Summit vs. Silhouette

irishayes

I am going to take my daughter on a cruise next January, to celebrate her graduation from college.

We are doing a Southern or Eastern caribbean and are comparing the Summit and Silhouette itineraries.

We have traveled on the Summit before, doing the Southern caribbean, which is one of the itineraries we are considering. However, it seems like the ship is not getting the greatest reviews. The last time we sailed on the Summit was a few years ago.

However, the Silhouette's itinerary is not as good (IMO) as the Summit's.

Just want opinions about whether the Summit is looking a little run down, and we should go with the Silhouette, even though the itinerary is not as appealing to us?

If you are going for itinerary, I'd pick the Summit (my daughter and I are probably booking the ship today for a 5 nighter next spring. ;)) Two years ago, we took the Constellation 5 night cruise to Key West.

If you want to sail on a newer, larger and prettier ship, and planning on having some "celebrations" on your cruise, I'd pick the Silhouette. Last year, my daughters (young adults) and I sailed on the Reflection. They loved it! Much more happening on that ship than on the Constellation.

DH and I have been on the Silhouette two times and will return in 4 weeks. Very nice ship, but so is the Summit, as you know. We do prefer the staterooms on the newer ships, however. :)

Edited by Iamthesea

The Summit itinerary has more ports. The Silhouette itinerary includes 3 of the 5 ports that the Summit does, but then has an additional 2 sea days.

I would be OK with either one, but I know my daughter prefers to visit as many ports as we can.

I did see that the Summit is getting a "refresh" in 2016?

I loved both ships.

I loved Summit for it's more "intimate" size. And I loved Silhouette for the lawn club area. So if you prefer one itinerary over another, go with what you want to do. IMO, you need to take reviews with a grain of salt sometimes. You won't go wrong with either ship though.

The Summit itinerary has more ports. The Silhouette itinerary includes 3 of the 5 ports that the Summit does, but then has an additional 2 sea days.

I would be OK with either one, but I know my daughter prefers to visit as many ports as we can.

The Summit just came out of dry dock last month. Reviews on ships of this vintage are mixed across all cruise lines. They aren't as big, they don't have rock climbing walls or water slides, and they (shockingly) don't look brand-new. That is not to say that the Summit looks run-down...but a critical eye can find wear and tear, rust stains, and other visual cues that she's been in service in salt water for 15 years.

Personally, we love the size and amenities of the Summit and the ship herself was a big reason we booked it for a second time. If you want a port-intensive cruise, it's hard to beat the value of the Summit sailing out of SJ. Make sure you get the perk you want and check different TA's for an additional OBC.

It's your daughters graduation gift, so seems like the decision should be up to her. She wants more ports (what are they, BTW?) and the Summit delivers. ;)

Leaves from SJU, ports are St. Thomas, Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia, and St. Maarten.

She has only been on the Norwegian Pearl and it was during a college spring break week = DISASTER. A bunch of drunken college kids with BAD behavior. That week of cruising even had HER muttering "I hate people."

So I want to treat her to a Celebrity cruise, but I don't want either of us to be disappointed with a run-down ship. I will say when I went on the Summit in 2011, I loved it. And we loved the itinerary.

Does the Summit still have the aft bar up on one of the top decks? I remember fondly toasting each port as we sailed away.

Leaves from SJU, ports are St. Thomas, Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia, and St. Maarten.

She has only been on the Norwegian Pearl and it was during a college spring break week = DISASTER. A bunch of drunken college kids with BAD behavior. That week of cruising even had HER muttering "I hate people."

So I want to treat her to a Celebrity cruise, but I don't want either of us to be disappointed with a run-down ship. I will say when I went on the Summit in 2011, I loved it. And we loved the itinerary.

Does the Summit still have the aft bar up on one of the top decks? I remember fondly toasting each port as we sailed away.

We did that exact itinerary in 2013 and loved it. The boat tour we took on St. Maarten was the best excursion we have ever done in the Caribbean.

If you didn't think she was run-down in 2011 after 10 years of service, you won't think so now, either, especially after the recent dry dock. People see different things and (understandably) they compare the ship they are on to the last one they saw.

The Oceanview bar is still there, behind the buffet area. It can be crowded at mealtimes as a lot of people grab a plate and sit out there. It's a great place for sailaway.

They have a brand new Rooftop Terrace on deck 12:

rooftop-terrace-938x619.jpg

We just came off a Southern Caribbean cruise on the Summit a few weeks ago and loved it. If her main priority will be sight-seeing on several ports then I'd go that route. True, the ship isn't the latest/largest with a rock climbing wall, water slide but honestly the wife and I weren't really looking for that and we were part of the younger crowd. We enjoyed each excursion and exploring the ports. When we were on the ship our time was spent, relaxing, drinking/eating or watching a show.

We just got off the Summit on Saturday with the exact itinerary. I too had read the mixed reviews (first time on Celebrity) so I was kind of looking for signs of age. When we first pulled up I saw rust on the hull and mentally made a note. From there on out I never saw anything that showed age, including our cabin that hadn't been touched during the dry dock. The common areas were beautiful. Sorry I can't contrast and compare but I would not hesitate to book the Summit again.

Go with the Summit, and let us know how you likes it. :) My DH and are will be on her this coming fall, and as I said before, may be booking it again for next spring.

We did b2b Constellation and Reflection cruises late March early April. We love the Connie but found it boring in comparison to the Reflection. The evening entertainment on the Reflection was far superior. On the Connie we were hard pressed to find something to do in the evening, on the Reflection there was too much to choose from.

Hope this helps.

I am going to take my daughter on a cruise next January, to celebrate her graduation from college.

We are doing a Southern or Eastern caribbean and are comparing the Summit and Silhouette itineraries.

We have traveled on the Summit before, doing the Southern caribbean, which is one of the itineraries we are considering. However, it seems like the ship is not getting the greatest reviews. The last time we sailed on the Summit was a few years ago.

However, the Silhouette's itinerary is not as good (IMO) as the Summit's.

Just want opinions about whether the Summit is looking a little run down, and we should go with the Silhouette, even though the itinerary is not as appealing to us?

While I am a fan of the Summit- going for the 5th time on her in August, I highly recommend that you consider the Silhouette. Much more to do- a newer and larger ship, more dining venues. The summit went to dry dock recently, however the only cabins that were redecorated thus far were the Penthouse and Royal suites. Some public spaces were also upgraded, including a new rooftop open air movie screen and lounging area. Having said that, make sure you do not have a cabin below the theater. I have heard many negative things about the movie scream blasting all night making it difficult to sleep.

Enjoy your cruise- I am sure you will enjoy either ship.

Can I "assume" no charge to use rooftop terrace? Do they show first run movies?

Txs

No charge. There was a movie/food event one night that was $10. They were showing The 100 Foot Journey that is about a french restaurant and an Indian restaurant that were right across the street from each other. They served various "tidbits" of food that coincided with the movie.

We watched the newest Star Wars movie so, yes they are first run.

If her preference is ports, then I think that answers your question: go with Summit. I've never been on the Silhouette, but we just went on the Summit after drydock and we thought it was lovely. No complaints, and I didn't think it looked the least bit rundown. Is it smaller than some other ships? Yes. Not as much to do? I guess so. But you'll be spending all your time at the port, so does it matter that much? The ship will give you enough to do during the evening hours, and the one day at sea is perfect for just lounging at the pool (which is what we did). If you had more Sea Days, then a more activity based ship might be nice, but it doesn't sound like that's what she wants.

I have been on the Summit and Constellation ,and they are ok ,but I doubt they will impress a college age person. I would go for the Soltice class hip, newer , more to do , probably livelier entertainment. Am thinking about booking on the Silhouette in Dec or Jan

If I could choose between the Summit and the Constellation , I would go with the Constellation. It is surprising that when they took the Summit to Drydock, they did not take care of the rust and some of the cabins. That to me says it will not stay in service for the US market much longer. New Edge series coming in 2018 ,and the Summit will limp along until then

I love the old world class of the Summit and would sail her again any time. We have sailed almost all the S class including the Silhouette and will be on her again this summer, but in some ways I prefer the Summit. Must admit we're not big on evening entertainment so that aspect doesn't matter to us. And the Summit SJ itinerary can't be beat. We pick by itinerary over ship most times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are limited to a 7-day cruise, I would go with the port-intensive Summit. But if you want the best of both worlds, try the 14-day Southern Caribbean itinerary on Eclipse [see link to review below]. You have lots of ports, a big ship with many activities on the sea days -- and the Hot Glass Show up on the lawn [mentioning only Free things -- the for-fee restaurants are mighty pricey on Celebrity these days :eek:]

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

We did that exact itinerary in 2013 and loved it. The boat tour we took on St. Maarten was the best excursion we have ever done in the Caribbean.

If you didn't think she was run-down in 2011 after 10 years of service, you won't think so now, either, especially after the recent dry dock. People see different things and (understandably) they compare the ship they are on to the last one they saw.

The Oceanview bar is still there, behind the buffet area. It can be crowded at mealtimes as a lot of people grab a plate and sit out there. It's a great place for sailaway.

We will be going to St. Maarten next spring. Can you tell me more about your favorite boat tour? Was it through Celebrity or independent? Thanks for any info!