Book Direct, or Through Discount Providers?

fayew

I priced out a Celebrity cruise for 2017 with both an online discount provider and on Celebrity's website. Both included the drink package and prepaid gratuities for free, but Discount provider was about $100 cheaper AND included $200 in OBC that was not offered by Celebrity.

Is there any reason I shouldn't book with the discount provider? Any resellers I should stay away from?

We are not allowed to name or discuss travel agencies on Cruise Critic.

You could do a check on the discount provider on sites like Yelp and BBB.

That's why I didn't name it. Is it against the rules to ask if people always book direct or book with a different provider?

That's why I didn't name it. Is it against the rules to ask if people always book direct or book with a different provider?

But you asked who you should stay away from. We would have to give names, right?

No, it is not against the rules to ask people how they book. In fact it is discussed almost every day. If you can get a better deal through a TA, online or brick and mortar, it is commonly recommended you book with the TA.

But you asked who you should stay away from. We would have to give names, right?

No, it is not against the rules to ask people how they book. In fact it is discussed almost every day. If you can get a better deal through a TA, online or brick and mortar, it is commonly recommended you book with the TA.

And I would say, mentioning the actual differences in the options would be "discussing".

We go with the best deal. Read the TA's fine print. Some charge for cancellation. :)

Also be sure amenities offered by the TA are listed in your booking confirmation.

Edited by janetz

Make certain that you get one that:

Does not charge for cancellations or re-pricing (if the price decreases prior to final payment) or cabin changes in a better cabin becomes available.

Ensure that you pay only by credit card and that the charge is from the cruise company NOT from the agency. Pay the required deposit but do not pay the balance until the final payment date

Ask for on board credits. You should expect 8-12 percent of the commission able fare

After you are booked, log on to the cruise line site and ensure that your cabin category, cabin, pricing, and dining request is as you understand them to be.

Periodically, prior to final payment, keep checking for price decreases.

I book with one of two online discount TAs, they have better prices and more OBC. Never had any problems at all. They do charge some fees, but I know what I am getting into and it's still worth it to me.

That said, I would not recommend using them unless you are an experienced cruiser who knows what you want. The discount online TA's are not good at helping you figure out what line/ship/itinerary you want and aren't likely to hold your hand through a million first timer questions.

JoJo

I priced out a Celebrity cruise for 2017 with both an online discount provider and on Celebrity's website. Both included the drink package and prepaid gratuities for free, but Discount provider was about $100 cheaper AND included $200 in OBC that was not offered by Celebrity.

Is there any reason I shouldn't book with the discount provider? Any resellers I should stay away from?

Perfectly acceptable topic to discuss.

The real question that you are asking seems to be are there any reasons to avoid booking with a discount provider.

I can think of a number of reasons to avoid doing it:

1. How much if any control do you have over your reservation (it's really not yours it belongs to the agency)?
  2. What are their charges for making any type of change to your reservation, which could include price changes, adding or removing a passenger, a name change, deciding to prepay gratuities, booking excursions, and anything else you can think of that you might want to do before sailing?
  3. How easy are they to reach?
  4. How stable are they financially? Might they go out of business before your cruise?
  5. What other fees are involved?

I think that you get the idea. These are all things that you need to investigate, and then ask yourself is it worth $300 or even less to deal with the issues.

I would worry more about a bricks and mortar agency going belly up than I would an on line TA.

Very simple to protect yourself. Pay with a credit card, ensure that the cruise line processes the payment, get a cruise line booking number, and don't book travel insurance with the TA ( they will be more expensive and you will not be certain that the money was sent to the insurer and the coverage validated).

I've had my local brick and mortar TA go belly up and it was a mess. I was fully paid, but did not have my documents. This was before I began to do all my own documents printing myself. I had to track down the office secretary and after many phone calls, met her at a gas station to get my documents

I am now booked with a big box club's travel site and have had no problems.

The private TA I've been using is in poor health and might retire. Even though I like her, I probably will have to change for all future bookings.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by margeecruiser

We have booked directly with the cruise line as well as through a discount TA. We prefer direct bookings by far. I don't see any added value to TA's. We can call our contact with the cruise line and have an answer immediately. We probably miss out on some OBC but service is key to us.

Used local TAs for many years, transitioned to booking directly a few years back because then we are in total control of our booking. If we cancel no problem, no cx fees. If cruise and hotel rates go down, we request the lower rates, usually get them, we book generally 1 year in advance.

Same with air, book it ourself, get our own seats, look for the most direct route and avoid code share flights.