Sometimes even when we take a taxi to our hotel and we have to get from the taxi to the hotel door, her luggage just doesn't move across the sidewalk easily.

My 2 wheel Eagle creek goes over all surfaces easily. Of course the wheels on it are sturdy, high quality.

If you decide to go with a spinner bag, look carefully at the size and quality of the wheels.

Regarding hard vs soft side. I have read many pros and cons about both. What I don't like about many of the hard side bags is that often the zipper is in the middle and you have to open the entire bag and lay both sides out flat which takes up extra room when trying to get anything in and out of the luggage.

Also, keep in mind that sometimes 4 wheel bags can decrease the usable packing space. Airlines measure from the ground up when measuring luggage. Some 4 wheel bags have a lot of space taken up from the ground to the bottom of the pack-able section of the bag due to the wheels.

Regarding carry - on bags, check with your airlines. Many of the European and non-us airline carriers have much more restrictive carry on policies compared with American, United and Delta. Last time I flew Lufthansa, they had a carry on weight limit of 17 pounds. Air New Zealand has a weight limit of 15 pounds. I found if the bag is small, they won't bother weighing it, but if its a larger size bag, its more likely to be weighed.

Edited by vmom

Look at Travel Pro - expensive but occasionally on sale. If you know an airline crew member, you might ask for s/he to purchase at discount. Guaranteed forever. Two of our carry-ons are about two decades old.

If you'll be flying a lot, avoid exposed spinner wheels - it's like they cry out to baggage handlers: "please snap me off."

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

For carry on I still prefer soft because I can get them with an outside pocket to easily slip inside my computer, magazines, etc which usually is not a feature of a hard side piece. Getting a carry on with roller wheels certainly has an advantage but the downside is that the wheels take up room and that limits the portion of the luggage that can actually be used for items in order to comply with the airline luggage size limitations.

For checked luggage we typically get either 20" or 29". 28" is our norm as you can fill it to 50 lbs which is typically the airline limit and 29" could be filled to a higher weight. We prefer ones with Suiters. The suiter allows us to place inside it items such as shirts, sports jackets, dresses etc that we place on individual wire hangers.

Keith

I like convertibles. I travel solo and use a variety of transportation when I take my trips. I have to be able to handle whatever I have by myself.

My current favorite is my Osprey Sojourn wheeled convertible. 2 good wheels, but a very good set of backpack straps when I need them. It measures at 25x14x13, so it gets checked on planes, but I use it everywhere else. Planes, trains, taxis, my own 2 feet - easy peasy. And, it's never packed full - I'll leave room for purchases. If I want to actually carry on the plane, I've got a choice between my old Eagle Creek Tarmac or my eBags Motherload (non-wheeled) in either the 19" or 22" that I have.

I abhor spinners. When I have to take guest luggage at the hotel, I hate it when they have spinners. Not easy at all to roll over carpet and I can't move as fast with them as I can with a 2-wheeler, especially if I have to take multiple pieces at the same time. My semi-professional opinion ;)

Dunnik --

We travel carry-on only. We bought small spinners (weighing 7-7.5 pounds empty) and I thought they were the greatest thing ever. After a few trips (while I still LOVED them in the airports!) -- we became aware of the weight limits that were being either enforced or threatened, esp. on international carriers. Switched to IT-Luggage 3.5lb 2-wheel carry-ons! Yes they are sturdy enough for unplanned gate-checking; have used for several vacations.

Now I love them even better! Bought my mom and sister each one for upcoming trip to and from Vancouver -- Air Canada has a low weight requirement although not as low as Lufhansa or NZ! Every pound the suitcase doesn't weigh is more you can pack, if not for the trip there than to bring home!

I pack a handbag (that just fits the bottom of my daypack-personal-item and has an open top, so it's like a bottom-liner) -- usually becomes my knitting bag on the ship, but it could go to shore or up-top on a bus tour. For SX I bring an infinitely-expandable ;) Thai monk's bag. I also travel with a neck wallet for passport and tickets/money, etc. and DH wears cargo pants almost exclusively.

Edited by crystalspin

I love my Heys hard-sided luggage. They make very good quality luggage.

I also love the fact that it has a cruise ship on it. For obvious reasons. [emoji4]

e3db3d05d9303860ff87bfd7c654fcbc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12

We have used both soft and hard side, and find benefits in both.

Whatever you decide, I would recommend checking your local thrift stores before you spend $100 or more. Almost all our luggage for our cruises and flights has come from Goodwill, at about $5 each. Most have held up for ten or more cruises, so far. Good value for us, and a few dollars to a good charity.

For a beach excursion, I carry a light tote bag for towels and stuff, and aqua boxes for ship card, ID and bit of cash. For a city excursion, just a small purse/pockets.

Regarding hard vs soft side. I have read many pros and cons about both. What I don't like about many of the hard side bags is that often the zipper is in the middle and you have to open the entire bag and lay both sides out flat which takes up extra room when trying to get anything in and out of the luggage.

This is a really a good point. It's a difference I hadn't noticed until I had switched over to a hard-sided luggage case. It's not critical, but definitely a quirk I wasn't used to!

On a related subject, what, if any, bag do you choose to go with for a shore excursion? Some cruisers I've spoken to will put a bag in bag - small backpack or messenger bag inside checked luggage for use solely as an excursion bag. But it seems more logical to combine your excursion bag with your carry-on.

I take a lightweight nylon day pack IN my carry on bag. I use it on excursions/time on shore. AND it is a bit of insurance about my checked bag being overweight. If (ohmigoodness I hope it never happens!) my checked bag is overweight, I can re-pack much of my carry on stuff into the day pack, and re pack some of my checked bag into my carry on bag, which I can then check. Cheaper to pay for a 2nd checked bag than to pay overweight charges :)

Another vote to abhor spinners as if they carried the Zombie Apocalypse Virus. On a hard, even surface spinners will roll with the greatest of ease. But for my uses - city sidewalk paving, curbs, carpeting - I'll stick with 2-wheel pull behinds. Much more durable too as they don't have exposed wheels that can get snapped off when a bag is thrown into a luggage cart.

As someone who has had to buy luggage "while on" vacation on numerous occasions I think we've finally got it right. We used borrowed Heys for a couple of trips before buying our own. If the 26" is stuffed, it'll be very close to 50lbs depending on how many pairs of shoes DW brought.:D

No airline has ever asked me to weigh my carry-on yet.

DW:

Travel purse/daypack from REI

(she attaches her wallet to the inside of the purse with a key ring to the zipper, chain, & carabiner)

26" Heys hardside expandable upright spinner

(packed soft side sport bag for carry-on for return trip)

Myself:

backpack for camera & electronics

26" Heys hardside expandable upright spinner

(packed soft side sport bag for carry-on for return trip)

My backpack is usually in my carry-on unless weight is an issue.

Edited by lamchops

Wow! Thanks to vmom for posting about the Lufthansa carryon limits. We are flying them in May and would gave had a rude awakening at the airport!

Lufthansa will weigh everything and give no wiggle room on weight.

Also many of the Euro airlines have a strict one bag (not one bag and personal item) carry on limit.

DD travels LAX-FCO a lot. She's been using IT bags, carryon and check thru. Her second check thru is a 1980's tweed Jordache 24" case with the 4 puny wheels.

It you can find a two-wheeled bag it'll have more room than the 'same size' four-wheel case.

****Measure the suitcase. ****floor to highest point.

Some 22" cases are really 24" because the manufacturer did not include the wheels. Lufthansa will measure your case.

Edited by SadieN

Touring bag

We prefer ones that can be worn cross body. Harder for someone to snatch it off your shoulder.

Be wary of thin bags. There can be sliced and emptied. Now of several instances of this in Rome.

Edited by SadieN

crystalspin.....I need to replace my carry on. Looking at the IT Luggage 2 wheel, 3.5 lb model that you mentioned. Have not seen in in a shop, just on line.

How do you think it would fare if it was checked? I don't plan to but one never knows. We do lots of independent travel in Europe and Asia..two good wheels re a must. How would you rate the wheels? Thanks

I use a Heys hard side suitcase with a top opening, called smart luggage. Best purchase ever. You don't need to open the two halves at all with this type of suitcase.

@iancal:

We have never had to check our IT bags in 5 domestic and 3 multi-leg international trips, but I would not be worried if we did have to gate-check (or "surrender" on board). The 3" mostly recessed wheels seem quite sturdy. I was going to say as sturdy as Eagle Creek, but then our Eagle Creek wheels went wonky and fell off!

So we've had them a little over a year, 1 cruise, 1 land based international tour, two trips to Oregon, and several car/hotel journeys from home. The zippers don't stick and I see no pulls/snags/unraveling in any seams. For under US$50, I do not believe you can go wrong!

Oh, yeah, note that the pull-handle does not lock, pretty much preventing the case from being pushed. Some people do not like that. The pull handle's channels are wide-spaced so you do not have to pack over them in the back of the cargo area; however some computer cases that are made to slide over a suitcase's handle are not going to work on this handle.

Same as you, I find no US retail street addresses. IT's own website proclaims "Trade only"! I know a CC'er in Australia was able to buy in person there. EBags seems to have the corner on the US/NA market, although they sell through Amazon as well as eBay, along with their own website. If you have Prime, and want nothing else from eBags -- Amazon will save you the shipping at the current price which is under the $50 threshhold for free shipping from eBags. That's for US addresses, at least; I think you are Canadian? Which I do not know about.

Note there are two light carry-on models; one has the small pocket above the large outside pocket; the other has better access to the large pocket through not having a small pocket! It may be a couple ounces lighter?

Oh, by the way, I like this bag so well I bought my mom AND my sister each one!

AFN -- time to make supper!

Thanks. We are in Bangkok and I spent some time looking for the brand. No luck. In Canada the two wheel 3.5lb one is on sale on line with dress shipping. Reg $275 for $80 CAD (that's about $58usd). Alas the grey are gone, only Aqua left but at least I will not confuse with some else's. HOme in a day and I may order it.

I think one of the most important things to look at first is does the actual size of the luggage match the manufactures measurements. Some luggage makers fudge on the actual size of their luggage and some don't include whee, outside pockets, or handles. If you have to have your luggage put in sizer the airline only care if it fits by their measurements.

After determine if the luggage is the proper size it a matter of preference for hard side, soft side, 4 wheels, 2 wheels, or no wheels.

Hard side luggage big advantage is it will keep its form and size while it is extremely easy to over bloat a soft sided bag. If you ever watch videos of people bags that fail the airline's sizer test many are due to being too fat. Adding things to those handy outside pockets on soft sided luggage can add to this problem.

I now have a spinner and I really like it. I find my bag works almost as well on 2 wheels as it does 4 so I have the best of both worlds.

Another good idea is to measure your luggage after you pack it to see if it conforms to the airlines specifications. I find laying it on the kitchen table a good place to measure all dimensions because it gives you a solid flat surface to measure from.

Here is a recent Consumer Report article on luggage measurements.

http://www.consumerreports.org/luggage/When-carry-on-luggage-isnt-carry-on-size/

Shak