If Cuba = Success, do you think Carnival would buy back Holiday-class? Would you go?

LMaxwell

If Cuba turns out to be a successful venture for Carnival via Fathom, and subsequently for RCI with Empress of the Seas (a smaller ship being brought back into the fleet), do you think there is any possibility that Carnival would buy back a Holiday-class ship for use going to Cuba? I am not sure if a Fantasy-class ship would fit into Cuba ports but pretty sure Holiday-class would.

Seems Holiday-class has its fair share of fans, and the heavy lifting has already been done to modernize the public spaces of the ship.

Would you sail on Carnival to Cuba, and would you do so on a Holiday-class ship if available?

Check out the ship here

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/Cruise-Ship%2C-1%2C452-Passengers-Stock-No.-S2168-2739071/Italy#.VxpGiVSZE_x

I don't think that ad is current or relevant. Grand Celebration is in West Palm Beach. Holiday is sailing for Cruise & Maritims as Magellan; I understand Jubilee, who is/was sailing in Asia as Henna, possibly a gambling ship...is for sail.

Would I sail on a Holiday class ship? Yes. I sailed Celebration twice. to Cuba? Not interested. EM

I don't think that ad is current or relevant. Grand Celebration is in West Palm Beach. Holiday is sailing for Cruise & Maritims as Magellan; I understand Jubilee, who is/was sailing in Asia as Henna, possibly a gambling ship...is for sail.

Would I sail on a Holiday class ship? Yes. I sailed Celebration twice. to Cuba? Not interested. EM

Both Holiday and Jubilee are for sale if anyone wants to pay the price.

Grand Celebration is looking pretty spiffy these days sailing for Bahamas Celebration. So I think these are viable ships for 1500-2K guests and smaller ports.

Those yacht broker adds are always out there. They really mean nothing. The Norwegian Sky was listed on an off for a decade.

MSC plans to operate the Opera out of Havana, and it is very close in size to the Fantasy class.

Those yacht broker adds are always out there. They really mean nothing. The Norwegian Sky was listed on an off for a decade.

MSC plans to operate the Opera out of Havana, and it is very close in size to the Fantasy class.

Cheng what are the major factors / limitations on ship size that will fit in Havana harbor or use the port facilities? Is it draft below waterline only or??

Cheng what are the major factors / limitations on ship size that will fit in Havana harbor or use the port facilities? Is it draft below waterline only or??

From what I've heard, the passenger "facilities" are pretty limited, but MSC is putting some bucks into them. I believe the designated docks could accommodate one ship the size of Opera and one small ship like Adonia or Celestyal Crystal.

Draft is a major concern, as I don't believe the Cuban government has spent much on dredging over the last few decades. Plus the fact that most of Havana's raw sewage flows into the harbor and you've got a place that calls out for dredging. The docks are actually deeper than parts of the harbor channel, and I think Opera will be close to the bottom, and may have to limit arrivals/departures to high tide times.

visit Cuba! I've long wanted to see Cuba. I even kept my passport current from my birth country (when Americans were not permitted to visit Cuba) in hopes I would get there somehow.

Unfortunately, the expensive fares I've seen so far make me wonder where the extra cost is going (to the Cuban governemnt?....not to the people who might be vendors, taxi drivers or tour guides).

I'd love to sail to Cuba for a visit. Hopefully before it's overrun with McDonaldses and Wal-Marts.

I would want the people of Cuba to be making most of the money off trips to Cuba though. I have no idea how to make that happen but if it's possible, I hear Cuba is a beautiful island.

Heck, I'd go just for the 50's car show.

Isn't the MSC Opera already performing these cruises? I saw it in Cozumel a few weeks ago and supposedly it was on a 7 day rotation from Havana that also included Montego Bay.

For those of you not sailing to Cuba because you dont want to spend money on or support a communist country, I hate to break it to you but most of us already spend our money on products produced in communists countries.

For those of you not sailing to Cuba because you dont want to spend money on or support a communist country, I hate to break it to you but most of us already spend our money on products produced in communists countries.

Exactly :) How much China crap we buy? :eek: Thats not my reasoning. I just have no desire to visit Cuba

For those of you not sailing to Cuba because you dont want to spend money on or support a communist country.

I love those who live in glass houses:

The U.S. debt to China is $1.238 trillion, as of January 2016.

So, not only purchasing a ton of cheap plastic crap at Wal-Mart made in China, but owe over $1.2 trillion dollars to China, which is, yep you guessed it a communist country!

I'd much rather visit Cuba (which I have done twice and would go back) that visit China (which I visited once) and have no desire to go back to that country where it is so hard to breath!

As usual Tapi, hitting the nail right on the head. To avoid contributing financially to a communist regime would be really tough. And why stop at just communist regimes? What about other countries we visit and contribute to that have corrupt governments that persecute their own citizens? Contrary to what 1950's high school text books taught us, communism has hardly cornered the market here. Jamaica, China, Russia, Haiti are just a few that come to mind that are regular stops on cruise ship itineraries.

Personally I would love to go to Cuba and learn more about the people and not just what the media and grandpa's "durn commies" opinions would have me believe.

Isn't the MSC Opera already performing these cruises? I saw it in Cozumel a few weeks ago and supposedly it was on a 7 day rotation from Havana that also included Montego Bay.

I think they are doing a limited season, but are planning on basing there year round either later this year or next.

Right now, Carnival + Cuba = enough folks willing to spend a large sum of money for a 7-night cruise. Has ANYONE looked at fathom's rates?!

They are not $1800 for a balcony cabin. That's for an inside and only for just 2 cruises in October '16, and that is per person, and does not include fees/taxes/Cuban visa charges. You're well over $4000 for this alone,

https://www.fathom.org/cuba-whats-included/#spot

Scroll down the page.

Indeed, how much does the Castro regime get from these rates? You can be certain that they are getting a cut. That's how they do business.

You could always fly from Toronto because it is cheaper than a cruise:

Toronto to Holguin, Cuba

Memories Holguin Beach Resort

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 7 Days - All inclusive

Now $305 + $380 taxes and fees Total $685.00 per person.