Last minute boarding

Our ship departs at 5:00 PM in Miami and our flight lands at 2:00 PM. (Norwegian Sky) We're cutting it far too close for comfort. All documents state that we should be on the ship 2 hours before departure. We won't have checked bags, just carry ons. If the plane arrives on time we should be fine but the slightest delay is, well, bad news.

Is 3:00 PM the latest they will let us on the ship? Is there flexibility or is this due to safety/regs?

Thanks.

Our ship departs at 5:00 PM in Miami and our flight lands at 2:00 PM. (Norwegian Sky) We're cutting it far too close for comfort. All documents state that we should be on the ship 2 hours before departure. We won't have checked bags, just carry ons. If the plane arrives on time we should be fine but the slightest delay is, well, bad news.

Is 3:00 PM the latest they will let us on the ship? Is there flexibility or is this due to safety/regs?

Thanks.

This would be far too late for my comfort. I get nervous when i have to fly in the morning of a cruise even if it gets in at 10 or 11 AM.

Do you have a non-stop flight? if not your just adding to the risk.

If i were you I would book an earlier flight or look at coming in a day early.

-Matt

Travel insurance and valid passports for all, odds of flying to next port to catch up with the ship is a distinct possibility - gambling with the odds.

Oops - wait, the Sky ... is that a 3 day or 4 day short cruise, flights don't go to GSC but missing Nassau, the shortened cruise would be a CTN if ship cannot tender to GSC.

Travel insurance and valid passports for all, odds of flying to next port to catch up with the ship is a distinct possibility - gambling with the odds.

Oops - wait, the Sky ... is that a 3 day or 4 day short cruise, flights don't go to GSC but missing Nassau, the shortened cruise would be a CTN if ship cannot tender to GSC.

And be careful about counting on travel insurance when/if cutting things "too tight".

I'm sure they have minimum requirements about reasonable time being scheduled.

Check the terms on any policy one has if counting on this for a last minute rescue to catch up, or get money back.

• 2 weeks later...
Note to readers, don't do it!! Our flight through Houston was cancelled as well as all Houston flights this morning. This will cost us $500 and a day of our cruise. We lost the gamble.

This is why we always get in the night before. Too many things can go wrong with air travel these days, weather, overbooked flights etc. $100 for a hotel is money well spent to avoid the stress of what OP is going through. Even adding in food for the night I doubt they saved more than the $500 they are now paying not to mention the stress of having to catch up with the ship.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Note to readers, don't do it!! Our flight through Houston was cancelled as well as all Houston flights this morning. This will cost us $500 and a day of our cruise. We lost the gamble.

Sorry to hear. This is why we always fly in the day before. Hope the rest of your vacation turns out better.

We do appreciate OP sharing the unfortunate news, massive weather system - just look at my live mobile "FlightBoard" on IAH arrivals & departures - not a pretty one, cancellations, delays & diversions. This was a connection with a layover from Utah to Houston & onward to Miami, for the Sky's 4 day cruise, tomorrow is Freeport & Wednesday @ Nassau - scramble for available seats, even standbys to get to the next port & extra night @ MIA.

Storms (spring, summer & fall) are often worst & nastier than winter blizzard in shutting down air traffic for the entire corridor ... not even sure if they can get to MIA later afternoon or evening as the weather system is moving east ... folks often don't want to acknowledge that planes are flying at 90% ++ capacity and often at full capacity, with standbys camped out at the boarding area. Airlines just don't have spare planes and full rested pilots & crews on standby to go on a moment's notice, yield management is basically, just-in-time flight operations.

Posts like this should go to a sticky for folks to see & reference when asked again ... far more "informative" than questions about lobsters on NCL - available & all, etc. etc.

Good luck to OP & his/her party in catching up with the ship tomorrow - and, traveling with their valid passports (we travel - fly/cruise with (NY's) EDL only as backup ID, in case something happened to the PP)

Edited by mking8288

We booked a flight for tomorrow morning to the Grand Bahamas. Norwegian notified the ship and updated our reservation to state we'll be joining tomorrow. It's a 4 day (Monday to Friday) cruise.

Our flight was supposed to leave Salt lake City Utah at 5:20 AM and arrive in Houston a little after 9 AM. After some delays our flight was cancelled and we couldn't get on a flight until after 10 AM. We instead flew through Dallas.

We're at a hotel here in Miami now. Crossing our fingers that our flight will arrive as expected and we can finally relax.

We booked a flight for tomorrow morning to the Grand Bahamas. Norwegian notified the ship and updated our reservation to state we'll be joining tomorrow. It's a 4 day (Monday to Friday) cruise.

Our flight was supposed to leave Salt lake City Utah at 5:20 AM and arrive in Houston a little after 9 AM. After some delays our flight was cancelled and we couldn't get on a flight until after 10 AM. We instead flew through Dallas.

Hope you have travel insurance. That flight cancellation due to weather should reimburse you. Good luck.

Hope you have travel insurance. That flight cancellation due to weather should reimburse you. Good luck.

Don't count on that. I was caught in Los Angeles during Superstorm Sandy in 2012, and could not fly home to NYC. All NYC airports were closed for 4 or 5 days. My travel insurance would not cover anything, because the airline (Jet Blue) was still flying everywhere else. The travel insurance says the airline has to be shut down completely before they will pay for weather related delays.

Reimburse for what? I have had many travel insurance policies. In OP's scenario, they perhaps would have paid up to a certain limit for the hotel and meals while waiting for the next flight. Appears the airline is not charging OP anything for flight changes.

I've never had a policy that would pay for missed cruise days.

Edited by 6rugrats