Embassy Suite

I recently stayed at the Embassy Suites in Ft. Lauderdale before our cruise and wanted to share with other cc members. We arrived at 6 am and the desk clerk locked our bags up in bell closet and gave us a receipt for our bags. We returned around 10 am and they were able to give us a room.

I wanted to leave some information for future pre-cruise guest. Many reviews advise guest to avoid rooms facing the street because of the noise. I compiled a list of rooms from the 6th floor that we stayed in to help future guest we then ask for a room.

Rooms facing south with a view of the port and shopping center are 621-631

Rooms facing west and the pool 632-636

Rooms facing east and the port 613-619

Rooms facing north and the street 602-615

I hope this helps,

Scott

Edited by firefightermediclasvegas

Thank you Scott. We always stay at the Embassy Suites and ask for an East facing room - we always have gotten it except for one occasion. It's also good to know that if available, they will allow early check-in. On our upcoming cruise from FLL, due to airline schedules we'll probably arrive several hours before their stated 4PM check-in time so we'll be sure to ask. Now if I can just figure out why their rates are nearly $100 per night higher the day we arrive than they are the days and weeks immediately prior. :confused:

Edited by joepeka

Now if I can just figure out why their rates are nearly $100 per night higher the day we arrive than they are the days and weeks immediately prior. :confused:

What date? There is probably something going on Fort Lauderdale then.

What date? There is probably something going on Fort Lauderdale then.

The week of Valentine's Day. At first I thought it might be a price hike just due to Valentine's Day but all the subsequent days are likewise at the higher price (while all the prior days are at the lower price). I did a quick web search to see if there were any events in FLL that week but couldn't find anything.

Edited by joepeka

The week of Valentine's Day. At first I thought it might be a price hike just due to Valentine's Day but all the subsequent days are likewise at the higher price (while all the prior days are at the lower price). I did a quick web search to see if there were any events in FLL that week but couldn't find anything.

At the end of that week you are entering a 3 day weekend (President's Day is the 20th) - and that is the busiest weekend in February (which is a busy time under any circumstances). In addition to the 3 day weekend, Presidents Day week is a public school vacation week in the north east and other states, plus Sunday, February 19 is the Fort Lauderdale marathon (not nearly as big as NYC, Washington, DC or Miami but it brings in 5000+ runners and additional guests). Given supply and demand, most hotels in Fort Lauderdale up their rates for that week.

At the end of that week you are entering a 3 day weekend (President's Day is the 20th) - and that is the busiest weekend in February (which is a busy time under any circumstances). In addition to the 3 day weekend, Presidents Day week is a public school vacation week in the north east and other states, plus Sunday, February 19 is the Fort Lauderdale marathon (not nearly as big as NYC, Washington, DC or Miami but it brings in 5000+ runners and additional guests). Given supply and demand, most hotels in Fort Lauderdale up their rates for that week.

All that kind of makes sense but those higher rates continue well into March (and beyond as far as I know, I didn't look past mid-March). I'll keep watching and worst case, we'll just go with the higher price because we do like the ES.

Edited by joepeka

All that kind of makes sense but those higher rates continue well into March (and beyond as far as I know, I didn't look past mid-March). I'll keep watching and worst case, we'll just go with the higher price because we do like the ES.

March is into peak season for FLL. There are many discussions here on the various reasons rates are high in the Spring.

March is into peak season for FLL. There are many discussions here on the various reasons rates are high in the Spring.

Many cruisers don't realize that during the winter Fort Lauderdale is a major vacation destination in and of itself so cruisers are competing for hotel space with longer term guests from all over the world. March is college and school spring break weeks and next year Easter is April 16 so the high prices will continue through the first 3 weeks of April.

If you can find a reservation without prepayment (or with a payment that allows you to cancel) that has a price you can live with, book it now and keep looking for a lower price. You might get lucky! If not at least you have a reservation at a price you deemed acceptable.

Many cruisers don't realize that during the winter Fort Lauderdale is a major vacation destination in and of itself so cruisers are competing for hotel space with longer term guests from all over the world. March is college and school spring break weeks and next year Easter is April 16 so the high prices will continue through the first 3 weeks of April.

If you can find a reservation without prepayment (or with a payment that allows you to cancel) that has a price you can live with, book it now and keep looking for a lower price. You might get lucky! If not at least you have a reservation at a price you deemed acceptable.

Done! ;)

We've cruised from FLL in April, May, June, October and November but never February so it did not occur to me that the hotels might take a price jump in mid-February in anticipation of Spring Break, etc.

Edited by joepeka