No Tokens and only One Day Passes to be Sold at Dockyard in 2016

njhorseman

I'm a little confused. Correct me if I am wrong. Tokens will still be for sale but just not at dockyard? Tokens still available for purchase in St. George and Hamilton? Is there anywhere to exchange paper money for quarters at Dockyard? Thanks!

Yes, it apparently means they will still be available, but just not at Dockyard...and the same will be true for two and three day transportation passes, as well as ticket books. (Ticket books haven't been available at Dockyard for a couple of years.)

I doubt you're going to be able to change bills for quarters either. You couldn't easily do it in the past so don't expect to now.

I'm confused as well. We were planning to get the two-day ferry pass. Can we buy 2 one-day passes at the same time (one for today, one for tomorrow)?

Sure, you can buy them at the same time. They don't get validated until you use them for the first time so you can buy two and put one aside for use the next day.

I am confused...Are tokens or ticket books going to be available in Hamilton?? Has that price gone up?? We are a party of 4 adults, and only plan to use the ferry prob 3X. We have a blue flag taxi reserved for the 1st day, taking us from the dockyard to St. George, with a stop in Hamilton to buy tickets or tokens, then we plan on taking the ferry back from St George. The next day, we planned going into Hamilton and walking around, then taxi to Elbow Beach, after beach, taxi back to Hamilton, then ferry back to Dockyard. 3rd day, shuttle to Horseshoe Bay round trip.

I really don't want to buy full day passes...seems like a waist of money to me!!

I've read the Royal Gazette article twice, and it's clear that the changes are designed to force cruisers to use taxi and van services rather than less expensive bus and ferries. I'm sure many cruisers would prefer to use taxi service because it is faster and more direct but haven't done so in the past because of it's high cost. So Bermuda's reasoning isn't to allow taxis to become more competitive with other transportation but to raise other options to an exorbitant level to make taxis a more attractive option.

There are so many things wrong with this scenario and most of them are going to be dumped on cruise passengers. I actually feel sorry for the people who work at the Dockyard Information Center who will have to explain to frustrated cruisers that they can no longer buy tokens or multi-day passes there. Judging from our roll call alone, many are repeaters who keep returning because of the ease of getting around the island and the good treatment they receive there. Now, all of a sudden, we've become a cash cow for the government. This change will not be received well. And most people won't know about it until they arrive.

The tone of the Royal Gazette article is quite tentative. It sounds like the officials who came up with this scheme figure they will just throw it out there and see if it floats. If many problems arise, they can make adjustments. It's just going to be a major headache for those of us who are sailing early in the season.

I don't have a problem spending money on vacation. I do have a problem being ripped off. If I want to spend the day at St. George and the ferry ride costs $4.50 each way, then I think that's what I should pay. No more. No less. If I have to buy a pass for $19, then I'm effectively paying an extra $10. For two of us, that's an extra $20. Same thing if we want to go into Hamilton. We're older and limit our touring to a few hours a day at one location, so the pass is meaningless to us. We're not going to be hopping busses all over the island. Sure, once we get to St. George, we can buy tokens at the terminal, and we will, but I find it annoying that we have to do this run-around when we should be able to get them at the Dockyard.

The officials need to rethink their options. Tourists are bringing big bucks to the island, and making it more difficult and expensive to get around does not seem like the smartest move to me.

Edited by Tricia724
correction

I am confused...Are tokens or ticket books going to be available in Hamilton?? Has that price gone up?? We are a party of 4 adults, and only plan to use the ferry prob 3X. We have a blue flag taxi reserved for the 1st day, taking us from the dockyard to St. George, with a stop in Hamilton to buy tickets or tokens, then we plan on taking the ferry back from St George. The next day, we planned going into Hamilton and walking around, then taxi to Elbow Beach, after beach, taxi back to Hamilton, then ferry back to Dockyard. 3rd day, shuttle to Horseshoe Bay round trip.

I really don't want to buy full day passes...seems like a waist of money to me!!

Tokens and tickets will be available in Hamilton.

There has been NO announcement of any fare increase to date.

SBtS

Tokens and tickets will be available in Hamilton.

There has been NO announcement of any fare increase to date.

SBtS

We will be in Bermuda in June.

Let me be specific. When we want to go to Hamilton via ferry from Kings Wharf, what will be our options?

So far, I am reading that we will need to purchase a $19 day pass?

Will we be able to get on the ferry and pay with coins ... USA 25 cent quarters?

Well said, Tricia. I agree - it's ridiculous. It's promoting more carbon monoxide by encouraging more taxi and shuttle van use and less public transport use. It just seems like a really greedy and not-thought-out move on their part.

I equate it to Car and Hotel rental in the US and how localities add on taxes and fees since most people renting cars or staying in hotels do not live in that municipality, pay taxes or vote.

Here at dockyard most people using public transportation do not live or pay taxes/vote so there here is where you get more money.

Let me be specific. When we want to go to Hamilton via ferry from Kings Wharf, what will be our options?

Will we be able to get on the ferry and pay with coins ... USA 25 cent quarters?

Here is my understanding of the changes. To go by ferry from the Dockyard to Hamilton, you could buy the 1 day pass for $19 P/P or you pay exact change (coins only, US coins are accepted) $5 P/P as you board the ferry. While in Hamilton, visit the VIC there and buy tokens or tickets to meet your transportation needs.

If my understanding is incorrect in any way, someone will post the correct answers.

SBtS

I am going to Bermuda May 1st on Summit.

this is a 1st, normally, you would want to promote " green" option.

I see there is an e-mail at the end of the powerpoint

marketing@wedco.bm

lets write them our comments.

I will do this today.

Sent the mail and here is the reply I got

" Thank you for your email.

While we appreciate your feedback, I’ve forwarded your email to a representative from the Ministry of Transportation to assist you with this matter".

Here is my understanding of the changes. To go by ferry from the Dockyard to Hamilton, you could buy the 1 day pass for $19 P/P or you pay exact change (coins only, US coins are accepted) $5 P/P as you board the ferry. While in Hamilton, visit the VIC there and buy tokens or tickets to meet your transportation needs.

If my understanding is incorrect in any way, someone will post the correct answers.

SBtS

Based on a somewhat cryptic statement in the presentation I cited in the first post of the thread, I would not be surprised if the summer ferry schedule eliminated the reference to fares being payable in cash. I'm not suggesting that is definitely going to happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if it does happen.

My reply:

BUT I failed to include the 3rd option which would be to take the route #7 or #8 bus into Hamilton, but of course it is a 60 minute ride. You pay exact change (coins only) $5 P/P as you board the bus. The choice of bus would be the route #8 because it does not go by the South Shore beaches. I've read the attachment of the 1st post again, and I'm not seeing any red flags.

You have read nhj's post (#39) in reply to my post on cash on ferries.

SBtS

Maybe this will promote token scalpers at the Dockyard. Some person trying to sell passengers tokens for $5.00 each and make 50 cents on each one. It could be a lucrative business unless you get caught by the authorities.

So this means in order to purchase multiple passes you need to travel out side of the Dockyard to Hamilton to get them?

In October we used the ferry one day and paid 5.00 in quarters each way. Another day, the special bus to the beach.

We never bought multiple passes the 3 times we have been to Bermuda.

This is just a slap in the face to cruise ship passengers.

Aside from my personal feelings on the matter, I have a couple of points of confusion, for which I apologize in advance if they already have been clarified. In the past the passes were combined bus and ferry passes. Is the new one day format still a combined use pass for both?

And I know this was asked, but is it certain that multiple one day passes can be purchased or is this some how limiting us to a single pass purchase for the entire stay? (Can't see how they could practically manage that).

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I agree this is def a jab at cruise passengers, specifically those of mass market lines! Cause the higher end lines with the smaller ships who dock in St. George/Hamilton aren't included in this.

It's almost like they took a page out of FDR's book :D (NCL joke with FDR saying he wanted to get $5/pp more a day out of every passenger on board).

Either way, I have to look at it logically. My first thought was that is fine, I will just bring quarters, get over to Hamilton and buy 2 day passes there. But then.. that cuts the savings down to only $4/pp on a 2 day pass. So as long as I am still allowed to buy multiple 1 day passes, I will eat that $16 for 3 of us for that convince. Then again, I am also the type of person who the other day, didn't want to waste my time and hassle for $4 to price match something at a Walmart store to their web site. :rolleyes:

Yes it sucks, but I also don't believe that 95% of people are like me and won't fight about it. I think it will become a bigger hassle to the Bermuda transportation department once the major players it's effecting think of a strategy with it. Take for example the NCL cruises to Bermuda. They are for 5 months straight (May - September) If passengers are that upset and don't book because of things like this, I can see them alternating with the BA's Bahama's itinerary. That is 12,000 tourists lost a month for Bermuda.

Personally travel at a port is included in my costs if I have to spend $80+ on cabs a day, guess where I am not spending money? Anywhere else unless I really really have to!

*goes out walking to get into better shape now, cause it seems I might be walking a heck of a lot more than I thought in Bermuda!*

<<Direct buses to Horseshoe Bay (the "Special") will only be run if it is determined that there is insufficient capacity being provided by private carriers (taxis, mini buses, shuttles). A maximum of 6 buses will be on standby.>>

You're all freaking out over the ferry, but hello, the Special is only going to be run if there is not enough private carriers. Even though, I always hated the public bus, I know many here on CC used it religiously.

Bermuda needs to remain solvent, and I for one love it because there is not much poverty. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but, good for them!

You're all freaking out over the ferry, but hello, the Special is only going to be run if there is not enough private carriers. Even though, I always hated the public bus, I know many here on CC used it religiously.

Bermuda needs to remain solvent, and I for one love it because there is not much poverty. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but, good for them!

You got to be kidding. It is not going to help Bermuda become solvent. Some taxi drivers and van owners are going to do better. Some public bus drivers are going to do worse. That's about it. And if cruise tourism goes down that's not going to help Bermuda. What has made the Dockyard palatable since most of the cruise ships have had to dock there instead of Hamilton and St. George has been the transportation options for getting out of the Dockyard to other parts of Bermuda. If the Dockyard is going to become a pita then they could and should lose people for that destination.

Edited by Charles4515

<<Direct buses to Horseshoe Bay (the "Special") will only be run if it is determined that there is insufficient capacity being provided by private carriers (taxis, mini buses, shuttles). A maximum of 6 buses will be on standby.>>

Nice point, except that the reasons stated were not to support the economy but to provide better access to the locals who rely on the transit system on a daily basis for work, etc., who find it difficult and congested to use during the cruise season due to the high volume of cruise ship passenger use. The stated goal is to limit the public transit use by ship passengers and encourage more taxi and minivan use for their transportation while sightseeing the island from the Dockyard, thus providing more transit access to the local residents.

Edited by leaveitallbehind