NCL One Way from Vancouver

mufc99

Im starting to learn a bit about these Alaskan cruises.

Below is the itinery of the NCL 7 day NB cruise.

Do you think we would be missing out on something?

Also with Seward, are there any problems with disembarking there? I suppose to get back home in Australia we would have to get to Anchorage!

Day Cruise Ports Arrive Depart

Mon Vancouver, British Columbia (EMBARK) --- 4:00 pm

Tue CRUISE INSIDE PASSAGE --- ---

Wed Ketchikan, Alaska 7:00 am 4:00 pm

Thu Juneau, Alaska 11:00 am 9:00 pm

Fri Skagway, Alaska 7:00 am 8:00 pm

Sat Cruise Glacier Bay --- ---

Sun Cruise Hubbard Glacier --- ---

Mon Seward, Alaska (DISEMBARK) 5:00 am ---

Also with Seward, are there any problems with disembarking there? I suppose to get back home in Australia we would have to get to Anchorage!

We are taking this cruise in several weeks (first time to Alaska), so we've checked out "how to get home" ;)

There is a direct train to Anchorage (3-4 hours) right from the cruise ship that morning, through NCL.

People can catch planes leaving after something like approximately 3pm.

We are staying a short time in Seward to take a small boat tour of some fjords.

We'll later take the evening train to Anchorage, in the Dome Car for a great view. (It stays light very late, so the views should be great, weather permitting.)

You might want to check flights out of Anchorage to see what the best airlines and connections would be for you.

We did this itinerary last year and thought it was great! You get to see Glacier Bay and your port times are pretty decent. If you have the time to spare, Seward is a great little town. There are a number of boat tours, kayaking trips, and even some stand up paddleboarding offered there, as well as the Alaska SeaLife Center, which is small but good for a quick visit. Exit Glacier is also accessible via a shuttle from Seward--you may remember it from President Obama's trip to Alaska last summer!

Otherwise, the cruise line offers an early morning train to Anchorage, or you can take the later one. I think there is also a company offering bus transportation, which could be nice if they make a tour of out it. We found the train to be scenic, but wished that we'd have been able to stop in a few places and look around.

We've done this a few times with RCI so assuming it will be the same with NCL....Cruise train transfer option leaves from right next to where you dock in Seward at 7:30am and arrives right to ANC airport terminal doors at 11:30am. A great 126 mile narrated train trip. More than likely (just like RCI) if flying home that same day you can't have a flight booked to leave before 2:30pm. I would avoid overpriced cruise bus transfer options if not using the train and would recommend.

http://www.alaskacruisetransfer.com

We've used this private company when we have had to book a flight home a bit earlier (1:30pm) and they've been a great option for us.

Thoughts....

• how many pre-cruise days are you planning in Vancouver? Many are surprised this embarkation port is bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined. Best to look at 2 or 3 pre-cruise days.
  • where are you staying in Vancouver? If cost is a concern, there's significant savings at hotels a few blocks away from the cruise terminal.
  • when is your sailing date? There may be a seasonal opportunities like fireworks.
  • also think about which month.... dry weather vs wildlife vs savings vs warm temperatures. July cost more for a reason.

Edited by xlxo

Thanks for the info!

We were thinking of doing Whistler 2 nights & Banff 4 nights pre-cruise.

Not even looked at accommodation yet!

The way its looking we mights just hand it over to a travel agent and see what they come up with! :-)

The cost is something we are certainly wary of.

By doing a return cruise, it wouldnt be a real big loss would it missing out on certain spots that a one way would see?

By doing a return cruise, it wouldnt be a real big loss would it missing out on certain spots that a one way would see?

Even on a one-way cruise you'll be missing something. 7 days just isn't enough to see all of Alaska. :)

If you don't have time for any land travel in Alaska IMHO a RT cruise is a great option .... you won't see Hubbard Glacier but there's not telling how close you would get to it anyway, but you will still have a day in Glacier Bay.

This is a nice itinerary. You will need to get to Anchorage to get home, but if you can arrange it you should spend another week after disembarking to enjoy AK. Spend a day in Seward, then take the train to Anchorage and on to Denali. Spend a couple fo day in Denali, and then you can either continue to Fairbanks or return to Anchorage to head back to Australia.

I would also arrive a few days early in Vancouver and enjoy that area.

We have done something similar to what you are suggesting and IMO it takes about 16 days to do it in a most enjoyable way.

Thanks for the info!

The way its looking we mights just hand it over to a travel agent and see what they come up with! :-)

Thoughts....

• return cruises turn back half way from Skagway saving you time and a flight from Anchorage for a one week escape.
  • One ways would take you further North. Some return immediately by flying due to limited vacation time. Others will spend a few days before returning. Others return south by boat.
  • what are your Whistler plans that needs 2 nights? Most go there for the gondola and it can be done with a day trip. Some may spend one night. As it's 2 hours from Vancouver.... you may want at least one night in Vancouver as it has much more tourist opportunities.
  • 4 nights in Banff? Is that a return 4 day trip from Vancouver? One option is to fly into Calgary and then travel by bus to Vancouver sightseeing along the way. http://keywesttravelandtours.com/bus-tours/

[YOUTUBE]_BCzKWh9Yt8[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]ZZulmMsTXNU[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]vIvtsz1b60Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]0JpSCQUe9_k[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

One of my sons has travelled a bit in Canada, and thats where I have gotten some advice from.

Because we will be travelling from Western Australia, the plan was for one night in LA - arrive in Vancouver and rent a car to Whistler for the 2 nights - drive back to Vancouver - Fly to Calgary, rent a car to Banff for 4 nights - drive back to Cal & fly to Van.

After the cruise, eventually one more night in LA to break the journey up.

Thanks zqvol for even more temptations - our costs look like they are also gonna go north! :-)

It will be a one off trip so we will try and do as much as possible.

We are mainly there just for the sights & not activities, but if anywhere offered twin seat quad bike I would go for that! Wife would be too dangerous riding one by herself! :-)

Thanks for the info!

We stayed at Pan Pacific Village Center in Whistler and absolutely LOVED it.

I loved when we stayed there for 2 nights and could easily spend a week here. So much to do (much more than gondola ride!). I actually would prefer to spend my time here compared to Vancouver. Lots of outdoor activities and beautiful scenery!

Edited by Coral

We stayed at Pan Pacific Village Center in Whistler and absolutely LOVED it.

I loved when we stayed there for 2 nights and could easily spend a week here. So much to do (much more than gondola ride!). I actually would prefer to spend my time here compared to Vancouver. Lots of outdoor activities and beautiful scenery!

My son said just do 2 nights in Whistler because its like a small version of Banff.

He also said don't stay overnight in Jasper - he reckons some of the locals are strange! :-)

The Rockies are stunning and spending time in both Banff and Whistler is a great idea! There is a reason that the National Parks in the Rockies have been named a UNESCO heritage site! (As for the "locals" in Jasper -- was he perhaps referring to the elk that sometimes wander through the town? :) ) While in Banff, get away from the townsite and see nature :)

Spending time in a city cannot be compared to the jaw-dropping, retina-splashing beauty that surrounds a person when visiting the Rockies. Every day in the mountains is like being in one's own personal postcard :)

My son said just do 2 nights in Whistler because its like a small version of Banff.

He also said don't stay overnight in Jasper - he reckons some of the locals are strange! :-)

Whistler, while known for their skiing, has more visitors during their summer months due to all the activities they have there. Definitely for the nature lover. We did several long hikes but I can definitely see it as a family destination with the golfing, biking, zip lining, bike park, white water rafting, water sports, etc... Dining was exceptional.

One of my sons has travelled a bit in Canada, and thats where I have gotten some advice from.

Because we will be travelling from Western Australia, the plan was for one night in LA - arrive in Vancouver and rent a car to Whistler for the 2 nights - drive back to Vancouver - Fly to Calgary, rent a car to Banff for 4 nights - drive back to Cal & fly to Van.

After the cruise, eventually one more night in LA to break the journey up.

Thanks zqvol for even more temptations - our costs look like they are also gonna go north! :-)

It will be a one off trip so we will try and do as much as possible.

We are mainly there just for the sights & not activities, but if anywhere offered twin seat quad bike I would go for that! Wife would be too dangerous riding one by herself! :-)

Rather than fly to LA, Vancouver, Calgary, and back to Vancouver - I'd start the Canadian portion in Calgary. Tour Banff, perhaps Jasper, then take the train or bus to Vancouver. Your train options are the overnight ViaRail from Jasper (http://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-destinations/trains/rockies-and-pacific) or the Rocky Mountaineer from Banff or Jasper (2 days with an overnight stop in Kamloops: http://www.rockymountaineer.com). When the cruise ends, I would STRONGLY urge you to stay in mainland Alaska for at least 4-5 days.

P.S. I think that cruise itinerary looks great! :D

Edited by NancyIL

Thanks for the extra suggestions.

Their Jasper experience was when they walked into a bar and the place went quiet and everybody started looking at them till they left! They haven't got 2 heads btw! :-)

With the NCL ship do they have plenty of shows on at night?

Are outside bars on the ship open at night or is it too chilly?

With the NCL ship do they have plenty of shows on at night?

Are outside bars on the ship open at night or is it too chilly?

there is one major show per night, plus a few music venues.

If you are talking about the Sun, the outside bars are very limited. I've sailed this ship several times, in Alaska, as well as just being off it Saturday- sailed for 4 weeks, with only the back bar outside on deck 11 open during some afternoons.