Gangway on Pride collapses

LMaxwell

Just got off. Ship hit gangway and pier while docking. Looks like one of the little openings at front of ship that they open to let air in is hanging down. Been told no one was hurt.

They are for sighting when docking, not for air intake. Now that many of the winches have been moved below the open deck they need clear lines of site.

They are for sighting when docking, not for air intake. Now that many of the winches have been moved below the open deck they need clear lines of site.

I thought it was the pier runner observation deck, for the crew to cheer and jeer. ;)

The gangway, obviously, was extended out too far. Also that door at the bow is used for observation during docking by crew, not to let fresh air in.

Sadly, ships cannot stop on a dime like cars or even planes when going slow.

Even if they saw the gangway might be out too far, and made a call to the bridge, it might be too late.

Obviously this is just logical speculation on my part. Otherwise how the heck could any part of the ship hit it unless it had been extended out too far?

No, it was definitely hanging by a thread. Maybe it was what hit the gangway?

Wow! Scary stuff. I hate those gangways. If there's any type of line inside them I start to get really uneasy. Especially because it gets pretty warm in there with me being claustrophobic and all. I try not to think about it but in the back of my mind I am worried about it collapsing. It has happened before and I just don't like them.

Hope no dock workers were hurt.

The gangway, obviously, was extended out too far. Also that door at the bow is used for observation during docking by crew, not to let fresh air in.

Even if they saw the gangway might be out too far, and made a call to the bridge, it might be too late.

Obviously this is just logical speculation on my part. Otherwise how the heck could any part of the ship hit it unless it had been extended out too far?

I agree with your line of thinking; the gangway was extended out too far; this should be kept retracted until the ship is berthed securely.

I guess it is a small blessing that this occurred during docking and not a collapse while guests were using the gangway.

Yes this is what I heard also. That the gangway was extended out too far. And thanks for explaining about that door being open. I had no idea.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Probably a dumb question, but how will passengers get off?

Most likely they can use the ship's gangway at the lower embarkation sideports like at ports of call. Will delay things, as they will need to set up security to direct passengers across the pier to the terminal.

Passenger Boarding Bridge was in normal position. It doesn't get extended until the ship is in position. Ship came in at an extreme angle and extended over the pier and hit the PBB.

I think they were referring to the captain, who could be in for a white water ride over this.

when would the the ship have been under the command of the harbor pilot. at least till the first line is secure? At what point does the bridge crew take over docking procedures?

Still the Captain may take some company flak.

Edited by Trumpster

when would the the ship have been under the command of the harbor pilot. at least till the first line is secure? At what point does the bridge crew take over docking procedures?

The ship is always under the Captains command. The harbor pilot never has the controls or command. They advise and direct.

The pilot is there as a guide only...the bridge officers control the ship ....for as many bridge tours I have been on, the pilot actually only takes over on Panama Canal transits (per the bridge officers I have spoken tol....

Regardless, the Captain is always ultimately responsible for the ship.

Edited by megr1125

There's precedent, if indeed negligence is involved, and there is the difference here that so far no injuries or fatalities have been reported.

http://www.wsfa.com/story/4841168/ship-captain-charged-in-fatal-docks-crane-crash-in-mobile

Edited by Thorncroft

As others have said, the pilot is only an advisor on local conditions and docking regulations. He will give commands to the bridge crew, he will never actually touch any control (he will even ask permission to set a different range on the radar display), but the Captain reserves the right to countermand the pilot or even relieve him totally at the Captain's sole discretion.

As stated, the Captain hands over responsibility for the ship only when in the Panama Canal, or when the ship crosses the sill of a drydock.

As others have said, the pilot is only an advisor on local conditions and docking regulations. He will give commands to the bridge crew, he will never actually touch any control (he will even ask permission to set a different range on the radar display), but the Captain reserves the right to countermand the pilot or even relieve him totally at the Captain's sole discretion.

As stated, the Captain hands over responsibility for the ship only when in the Panama Canal, or when the ship crosses the sill of a drydock.

Interesting, did not know that about the Panama Canal.

According to an article I just read, they will leave the ship via the crew gangway at pier level. Embark that way too. That should be interesting. It said they expect to leave on schedule.

What happens to that dangling platform? Can it be fixed that fast?

According to an article I just read, they will leave the ship via the crew gangway at pier level. Embark that way too. That should be interesting. It said they expect to leave on schedule.

What happens to that dangling platform? Can it be fixed that fast?

I haven't seen photos of it dangling, but if it can't be secured they may just remove the door/platform entirely and board up opening to protect from weather. They can always have spotters one deck up for docking until repairs can be made. I'd suspect the door/platform or opening has been tweaked enough that they likely can't secure it in place.

I will be surprised if they leave on schedule (that is not to say they couldn't maintain itinerary, I just doubt they will leave on time).