Kids in their own room

Not looking for Judgy McJudgersons here. :D

I'm just wondering how old your kids were when you let them have their own room across the hall. And also, were there any issues you encountered.

We currently have connecting balcony rooms booked on Harmony, but it would save us quite a bit of money to have our oldest 2 in a room across the hall. They will be 10 and (barely) 12.

Not looking for Judgy McJudgersons here. :D

I'm just wondering how old your kids were when you let them have their own room across the hall. And also, were there any issues you encountered.

We currently have connecting balcony rooms booked on Harmony, but it would save us quite a bit of money to have our oldest 2 in a room across the hall. They will be 10 and (barely) 12.

That's how old my kids were when we placed them in their own room across the hall. We locked them in at night, and we called to wake them in the morning. They were under strict instructions not to open the door to anyone but us, and to call us at any time if there was a problem. They are two very responsible girls, and it was fine. (After all, the 12 year old was old enough to have a babysitting job at home)

I read a tip on CC to use a baby monitor, but I never used one at home so I didn't have one to bring onboard.

Ours were 9 and 12. The room was not across the hall, it was adjoining but there was not a connecting door. We had no problems with them being "on their own". They were responsible and knew the rules. I guess it boils down to how your kids have been raised and much you trust them to do the right thing.

We have kids aged 13 and 10. I fully appreciate the opportunity to save some holiday money as you propose, but not sure we would be ready to do it until the youngest was at least 13, if not a little older. They are responsible, and we have left them in the (quad share) cabin watching a movie and put themselves to sleep - leaving instructions not to open the door to anyone etc, and they've been fine.

But if we can't get interconnecting at a good price, we will continue to do quad share for now.

I can't wait till we don't have to consider that an option though!! [emoji13].

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by QE2_Fan

Depends on the maturity and how responsible the kids are. One daughter would have been fine from 12 to 14, but absolutely not appropriate from age 15 to 18. She was one of "those" kids. The other two would have been fine at any age, but not together as they would fight. So, good thing we did not have money to cruise when they were teenagers as it would have been a logistical nightmare.

You know your kids. If they are likely to be responsible, rule followers they will be fine as young teens or even tweens. If they are like my daughter was, sleep in the same room, tie a string from her ankle to yours, put a bell on the door and know you still might learn all the security guards first names.

That's how old my kids were when we placed them in their own room across the hall. We locked them in at night, and we called to wake them in the morning. They were under strict instructions not to open the door to anyone but us, and to call us at any time if there was a problem. They are two very responsible girls, and it was fine. (After all, the 12 year old was old enough to have a babysitting job at home)

I read a tip on CC to use a baby monitor, but I never used one at home so I didn't have one to bring onboard.

That was kinda my thinking. She'll be old enough to babysit. They have been left alone at home before while I run down the road to pick up pizza or something. So they are familiar with not opening the door for anyone, etc. And they are very responsible girls. The baby monitor is a good idea. IDK why I never thought of that.

Depends on the maturity and how responsible the kids are. One daughter would have been fine from 12 to 14, but absolutely not appropriate from age 15 to 18. She was one of "those" kids. The other two would have been fine at any age, but not together as they would fight. So, good thing we did not have money to cruise when they were teenagers as it would have been a logistical nightmare.

You know your kids. If they are likely to be responsible, rule followers they will be fine as young teens or even tweens. If they are like my daughter was, sleep in the same room, tie a string from her ankle to yours, put a bell on the door and know you still might learn all the security guards first names.

LOL!! This cracked me up. I completely understand. I was probably one of those kids too. ;) But thankfully mine aren't...yet. Haha

My daughter would have been fine, but her younger brothers would have either teased her till she couldn't stand it or sneaked out to explore the ship. Very creative, they were. Came home once to find two lounge chairs on the roof. They wanted to get closer to the sun for tanning.

I would like to know how you lock anyone in a cabin in a cruise ship, though. I don't know any way to lock the door that it can't be opened from the inside, and the door automatically locks when you close it so it can't be opened from outside without a key card.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

LOL such a funny post but eek, I hadn't thought that far ahead. [emoji33]

I would like to know how you lock anyone in a cabin in a cruise ship, though. I don't know any way to lock the door that it can't be opened from the inside, and the door automatically locks when you close it so it can't be opened from outside without a key card.

We had them "dead bolt" the door, and listened for the tell-tale click. They could still open it from the inside, but my kids wouldn't dare.

One parent in each room.

I probably would be ok with it. But like others have said depends on your kids. We travel with my aunt when the kids come so they're always with her in the room, but honestly I don't know who is watching for who in that situation, lol. But we give them freedom on the ships up to a curfew time with message boards they have to put down where they're going and when. But my kiddos aren't trouble makers, and they love the kid/ teen clubs, but hate shows so I don't want them to have to sit through them if they can go hang out in kid friendly areas. That being said, if I ever found out they were causing any trouble those privileges would be revoked. You gotta do what you're comfortable with and what you feel is safe for your family.

We got 2 connecting inside cabins and put the 2 boys (ages 8 and 9) in their own room. It wasn't any more expensive for the connecting cabins, they were just hard for our travel agent to find them....

Depends on their ages....for older kids, I'd have no problem...the hall is narrow and they'd be closer to you on the ship than they probably are at home in their bedrooms! And, since one is of "babysitting" age...yes, indeed!

Edited by cb at sea

Now I know how you picked your screen name, MOMMABEAR!

Yeah, I had one of those, too. Fortunately, she grew up to be a fairly responsible adult and is getting married in July! (keeping me in drydock! :( ;) )

Edited by Merion_Mom

Yeah, I had one of those, too. Fortunately, she grew up to be a fairly responsible adult and is getting married in July! (keeping me in drydock! :( ;) )

Well congrats!!!

Exactly why the name! Luckily all that faded by 19, at 36 she is a wonderful woman, wife, mother, nurse. I just would like to live long enough to see her with teenagers! Karma kickback!

Enjoy the wedding and the joy of knowing she and you both survived. Hopefully you will be back on board in 2017.

One parent in each room.

We didn't cruise when they were teens due to financial issues but on land vacations we always shared a suite with only one door to the hallway. Luckily all of that is almost 20 years ago and she and her sibs are all amazing adults.

Edited by MommaBear55

Our kids are 13 and 11 (will turn 14 on day 2 of upcoming cruise and 12 a month later). I was all for having them in the promenade room across from us (savings of about $700) but dh wasn't comfortable and ds (the 13yo) was all excited at the thought of waking to see the Caribbean each morning. So they are next to us (not adjoining).

My friend and I were in a stateroom next to 2 boys, about 11 and 14 and wow, were they noisy, partcularly late at night. They were bouncing/throwing something against the adjoining wall, slamming doors, etc. We thought it would calm down but we had to call guest services to get any sleep.

Kids can act a lot differently when not in sight of their parents. Personally, I like the one parent in each room scheme noted above.

Edited by Bookish Angel