Waterproofing?

kerryincork

Try a shoe shop or camping store.

Our Scotchguard spray waterproofing is found in the shoe areas. DD has found waterproofing in Rome. (No idea at what type of store)

Doesn't it rain in Ireland? What do you wear at home?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you're cruise starts off with the first port being Ketchican there is a large store right near where you dock. At incredibly reasonable prices you can get anything you might have decided you should have packed including water repelent especially the kind for shoes. If they don't have what you are looking for I am sure they will point you to a near by business that does have it. If you leave from Seward and fly into Anchorage try asking at an information desk at the airport or the bus driver to Seward. It is probably easier to buy in Alaska as aerosols must be under a certain size even in checked baggage due to TSA rules. I took water resistant pants to pull on over my regular pants for our Alaska cruise in 2011 and never needed them but I understand that is rare. Now, Seattle was another matter all together! :)

Sporting goods store or Amazon (I think you can get Amazon UK delivery?) Hmm, none of these options are what I use - different countries and all :p You want to find something that says it's safe on fabric (if you're spraying clothing) and/or leather if you want to do shoes too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grangers-Extreme-Repel-Clothing-Protector/dp/B00TUERX1Q/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1461075929&sr=8-4&keywords=waterproof+spray

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Outdoor-Camping-Clothing-Fishing/dp/B0081HFEDM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1461075929&sr=8-5&keywords=waterproof+spray

And similar.....

(in the US, I use Atsko , Kiwi, or Scotchguard

Not for regular clothing (we have goretex we bring if we'll need it) but mainly shoes, also stuff for my husband's hunting clothing.

I've been to Alaska twice. My experience may not be typical but it didn't rain once. We were there in early june and late july for two weeks . It did slightly drizzle for about an hour one day. I wouldn't bother.

Has anyone actually used either the waterproof or water-resistant spray?

If so, does it work?

Not a spray meant for waterproofing but yes. I spent a year of my Army time at the Language Institute in Montery, CA. Our Captain led a couple of 3 day weekend novice ski trips a year to the mountains. He suggested either renting ski pants and gloves or spraying a pair of boot cut Levi's with Scotchguard and rent the gloves or if we were from cold areas bring our own. The bunny slopes were fairly sunny and warm except for all the falling down hence the need for pants and gloves. The Scotchguard worked very well. He described how to do it in a pre-trip briefing. Hang the pants up by the waist and spray the front slowing going from top to bottom and side to side. Never stop or you over spray. Give them 15 minutes and then do the back side. Dry overnight and repeat. Seems 2 light coats worked better than 1 heavy one. It worked. Took about 3 good hot washings to get them back to normal but for those who had no idea if they would like skiing it beat buying special clothes on our pay. Everything else we could rent at the rec center.

Three visits to Alaska in early June with only slight drizzles twice. Unless your going fishing in a river you really won't need waterproofing of anything.

Well, every day/week/month in Alaska can be very different. We have been twice and the first time it rained so hard in Ketchikan I thought we were going to float away. I mean, really - pounding rain. We had waterproof coats but just jeans on the bottom. Needless to say, we were absolutely soaked.

Glad you didn't have torrential rain but it certainly can happen. Alaska has coastal temperate rain forests.

Has anyone actually used either the waterproof or water-resistant spray? If so, does it work?

(in the US, I use Atsko , Kiwi, or Scotchguard Not for regular clothing (we have goretex we bring if we'll need it) but mainly shoes, also stuff for my husband's hunting clothing.
Yes

Remember, when you waterproof, you stop moisture from getting in. But you also stop air from getting out. We don't waterproof, water resistance is usually enough. May sound like a silly distinction but...

And that's why we own a lot of goretex. Waterproof and breathable. Expensive but worth it if you're in wet conditions on a regular basis (and not always expensive - I have LLBean goretex pants I got for $10 at their old outlet:p)