Is Acapulco safe?

kntdds

Just read the below notice posted on Fox News Latino, that the US Gov has forbidden its' employees from visiting Acapulco.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2016/04/16/us-government-employees-barred-from-travel-to-acapulco/

Since Regent makes stops here on their Panama Canal cruises does anyone have any thoughts?

We have done two stops . The first one we felt safe. The second one wasn't good stop at all .

Well, if you would like the possibility of finding severed heads alongside a road, then you would find this a lovely cruise stop. Seriously, I can't understand why Regent keeps Acapulco as a stop, its not safe there! I've been to Acapulco many, many times. The first time as a teenager, the last time on my honeymoon. Now? Wouldnt set foot there. A shame, as it has a gorgeous bay and the "clavadistas" (cliff divers).

If you do a web search on "Acapulco crime" you find that the city is the #1 most dangerous city in Mexico and #2 in the world! Violent crimes are extending all the way down to the beach. I, too, find it hard to believe that Regency would continue to use this as a scheduled port after the US Gov has forbidden its' employees from visiting.

Well the Mariner is today leaving Miami for SF with a stop still scheduled in Acapulco! Regent cancels Turkey ports and keeps Acapulco ??

Turkey suffers from a high terrorism risk, where tourists have been specifically targeted. US and UK government advice is to only visit if necessary

In Acapulco the danger is from organised crime. The advice for tourists is to keep a 'low profile'

Turkey suffers from a high terrorism risk, where tourists have been specifically targeted. US and UK government advice is to only visit if necessary

In Acapulco the danger is from organised crime. The advice for tourists is to keep a 'low profile'

My profile would be so low I wouldn't even be there.

I've traveled to places that have been deemed 'unsafe' by the government or travel sites and never had a problem...but there's no way I'd tempt fate like that. The cartels are causing too much collateral damage for my tastes.

Me? Pass.

We are signed up the hotel pool and Beach excursion in Acapulco. I would think riding the bus and laying by the pool would be safe. I am sure the hotel beach will have armed guards.

Any comments??

We are signed up the hotel pool and Beach excursion in Acapulco. I would think riding the bus and laying by the pool would be safe. I am sure the hotel beach will have armed guards.

Any comments??

Greetings, MomC, from mostly safe South Beach. Acapulco's drug criminals want to terrify and subjugate the population into keeping their mouths shut. Piling severed heads in public squares does send that message. DH and I visited Acapulco several times before it sank to its current level of depravity.

As for tourists, if they run into the wrong people, the wrong thing might happen. The bay there is beautiful, no doubt. However, under the circumstances, I'd skip it.

Mary

My wife and I had spent a week at Las Brisas 44 years ago. It was the best! We made reservations for lunch at the beach club during our recent Regent cruise. When we got on the Las Brisas property there were guards at every corner with machine guns. Things have changed. We had a great lunch, but arriving and leaving the property was ....

I think Regent is playing with fire by keeping this as a port of call. If anything were to happen to a passenger , Regent wouldn't be able to hide behind the defense that it was a "random" act. This has been documented for a very long time. Plenty of other attractive ports on the West side of Mexico.

They have cancelled our call to Acapulco Captain informed us last evening and said it was deemed unsafe.

Sorry that you are losing a port, but that is better than someone getting hurt or killed. Glad to see that Regent is aware of the issues and has been proactive.Feel much better about cruising with them.

Last was in Acapulco in 2003 and it is a beautiful place. Seeing the cliff divers after watching them on Wide World of Sports for so many years was awesome. The harbor is so unique. That said, I read the papers and I am concerned as well. In our upcoming Sept Canal we have signed up for the Beach Day at the Hotel deeming it as the safest option. We have been to that hotel and the grounds and facilities are great. However, you do have to ride over and back and the sight of serious guards is just as unsettling as it is reassuring. I will not be surprised if Regent cancels the stop, and if they do maybe they can add Huatulco which used to be a nice quite place just south of Acapulco and hopefully still is. It would be a good beach day. It is interesting that this cruise also features Cartagena which for years was a no go place and now a lot of lines are stopping there. Opinions on port stops are always changing. We all have seen Jamaica come and go from the safe list, and now Istanbul is under a lot of scrutiny. I guess Regent and passengers will just have to make their best call in September, I know I will.

I would be really annoyed that, knowing all this, Regent keeps including Acapulco as a port, maybe just to cancel it while en route because its deemed "unsafe". So, passengers get one less port, but zero compensation. I'm looking into a trans-canal cruise but will not book with Regent if they keep Acapulco as a port. High time they substitute Huatulco or some other alternative.

I am on the Mariner now, and while they cancelled the stop in Acapulco, they arranged a stop, on short notice, to zihuatanejo/Ixtapa. We had a wonderful day.

Edited by Eliza3