VOOM Roll Call

On Harmony, docking in Falmouth. Deck 16 by the water slides I am getting the following in speed test dot net

Ping - 202, 198, 204

Download - 4.03, 3.91, 3.78

Upload - 1.79, 2.28, 1.65

On a side note, even in Airplane mode, GPS works and with wifi the Maps app works. As we passed Cuba I was able to see the island, and see on the map exactly where we were (without having to run to the cabin to watch the onboard map). But it takes a few minutes for the GPS to "catch", and until then then Maps app is relying solely on WiFi to guess where you are. It shows me in Naples most often, sometimes in Barcelona, sometimes in FLL. And then GPS kicks in and I get mapped accurately. So, seems VOOM relies on servers in Naples, Barcelona and FLL?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But it takes a few minutes for the GPS to "catch", and until then then Maps app is relying solely on WiFi to guess where you are. It shows me in Naples most often, sometimes in Barcelona, sometimes in FLL. And then GPS kicks in and I get mapped accurately. So, seems VOOM relies on servers in Naples, Barcelona and FLL?

The reason is that iPhones at least have a database with WiFi names and locations. My office moved a couple of years ago, and when we were in the office, the maps app showed the old location since the office's WiFi name was associated with the old location. In about 4-5 weeks it updated to the new location.

The issue with ships is that of course they move all the time, so it is not possible to use that fixed location data. So the phone guesses where it is based on where that access point's MAC address has been seen before.

Could be the sat downlink is dynamic depending on the location of the satellite. Or, the speedtest app is messing up.

The speed test app consistently showed Miami as the server location, but I've only tested today. Using Google Maps with Wifi and GPS throughout the week is where I've been seeing my location as FLL, Naples or Barcelona for a few minutes before my real location kicks in.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Speedtest uses the IP address to determine which server it uses for the test. That is different than when you use maps to display a location and it locates you via gps.

Speedtest does not use GPS locations to determine the server.

• 5 weeks later...

We have had other reports of ping that high and then others indicating O3B. You can have high pings with O3B. I assume all O3B ships have the older system as a backup and also to cover locations where O3B doesn't provide coverage. So, it could be that the ship is simply using the older system (for a variety of reason). Keep testing to see if things change.

We have had other reports of ping that high and then others indicating O3B. You can have high pings with O3B. I assume all O3B ships have the older system as a backup and also to cover locations where O3B doesn't provide coverage. So, it could be that the ship is simply using the older system (for a variety of reason). Keep testing to see if things change.

My memory could be wrong, but I never thought Indy had gone to O3b. Besides the Quantum and Oasis class, I thought the only ships with O3b were Freedom and Majesty.

My memory could be wrong, but I never thought Indy had gone to O3b. Besides the Quantum and Oasis class, I thought the only ships with O3b were Freedom and Majesty.

We have had at least two reports of O3B like pings (200 ms) from Indy but like this recent post much worse ones as well. Seems to be some conflicting reporting on Indy.

Testing shows "Harris Caprock Comm Inc" which is always high orbit garbage. I'm on the ship for two weeks so testing will continue. High orbit garbage has 1/4 the bandwidth of O3b.

I owned an Internet business in the 90's so I know how to test and report performance.

Edited by serialcruiser48

Whoever reported this ship had O3b worked for the cruise line.

I don't believe anyone reported that Indy had O3B, but at least two people on board on previous cruises posted actual screen shot test results showing ping rates (~200 ms) and download speeds (more than 4 Mbps) consistent with O3B.

• 1 month later...

I imagine this is already in the thread somewhere but I tired of looking ;)

RC advertises "Surf" or "Surf & Stream". From what I've read, I'm fairly certain just "Surf" would be sufficient for my internet needs on Freedom. However, it looks like they are only selling "Surf & Stream". Is it possible to purchase just "Surf" prior to the cruise?

I imagine this is already in the thread somewhere but I tired of looking ;)

RC advertises "Surf" or "Surf & Stream". From what I've read, I'm fairly certain just "Surf" would be sufficient for my internet needs on Freedom. However, it looks like they are only selling "Surf & Stream". Is it possible to purchase just "Surf" prior to the cruise?

Not currently. They are only offering Surf & Stream pre-cruise, but at the discount they are offering, it's a better price than waiting until you are onboard and getting Surf only.

Basic question for you experts, is O3b the alleged fastest provider?