I am Certain Princess would act differently

kruisey

In this case my compassion was for the kids, who didn't need to suffer for their mom's lack of whatever. With them being in an awkward situation, the line letting them check in is a decent thing to do.

The kids were with their uncle. For all we know they may have had much more fun without their parents along. ;)

Maybe she wasn't thinking clearly due to a lack of sufficient butter at dinner.

That must have been it! I'll give her some of mine. I'll even give her some of my Kerrygold unsalted butter. Not a lot, but "some"🙃; I never said I was compassionate.

Edited by Treven

It does bring up the question of how old the kids are. I would think for purposes of the family that the younger the kids the better the story. Since the ages were not mentioned I'm guessing they were older. For all we know the kids are perfectly capable of looking after themselves. It makes a better read to think of them as young victims. My 14 YO was perfectly able to take care of themselves, especially with an uncle to supervise.

Sure, no one wants to see someone left behind but one has to be responsible for themselves and putting on the show she did was just silly. She knew without a shadow of a doubt that someone on that big ol' cruise ship would have a camera. It was also a extremely good bet that someone would put it on social media. So irresponsible, self centered and conceited. She puts the "me me me" thing on a whole new level.

It does bring up the question of how old the kids are. I would think for purposes of the family that the younger the kids the better the story. Since the ages were not mentioned I'm guessing they were older. For all we know the kids are perfectly capable of looking after themselves. It makes a better read to think of them as young victims. My 14 YO was perfectly able to take care of themselves, especially with an uncle to supervise.

Sure, no one wants to see someone left behind but one has to be responsible for themselves and putting on the show she did was just silly. She knew without a shadow of a doubt that someone on that big ol' cruise ship would have a camera. It was also a extremely good bet that someone would put it on social media. So irresponsible, self centered and conceited. She puts the "me me me" thing on a whole new level.

You wrote this with 'Tongue in cheek'.

One can only wonder if this was an attempt to set up a law suit or otherwise cause an embarrassing incident for the cruise liner perhaps resulting in compensation?

One can only wonder if this was an attempt to set up a law suit or otherwise cause an embarrassing incident for the cruise liner perhaps resulting in compensation?

I hope she does not get any compensation. From all indications, it was her fault she missed the ship. I am sorry her mistake is costing her so much but maybe she will learn to be responsible.

I think I read 10 and 12?

I don't think she performed for the camera. Pointed it out to the news when she got home to try to get something? I could see that.

Do we know who took the video and then posted it on the Internet? It obviously wasn't the lady on the dock filming herself. Also, I think I read that the kids were 12 and 9. Lots of unanswered questions.

You wrote this with 'Tongue in cheek'.

Why would you think that. I'm totally serious. Why no mention of the kid's ages? Better press for everyone to assume they are small children rather then teens who can look after themselves. I would love to hear "the rest of the story" but I'm sure we won't.

Her performance on the dock. Drama Queen is in the house.

You can feel sorry for her all you want. It is a lovely quality for you to have (no sarcasm, I mean that) BUT you are over the top trusting. This person in no way deserves your loyalty or empathy to her situation.

She was only interested in herself with no consideration of the entire ship of passengers and crew waiting on her. Unless she is a total moron how could she not notice that she was the only one in the store. Was she also deaf and unable to hear the vast blows of the horn from the ship signalling the all aboard and the ship leaving port? How many bets if the store clerk was interviewed they would say that she was told the ship was leaving?

Do you in all honesty believe that she didn't believe that someone of all those people on board was taking a video? Really? In today's world? I'm sure she's heard of YouTube. So tell me, who was the audience she was playing too. The ship had left the dock. The Captain made his decision (along with her husband). The Port Authority had made their decision. The Pilot had made his decision. There is no grey area here.

The people on their balconies and on deck watching her, that's who. You would have to be brain dead to think that not one - single - person - was filming her performance. She knew it. We know it. Clearly I am correct or you wouldn't have the video to watch of her doing "the begging show".

Running after a ship, dropping to your knees and begging on the dock. Does this really seam like normal actions to you? In your heart you know that she had to believe that there were no expectations for the ship to return. So what was the point of the show except for the cameras. If this was a normal reaction then we would see thousands of videos as people get left in ports around the world all the time.

Am I sorry she found herself in that situation. No. Do I feel bad her kids were put into that situation due to their mother's irresponsibility. Yes. Do I for one second believe that her kids were very young, like 4 or 5? No. Do I think she learned her lesson. Maybe.

Do I think she deserves your continued support. No. Kruisey, please spend your time and caring for someone that has earned it. Your heart is sweet but your defense of this one is way off.

Added: I see the ages of the kids are now known. Yes, I think it could be very difficult for the kids if they weren't prepared properly by the dad and uncle. Kids - dad is going to shore to find mom. If we aren't back in time you are staying with Uncle Bob until we meet in New York. Don't worry, we will be safe and will just be having an adventure of our own. Now, don't have too much fun with Uncle Bob while we are off having our own fun. But, again, who's fault is it that the kids were put in this situation. An irresponsible mother.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Aren't we reading quite a bit into this whole thing? It starts out as a sad/interesting situation on a cruise then it goes into an in-depth discussion of why the person was late followed by another discussion of why the spouse left the children on board and went to help find the missing wife followed by a short discussion of child abandonment/kidnapping or some such and now we've gone into a discussion of whether this is a planned basis for a lawsuit! What's next, a plot by another cruise line to discredit one of their competitors or perhaps it's a plot by aliens or some such!

Why not just let this thread die a long overdue death and let's all just move on and talk about our last cruise (which was probably great) or our next cruise (which will probably be even better!!)

Tom

And, I hope the value of the bags of "Made In China" stuff she had off set the cost of the trip back home.

Bob

I assumed that in one of her bags was a couple pounds of butter. She was on her knees, in anguish, realizing she wouldn't get her butter in the cabin's fridge to keep it cold until she got home.🙄

Or better yet, she was so irritated that real butter wan't being served on the ship, she had stopped off at a local dairy to pick up some butter, to take to the dining room. That was the real reason she was late returning to the ship. Oh woe, woe is me, she cried as the ship departed without her😱.

Edited by Treven

This thread has done its course I did not realize the interest would be so large.

It is amazing all the different reactions to this woman's plight.

Will anyone get to know the real story behind this?

Folks can be so judgemental and so fixed that theirs is the only explanation .

This has been a very interesting experience for me.Thank you everybody for your input .:)

This is truly something I've lost sleep over already! I booked my first cruise less than a month ago and we don't sail until January. But I am so scared of this happening to me. I'm absolutely petrified that I will miscalculate the time or I'll get something wrong ...

So I've booked and paid for two offshore excursions with the cruise line so that the ship will wait if the excursions are running late (but I've booked the earliest time slot possible for both), I've got a waterproof watch on my shopping list so I can set it to ship time and I've persuaded my husband into agreeing to get back to the ship early on those days. Like, by a few hours. We'll have quiet time in the spa or something.

Any other tips to put my mind at ease? I do NOT want to be like this woman (and not only because I couldn't cope with the entire internet/world seeing pics of my distress).

Where on this thread does it mention she bought butter or showed her reaction? I need to get caught up....

There was a very long thread a short time ago about the absence of butter at the dining room tables or maybe it was how the butter was served. I can't remember which. It really has nothing to do with this thread directly.

DON

This is truly something I've lost sleep over already! I booked my first cruise less than a month ago and we don't sail until January. But I am so scared of this happening to me. I'm absolutely petrified that I will miscalculate the time or I'll get something wrong ...

So I've booked and paid for two offshore excursions with the cruise line so that the ship will wait if the excursions are running late (but I've booked the earliest time slot possible for both), I've got a waterproof watch on my shopping list so I can set it to ship time and I've persuaded my husband into agreeing to get back to the ship early on those days. Like, by a few hours. We'll have quiet time in the spa or something.

Any other tips to put my mind at ease? I do NOT want to be like this woman (and not only because I couldn't cope with the entire internet/world seeing pics of my distress).

Don't worry yourself sick about that happening so that you ruin your cruise and/or get an ulcer over it. Does it happen? Yes. But take along the information from your ship's daily publication which almost surely has the info for the ship's agent on it so that in case a problem does arrive you can contact the cruise line's port agent in that event. Relax, enjoy your cruise and come back happy and refreshed!

Tom

Not too many people get left behind. Occasionally, you will see people "running the pier" to get on just before the gangway is pulled. In nearly every case where someone is left behind, it is NOT due to a late tour. It is people who have gotten distracted and forgotten about the time. Very often the lateness is alcohol related. So just relax and have a great cruise.

Please, don't worry yourself sick over this. Being a new cruiser, ship-sponsored excursions are a safe bet. In any event, you don't need to be back onboard any earlier than one hour before departure. When leaving on a tour, at the bottom of the gangplank will be a good sized sign with departure time on it. Pay attention to that. Also note whether, when you dock, are you on "ship's time" or "local time".

Above all, relax and have a good time.

Phew. Thank you Paul, Treven and Tom. We're not planning to drink or go shopping on our days off the ship - too many oceans and beaches to be enjoyed. Hubby and I will both be conscious of time so hopefully everything will go smoothly. If something happens beyond our control we'll be in good hands with the ship excursion people. I'll still take the contact info for the ship's agent.

Thanks again.

Edited by CupcakeSusie

Phew. Thank you Paul, Treven and Tom. We're not planning to drink or go shopping on our days off the ship - too many oceans and beaches to be enjoyed. Hubby and I will both be conscious of time so hopefully everything will go smoothly. If something happens beyond our control we'll be in good hands with the ship excursion people. I'll still take the contact info for the ship's agent.

Thanks again.

Sounds like you will be in good shape.

One other thing I don't recall seeing above is tendering. In some ports, your ship will not dock. It will be anchored off the port and the ship's lifeboats will be used to take you from the ship to the shore and back. Normally, the last tender is 1 hour before sailing.

Sounds like you will be in good shape.

One other thing I don't recall seeing above is tendering. In some ports, your ship will not dock. It will be anchored off the port and the ship's lifeboats will be used to take you from the ship to the shore and back. Normally, the last tender is 1 hour before sailing.

Oh yes! I think we tender (? is that the right verb) at two small islands. From what I can tell, the beaches where we'll be lazing are right next to the place the little boats drop us off. So I'll be able to keep an eye out.

You've really put my mind at ease! As I just said on another thread, I need to stop worrying about things.