passport expiration question

PalmTree601

I realize passports can be a hot topic here, and I’m not trying to start that debate again. Personally, I am one of those people who feels better cruising with a passport “just in case”, including for my kids.

I know that some countries say you should have 6 months of validity left on your passport when you enter the country. But I don't know if this is an issue only when flying, or also when cruising? When I sail next, my 3 kids will have about 4.5 months (instead of 6+) validity left on their passports (after the cruise ends). I have time to renew them now and solve that, but that involves non-trivial fees and a painful process since kids passports have to be renewed in person and are only good for 5 years (instead of 10). I would essentially be “wasting” 1 year of their 5 years validity by renewing early. I am tempted to wait until AFTER this next cruise to renew them.

Does anyone know of a situation/port where having only 4-5 months passport validity (after the cruise ends) would be a problem? Thank you to anyone who has experience with this, I’d appreciate your comments!

Not an issue. Some countries want 6 months left to admit you in. Not to let you leave. On a closed loop cruise you don't "need" a passport, so won't be an issue if there's less than 6 moths left. You'd be able to fly home in an emergency.

Edited by E&B

I agree with those posting above. I have read a great deal in the last few months regarding passports and travel as I have two daughters traveling out of the country this summer. One to travel in Europe for two months and one to Belize for a month.

If you need a visa to enter a country they will require 6 months left on a PP and usually proof of return trip.

On a closed loop cruise you don't "need" a passport. Therefore you are fine with the 4.5 months left on your children's passports

Go enjoy your cruise and remember to renew before next years cruise.

On my last cruise in October I had the same question. My passport expired 4.5 months after we returned. I used it to fly to Florida and at the port. No one mentioned it and there were no problems. A couple of months later I renewed it. I got it back in three weeks. This time I got the passport card too that I look forward to using on my cruise next month. When I asked this question back then, the general consensus was using it in the Caribbean wouldn't be a problem but if you fly to parts of Europe there could be problems. Have a great cruise!

Thanks for the responses so far! I was hoping I was being overly cautious in considering early renewal and appreciate your feedback.

If it helps, it will be a Carnival cruise from NYC to Grand Turk, Bonaire, Aruba, St Maarten, ending in Miami. We are US citizens.

On my last cruise in October I had the same question. My passport expired 4.5 months after we returned. I used it to fly to Florida and at the port. No one mentioned it and there were no problems. A couple of months later I renewed it. I got it back in three weeks. This time I got the passport card too that I look forward to using on my cruise next month. When I asked this question back then, the general consensus was using it in the Caribbean wouldn't be a problem but if you fly to parts of Europe there could be problems. Have a great cruise!

I thought Passport cards were good only from the US to Mexico and Canada? An I mistaken?

I thought Passport cards were good only from the US to Mexico and Canada? An I mistaken?

They are a valid form of ID for cruising like a Passport but cannot be used for air travel. My sister and nieces used them for a cruise we went on together.

I'm not sure about an open loop cruise as the one we went on left and came back to the same port. I have a regular Passport so I don't pay much attention to that kind of stuff.

Edited by firemanbobswife

If you were stuck on an island, you have already been "admitted" to that island via the blanket visa for closed loop cruises... So the 6 month validity is a moot point (the foreign countries are the ones who make the 6 month stipulation ). The USA does not require its citizens to have 6 months on their passports as ALL USA citizens will be permitted entry, it might require special paperwork, but they will not deny a lawful citizen entry to the country ... So no need to renew until you are ready...

Edited by poz222
Added info

You are leaving and returning to a U.S. port. While this is technically not a closed loop cruise it requires no visas or extended stays in any port. The kids will be fine with 4.5 months left on their passport at time of boarding.

Just make sure you renew them when you get back.

Take care,

Mike

Passport cards are not good for international travel. Most people I know who have passport cards are Captains and day workers going from STT to BVI as they go everyday and do not get stamped. All my Captain friends have both.

From the travel.state.gov website:

Passport Cards

The passport card is a wallet-size travel document that can only be used to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings or ports-of-entry by sea from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card provides a smaller, more convenient, and less expensive alternative to the passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by land or sea.

The card has the same validity period as a passport book: 10 years for an adult, five years for children age 16 and younger. Adults who already have a passport book may apply for the card at a reduced price.

For more information about passport cards and how to apply, visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.

TRAVELING TO ANOTHER NORTH AMERICAN COUNTRY, SUCH AS MEXICO, CANADA, OR THE CARIBBEAN?

The rules have changed! Now ALL PERSONS traveling to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States. If you are traveling by land or sea to the above-mentioned countries, a passport card is sufficient. All other travel, including air travel, requires a passport book.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Thanks for the responses so far! I was hoping I was being overly cautious in considering early renewal and appreciate your feedback.

If it helps, it will be a Carnival cruise from NYC to Grand Turk, Bonaire, Aruba, St Maarten, ending in Miami. We are US citizens.

does it go back to NY? if not, this is not a closed loop cruise

Fortunately, as soon as you enter your passport info on Carnival's site to do all the pre-cruise registration it tells you right then & there that your passport must be good through the length of your cruise. IOW, no worries at all--the kiddos will be perfectly fine.

Sheephugs said he/she obtained a pp card "too", meaning in addition to already having a renewed passport book.

but yes, pp cards are only good for land and sea access to the US and as photo ID on a closed loop cruise.

Edited by thinfool

Here is what the US Customs and Border patrol says about this

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

I'm taking a "Closed Loop" cruise, do I need a passport?

Most cruises beginning and ending in the U.S. are considered "Closed Loop," meaning they begin and end at the same port in the U.S. For instance, if you board a cruise ship at Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and after visiting at least one foreign port of call, such as Bermuda, or Cancun, return back to Fort Lauderdale, you have taken a closed loop cruise.

If, on the other hand, you - say - board a cruise ship in San Diego, California, sail through the Panama Canal (stopping at a foreign port during the cruise), and end the cruise in Miami, Florida, you have not taken a closed loop cruise and the following information does not apply to you. As of June 1, 2009 you need a passport (including infants).

this is on their website and leads me to believe you need a passport if you do not return to NY

I found another site that states it clearly for a carnival cruise

https://www.passportsandvisas.com/cruise/lines/carnival-cruises

NON-US Citizens, US Citizens on open-loop cruses (being and end in different ports) and passengers on cruises that stop at ports in South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and Antartica ALL require a valid passport, and in some cases a visa as well as a copy of your Alien Registration Card (Green Card).

... leads me to believe you need a passport if you do not return to NY

I realize you may be replying to other poster's discussion about passport cards, but as far as the original topic, I agree with you and we will have passports. My only question was about how long AFTER does the passport need to be valid for. Thanks for the reply!

I realize you may be replying to other poster's discussion about passport cards, but as far as the original topic, I agree with you and we will have passports. My only question was about how long AFTER does the passport need to be valid for. Thanks for the reply!

your right... I confused things. thanks!

Not an issue. Some countries want 6 months left to admit you in. Not to let you leave. On a closed loop cruise you don't "need" a passport, so won't be an issue if there's less than 6 moths left. You'd be able to fly home in an emergency.

True, unless you miss the ship in a port and are stranded. Several Caribbean countries won't let you fly out without a valid passport (St Martin comes to mind), and you may not be able to enter the U.S. by plane without one. Passport cards also don't work if you have to fly.

True, unless you miss the ship in a port and are stranded. Several Caribbean countries won't let you fly out without a valid passport (St Martin comes to mind), and you may not be able to enter the U.S. by plane without one. Passport cards also don't work if you have to fly.

But they have a valid passport. It's valid for 4+ more months. They will be allowed to leave a country with that. Having less than 6 months may not allow them to enter certain countries, but the ones they're visiting on a closed loop cruise aren't included. Now if they had no passport, or an expired one, they would have an issue leaving. That's why I put the word "need" in quotation marks. Always best to be safe and have a passport. Which they do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

But they have a valid passport. It's valid for 4+ more months. They will be allowed to leave a country with that. Having less than 6 months may not allow them to enter certain countries, but the ones they're visiting on a closed loop cruise aren't included. Now if they had no passport, or an expired one, they would have an issue leaving. That's why I put the word "need" in quotation marks. Always best to be safe and have a passport. Which they do.

Technically, I'm not sure this is a "closed loop" cruise, since it leaves from NYC and returns to Miami. So passports may actually be required for this cruise?

Regardless, it doesn't change your point about being able to fly out of a port if necessary - passports will be valid for 4 additional months following the cruise, so flying out shouldn't be an issue.