Mumsy and friends live from the NA -Alaska

Expedited disembarkation began at 7:45. I am now waiting for "green 2" to be called and then face the long line for a taxi.

I have had a great time and the week flew by. I enjoyed getting back together with some of the "gang" and meeting some other Cruise Critic members.

Safe travels to everyone!

Welcome back everyone! What a great cruise you all had-loved the reports and especially the photos. I miss Alaska-wish I could get hubby to go back again but living right in Vancouver he says, for now, he's been there enough:(

You certainly had excellent weather leaving and arriving back in Vancouver. The weather is supposed to change by next weekend so you really lucked out. Hope those that are staying a few days post cruise in our lovely city enjoy yourself.

Victoriann, we'll be coming over on the Pacific Coaches scheduled bus service leaving Canada Place at 8.30am on Saturday. Not sure what time it arrives, DH deals with all of that. I'll call you.

13th May - Final Sea Day.

Beautiful morning with sea like a mill pond. Some nice whale activity around 10.30am on the starboard side.

At 11am we attended the Mariner's Medal Ceremony where Lizzie68 and her DH were presented with their 100 day medals cheered on by other Cruise Critic members. The lunch was good but the Chardonay was not to my liking so I exchanged it for the red which was marginally better.

This afternoon was spent packing and booking a future cruise. I'm very happy to say that the future cruise deposit for British Pounds onboard was a good deal. See picture.

Our winning streak failed us with Trivia this afternoon and so did the sunshine as we were plunged into thick fog. On the bright side we got to hear that horn blowing over and over. :) Around 5pm we emerged from the fog with glistening water and spectacular scenery.

As we wanted to make the most of our time together, Sapper1, Lizzie68, me and our DHs had a very informal dinner together before joining Scrapnana for our last chance at Pub Trivia at the Northern Lights. It was evident that the stakes were higher because the questions were a little more obscure. However, undeterred, we went on to win the bottle of sparkling wine for our final encore. We took it along with us to watch The Marriage Game in the main theatre and a very kind bar steward brought us glasses and poured for us.

Our final group activity was to join in the Karaoke at the Northern Lights, singing Sweet Caroline in our own inimitable style.

It's always sad when saying farewell to dear friends whom we've known so long but we're already making plans to travel together again in the not too distant future.

Tomorrow we leave the ship to join up with other dear friends on Vancouver Island while others make their way back home. This has been all the fun and laughter it promised to be and well worth the distance travelled to get here.

I hope all you who read this have enjoyed travelling along with us.

d3a943bd2305a7577b7bd040cf6ac9a8.jpg

40f5975a48b6276e353c4ab78f6f1eee.jpg

cc9523f8699473284f04662d393a6f15.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vict0riann, just wanted to report that Mumsy and DH made it off the ship in time to catch their 8:30 bus to Victoria so they are on their way. We were talking to them outside the PP at 8:30 and the bus arrived about 15 or 20 minutes later.

So--- they are on their way to see you.

I must admit to getting a little choked up at leaving everyone this morning. We have had a wonderful week and so many laughs. Thanks everyone.

I am home and on the last load of laundry. I have no idea why I didn't send any out while onboard, and now I am regretting it but almost done.

The "gull feeders" obviously didn't learn anything, as they were throwing food over their balcony into Burrard Inlet this morning. What dorks.:mad: Seagulls were everywhere. Someone else threw a pack of Cherrios from their morning breakfast on top of one of the lifeboats and the seagulls soon got into that and pooped everywhere. I had to get back inside in a hurry as a crew member came along and hosed everything down, including our balcony.

I have messages for one or two people on CC from a couple of crew members, and as soon as I have sorted through all my bits of paper and found the email addresses these will be passed on.

It was only 7 days, but what a great time we all had, and the weather was absolutely brilliant. And to think I believed it was way too early in the season - usually we go in September. It was evident that many passengers did not expect any kind of warmth in Alaska and were bundled up at every port stop, but I bet they stripped off in a hurry.:D Ketchikan was an interesting eye-opener for us with some of the sunbathing passengers on the NCL ship, but I will leave it to Mumsy to tell that tale, LOL. For myself, I wish I had brought shorts and more T-shirts along. That was pretty much all we needed. One slightly chilly day with a little rain in Juneau, out by Mendenhall glacier, but other than that it was sun and fun all the way.

It was also nice to meet other CC members apart from our own group, and a quick Hi to Dobiemom, Legalslave, Mr. (and Mrs) Georgy and Mel and Sweetheart.:D It was so nice to meet you all. Now it's back to reality, sigh.

Joining this tour on 28th may and really enjoyed reading about your experiance....my question is this...you mention you saw whales so is there any reason to book an independant whale watching tour away from the ship ??

Congratulations Lizzie68, on receiving your 100 day medallions.

Have enjoyed reading all the reports on this thread, thanks to everyone.

Wishing you all safe travelling home.

Thank you, erewhon. We had not been keeping track and it was a very pleasant surprise.

Joining this tour on 28th may and really enjoyed reading about your experiance....my question is this...you mention you saw whales so is there any reason to book an independant whale watching tour away from the ship ??

You get a much more up-close viewing of the whales on an excursion. If you are cruising from Vancouver I would recommend doing an excursion from there or from Victoria, as it is much cheaper and orcas abound in the waters there.

You get a much more up-close viewing of the whales on an excursion. If you are cruising from Vancouver I would recommend doing an excursion from there or from Victoria, as it is much cheaper and orcas abound in the waters there.

Thanks for this great idea....we actually have 2 extra days after the cruise in vancouver before heading back to the uk.......

Last time we went to Alaska we took a private Whale watching tour with Harv & Marv in Juneau. It was mid-June and we had the most fantastic experience of watching humpbacks bubble net fishing for over an hour! I don't think we could top that so probably wouldn't book another tour although I would like to see more Orcas close to. Maybe we'll do that from Victoria before we go home.

We had a very pleasant visit with Mumsy and her DH in Victoria, and tried to persuade them to retire here! (When that time comes; they are mere children to us!:D)

All being well, they must be home safe and sound by now.

We enjoyed sailing along with all of you, in spirit.:)

Hi all! I finally got home (not as much drama as getting to the ship), got somewhat caught up at work, so now I'm here. ;)

It was nice putting faces to names/handles at the Meet & Greet, and then recognizing people on the ship and in ports.

In the meantime, I opened our curtains and got a wonderful display of whales in the distance for a while. The sea is very calm and we are moving slowly through the islands. I believe we have a very brief stop to drop off people for the Tracey Arm excursion.

I'm a little perturbed at HAL Shore Excursion desk. I specifically asked about the Tracey Arm excursion and was told there wasn't one this early in the season. :mad:

Legalslave is the sweetest person to invite me to join her family on this cruise, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to go. I didn't post on the roll call because we only figured out I could come 2 weeks before sailing and we wanted to surprise IRL_Joanie. I was going to meet Joanie and others for dinner at Anthony's in San Diego before they boarded the NA for the 4-day to Vancouver but cancelled saying something came up. Boy oh boy, was she surprised! Although I missed Canadianbear and others at Anthony's since they disembarked in Vancouver before I embarked.

The Nieuw Amsterdam is a very nice ship. No problems with our cabin and didn't notice any vibrations. OMG you HAVE to eat at the Tamarind... my new FAVORITE restaurant! I wish it was on the Vista class ships. The Westerdam is my next cruise. :)

The cruise was great (what cruise isn't? :D). I was also able to see friends that were on the Westerdam (kjw869 and DW) in both Juneau and Ketchikan, albeit for just a little while. I didn't do any excursions since I had not budgeted for an Alaskan cruise this year but had a nice time walking around town, visiting museums, and shopping. ;)

It was seeing old friends and meeting new ones. :)

I'm a little perturbed at HAL Shore Excursion desk. I specifically asked about the Tracey Arm excursion and was told there wasn't one this early in the season. :mad:

. . .

Dobiemom, I was on the cruise right before yours. There sure was an entry on the published itinerary that called for a stop for Tracy Arm; however there definitely wasn't a Tracy Arm excursion. When I didn't find that excursion on HAL's shore excursion list a couple of months before leaving, I emailed Allen Marine, the company that does the excursion for HAL, and I was told that they do not begin their Tracy Arm excursions until the end of May because there is usually just too much ice. You and I will just have to return to Alaska later in the year to do that excursion. :D

I think HAL just didn't want to publish two itineraries.

Arrived home safely after a few days on Vancouver Island - well worth a visit! We sure miss all our cruising companions and can't wait for the next time. Sapper1 and Lizzie68, are you doing the Alaska leg after the repositioning next year? We may join you.

Arrived home safely after a few days on Vancouver Island - well worth a visit! We sure miss all our cruising companions and can't wait for the next time. Sapper1 and Lizzie68, are you doing the Alaska leg after the repositioning next year? We may join you.

It could happen. It's still under consideration. It would be nice to have the six of us together again.

I must apologise for not making it to the meet & greet - I was feeling a little under the weather.

Yes the seas were rolling a bit but I am usually a good sailor.:(

I would have loved to meet you all, it sounds like you had a

great time. The weather was fantastic, wasn't it?

I must apologise for not making it to the meet & greet - I was feeling a little under the weather.

Sorry we didn't get to meet you too. Who knows, we may have seen you and not realised it. On one cruise we shared a table with fellow roll call members and didn't realise it until the meet and greet.

There was a bit of rock and roll at the beginning. I hope you soon felt better. We certainly had brilliant weather in the end.

We were wondering what had happened to you. I'm sorry you were feeling not up to par but hope it passed quickly. Maybe we will get to meet you on another cruise sometime. Hope so.