In Sidney today 6 April

I wonder if Stewart is on board? You know the Stewart I mean - the one that looks after your cabin.:)

It really annoys me when cruisers say Stewart instead of Steward. Where did they go to school? It is common amongst the North Americans.

Edited by NSWP

It really annoys me when cruisers say Stewart instead of Steward. Where did they go to school? It is common amongst the North Americans.

I use it here on CC, basically ripping off all those who use it in speech.

Dinning instead of dining is the one that irritates me the most.

And the dining on Golden is very good so far. :)

We had a lovely cruise up to Brisbane. Hopefully the next sector will be as nice.

And some non Aussie cruisers on Princess, quoting the 'Horizontal Court.' (Horizon Court Buffet.)

And...Why do they call the 'main course' in the MDR the 'Entrée?' That got me confused on my first Princess cruise.

Now how much do I tip my 'Stewart?' LOL.

Edited by NSWP

And some non Aussie cruisers on Princess, quoting the 'Horizontal Court.' (Horizon Court Buffet.)

And...Why do they call the 'main course' in the MDR the 'Entrée?' That got me confused on my first Princess cruise.

Now how much do I tip my 'Stewart?' LOL.

Horizontal Court is probably a good description of it when the all day drinkers stagger in for something to blot up the alcohol.:D

Entree would have to be the biggest and longest enduring example of misuse of language. Obviously those that first used the term for a main course didn't understand that it comes from the French word for Enter. :eek::D

Horizontal Court is probably a good description of it when the all day drinkers stagger in for something to blot up the alcohol.:D

Entree would have to be the biggest and longest enduring example of misuse of language. Obviously those that first used the term for a main course didn't understand that it comes from the French word for Enter. :eek::D

A Yank explained to me once that entree was the main because back in he day the good tucker, ham, beef etc would be placed in pride of place when you entered the fancy eating room to show you could afford the good tucker, hence entry.

I asked that question once about "Stewarts" and basically was treated like idiot,so watch the steam come out of my ears when the Stewards are called Cabin Boys.

From my research the golden will be based out of Melbourne next summer, I think she's ours now.:)

Interesting comment. Encouraged me to do some searching and here's the most explanatory answer I found for anyone interested:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2738/why-do-americans-refer-to-the-main-course-of-a-meal-as-the-entree

Not so much that they got it wrong, but that menus have changed over time, and they've kept the traditional name.

I was about to say pretty much the same thing :-)

It's a remnant of formal dinners where there were often a large number of set courses, and the entree was usually after at least two or three appetisers, amuse bouches, etc.

So calling the first dish 'entree' makes sense due to the French meaning of the word. But calling the main dish an 'entree' also makes sense because it was often one of several main courses within a large formal dinner.