Cancelled Port

travel09

Just received information that the Port of Cabo san Lucas is cancelled on Amsterdam, 22days from Ft Lauderdale , APRIL 30th.

How very disappointed I am, we prefer H.A.L. over all others, sing their praises to anyone who will listen.. Integrity we say...traditional, the best..!!.but this, after everything is days away, makes me feel differently, slightly sneaky I feel...to be replaced by a Sea Day, is what is disappointing, things happen... I understand, but a day at sea, no thanks. we may never pass this way again, and want to see everything possible. Consider your passengers carefully I say.!

Did they gave a reason? It is quite possible there is a very good reason that is beyond HAL's control.

Would you prefer they not cancel if there was a situation that endangered pax or the ship?

Edited by CruiserBruce

Pacific Princess is scheduled to be in Cabo that same day (May 14th) so I checked their roll call as well as the larger Princess board and there is no mention of them bypassing the port (not yet, anyway). Maybe it's a HAL-specific cancellation? :confused:

Edited by joepeka

It might be that too many ships are in Cabo at the same time. I read somewhere that Cabo can only handle three ships at a time because the tender pier can't handle more.

There are only two ships scheduled in Cabo on May 14 - Amsterdam and Pacific Princess. But now it appears there is only one, Princess. :(

Not everyone thinks the same, when you travel great distances for your cruise, it is disappointing to find extra sea days. Santa Barbara is also cancelled, and replaced with San Francisco. The reasons are to do with the tender platform repairs, so tender ports are not possible it seems,. At least we understand why, after a lengthy world cruise, we are transitioning to Alaska for the next season, so repairs will be necessary..

Not everyone thinks the same, when you travel great distances for your cruise, it is disappointing to find extra sea days. Santa Barbara is also cancelled, and replaced with San Francisco. The reasons are to do with the tender platform repairs, so tender ports are not possible it seems,. At least we understand why, after a lengthy world cruise, we are transitioning to Alaska for the next season, so repairs will be necessary..

If that is in fact the reason, it's a pity that HAL didn't think to provide the reason to its passengers. A logical explanation goes a long way in garnering passenger acceptance of last-minute itinerary changes.

We are on the Amsterdam Pacific Coastal leaving San Diego on May 16th. We received notification from our TA today that our stop in Santa Barbara has been cancelled and we will now stop in San Francisco.

Message from HAL reads: This is to advise that due to unforeseen repairs to the ship's tender platform, we must regrettably make the following change to our published itinerary...then on to tell us about San Francisco. We are very excited about the change!

To the OP, it is too bad you are disappointed...but if one cruises long enough, this will happen at some point. Passengers who read the contract with the line know that it allows port changes for any reason. This happens with all cruise lines, so it is unfortunate to refer to HAL's itinerary change as "sneaky." I don't think they make such decisions capriciously or deceptively.

A year or two ago, about two days before departure, Celebrity cancelled Indonesian ports including Komodo Island, due to a dispute with local authorities, and switched the itinerary to repeat the previous sailing...You can imagine how disappointed some passengers were, especially those who had booked the two cruises back to back, so got a rerun of the same itinerary.

Things happen when you travel. Or when you stay home.

We missed Split Croatia, which I really wanted to see, because of an electronics problem when we were about to leave Venice. OP, I'm sure that HAL doesn't like to make itinerary changes any more than the passengers do. "Ship happens." :)

Operationaly, I assume it costs HAL more to run a ship at sea than sit in the port.....but of course that depends on port fees. And of course there are more options for guests to spend more money eating and drinking and gambling on a sea day. So maybe its a wash???? But I honestly don't think HAL takes the decision lightly to change an itinerary.

it is a shame having to bypass Cabo .. the southern Baja is one of the prettiest areas in Mexico to visit with plenty of photo-ops if one is into photography.. if one tends to stay on the ship when in port it doesn't matter.. having been there more than a few times it also would be a big disappointment to miss stopping there... one of our favorites..

having just taken a roundtrip 28 day Canal cruise on the Maasdam in March the itinerary was hacked away at.. a few ports-- especially those in Mexico-- were replaced and for us duplicating the same ports on both segments.... we did stop in Cabo on the northbound run before San Diego

Edited by Stakeout

Of course when there is a valid reason ,it is seen in a different light entirely..For the uninformed ,we have had 2 Ports cancelled, and one substitute...but we understand, from a passenger on the present voyage, who is continuing onward, and was informed, the situation...Knowing in advance would have been just fine... We will consider the matter closed...