Upsell Came Earlier Than Expected

Heartgrove

Today I received an email offer from HAL for an upsell. We are moving from a Signature Suite to sailing in a Neptune Suite on our upcoming Alaskan cruise on the Niew Amsterdam. DW and I had discussed it beforehand so I had permission to act! I had even called the PCC just yesterday to check when an offer might be expected and was told that the ones going out yesterday were 13 days out from embarkation. We are 24 days out so I figured next week some time for a possible offer. Of course as luck would have it, we had printed our docs on Sunday.

So we can add another first to this cruise:

• First time to Alaska
  • First Signature Class
  • And now the first Neptune Suite!

Hope you enjoy it - I'm sure you will! We received the same upsell offer today but decided not to take it. We have a supposedly great Signature Suite booked, 6108, and I'm so curious to see it. If you look at the deck plans it's larger than normal as it is in the part of the ship that juts out. I've read a number of good things about those cabins so I'm sure my friend and I will enjoy. DH is staying home and my friend is a first time cruiser. I think we'll be so busy out and about the ship that we wouldn't be in the Neptune Lounge very much. My cruise buddy will be overwhelmed and amazed by all the offerings. The NA is a new ship to me too - and this is the first of two cruises I have booked on her. I'll be doing a recce of all the great spots on her, for when DH and I board for our Panama cruise next April.

Also, the cost difference in Canadian dollars wasn't a great deal - they were asking $324 pp for the upsell. On the web, the price differential is $400 CND. If I were truly interested, I would have made a counter-offer! But no, I'm happy with what we have.

I'll be interested to read your Neptune impressions, Heartgrove. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hope you enjoy it - I'm sure you will! We received the same upsell offer today but decided not to take it. We have a supposedly great Signature Suite booked, 6108, and I'm so curious to see it. If you look at the deck plans it's larger than normal as it is in the part of the ship that juts out. I've read a number of good things about those cabins so I'm sure my friend and I will enjoy. DH is staying home and my friend is a first time cruiser. I think we'll be so busy out and about the ship that we wouldn't be in the Neptune Lounge very much. My cruise buddy will be overwhelmed and amazed by all the offerings. The NA is a new ship to me too - and this is the first of two cruises I have booked on her. I'll be doing a recce of all the great spots on her, for when DH and I board for our Panama cruise next April.

Also, the cost difference in Canadian dollars wasn't a great deal - they were asking $324 pp for the upsell. On the web, the price differential is $400 CND. If I were truly interested, I would have made a counter-offer! But no, I'm happy with what we have.

I'll be interested to read your Neptune impressions, Heartgrove. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I felt the offer was fair considering what we had booked the SS for. We are still way below what the SA has sold, and still sells for. The amenities are the attraction for us as we flying in from the Mid-Atlantic and spending time in the area before and after the cruise. I could be wrong but I think that accepting upsells has HAL offering them more frequently to those that have a record of accepting them. We currently have two more cruises booked that I'm hoping to get offers for as well when the time comes.

You are correct about time spent in the cabin and lounge. I'm sure we will be out and about quite a bit as well. You will enjoy the transit of the Canal. I still remember my transit in '72 plus my middle bunk of a three-tiered rack on the cutter. What a difference from a HAL ship!

We're on the Westerdam for an Oct 2 cruise to Hawaii. Do you have to ask about an upsell, or do they offer to random guests? Also,,, does the upgrade fairy ever visit Holland America?

We're on the Westerdam for an Oct 2 cruise to Hawaii. Do you have to ask about an upsell, or do they offer to random guests? Also,,, does the upgrade fairy ever visit Holland America?

Starting about 4 weeks out (could be 2 weeks if you are on a popular cruise) HAL will start offering upsells (paid upgrade) in categories that have alot of cabins still open. HAL emails your TA with the upsells, unless you booked directly with them, in which case you will get the email directly. After a few days or weeks, HAL may send you a second, better offer IF cabins are still open (do not count on this though).

The best deals go VERY quickly, so if you get an email offer respond immediately if you want it. Sometimes these deals only last hours (or minutes) as it is first come first served.

As to FREE upgrades, they do happen, but not as often as in the past (due to paid upgrades I think).

Edited by DaveOKC

Starting about 4 weeks out (could be 2 weeks if you are on a popular cruise) HAL will start offering upsells (paid upgrade) in categories that have alot of cabins still open. HAL emails your TA with the upsells, unless you booked directly with them, in which case you will get the email directly. After a few days or weeks, HAL may send you a second, better offer IF cabins are still open (do not count on this though).

The best deals go VERY quickly, so if you get an email offer respond immediately if you want it. Sometimes these deals only last hours (or minutes) as it is first come first served.

As to FREE upgrades, they do happen, but not as often as in the past (due to paid upgrades I think).

Thank-you, DaveOKC

Our upsell came on April 29th for a May 30th Mediterranean Tapestry on the Eurodam. Wasn't expecting it so early :D but it was in the range of what I had already decided we would take if it was offered.

We were offered an upsell from an SY to a Neptune Suite about 2 weeks ago for our May 12 cruise. We declined. Today we were offered another upsell for about half of the original offer. We accepted and are excited about our first HAL suite.

Since we have never cruised with HAL before, we did not expect this opportunity. But, as soon as I read the email, I went to their website and went through the steps to book that cruise. That showed me the SS cabins available. Most were right by the elevators, but one or two were not. So I called and got the one I wanted that was nowhere near an elevator.

Edited by travellovers2

Since we have never cruised with HAL before, we did not expect this opportunity. But, as soon as I read the email, I went to their website and went through the steps to book that cruise. That showed me the SS cabins available. Most were right by the elevators, but one or two were not. So I called and got the one I wanted that was nowhere near an elevator.

I have found that the HAL website will offer up to ten cabins on a chosen deck if many are available. When they are sporadically placed on the deck and less than ten, I believe is when they are close to the last of that category.

For this cruise I was initially offered SA cabins forward of the mid-ship elevators. I prefer aft of midships which comes from being aboard ship in my service days. Then I was offered a SA in the arrangement that I prefer which is the couch facing- forward/bed facing-aft and chose that. I felt the offer was fair and I got a cabin that I like.

At the time there were a possible six aft-wraps available but DW didn't care to try one - this time. :)

Two years ago we were offered an up sell from SS to NS and the thing I loved was getting the coffee from the Neptune lounge with snacks, sitting on our balcony while cruising glacier bay! You will love it!!! Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

How did it come to be people 'expcx and by a certain datget upsells

I'm not certain people expect upsells, it just seems that by a certain date prior to sailing, the inventory people know what's available and start sending out emails. That's just my take on it.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Edited by ger_77

I'm not certain people expect upsells, it just seems that by a certain date prior to sailing, the inventory people know what's available and start sending out emails. That's just my take on it.

OP put 'expect' int66h4rw thxread titlee.

Edited by sail7seas

OP put 'expect' int66h4rw thxread titlee.

ger_77, I agree with your interpretation. Sail, I don't think anyone expects an upsell. I think there's an expectation that if upsells are available, it would be around 10 days or 2 weeks before sailing. Most of the posts we see here on CC about "should I take this upsell?" are for sailings in that sort of time frame.

might modal verb (POSSIBILITY)

› used to express the possibility that something will happen or be done or is true, although it may not be very likely.

expect

>believe that (someone or something) will arrive soon.

Perhaps I should have used "might be offered."

My only point with the posting was only that it came quite a bit sooner than my last upsell offer that came at 12 days before sailing. I had spent quite a bit of time watching the bookings and the still available SA cabins. Every upsell accepted means that HAL could then offer another in a lower category.

Edited by Heartgrove