Bringing wine aboard

cruisincorgi

Hello. Cruising on Caribbean Princess in November. Can't wait! Was wondering, how much does Princess charge you per bottle of wine brought onboard? Thank you.

1 x 750 ml bottle per passenger 21 and over free of charge for use in the cabin. Additional bottles are charged a $15/bot corkage and can be used anywhere on the ship.

Look here in the Princess FAQ section: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Will the stateroom attendant be able to provide a corkscrew?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The SRS might have one you can borrow, but you won't be able to keep it all cruise. We always bring our own.

The SRS might have one you can borrow' date=' but you won't be able to keep it all cruise. We always bring our own.[/color']
We always bring our own but just make certain to pack it in your checked luggage. TSA doesn't like to see one in your carryon luggage [emoji15]

if we take on more than the 1 bottle per person allowed and pay the corkage fee do these extra bottles get taken off us when we board and how/when do we pay the fee??

Say you take 2 extra bottles, you pay $30 when you board and they put a sticker on to show it has been paid.

if we take on more than the 1 bottle per person allowed and pay the corkage fee do these extra bottles get taken off us when we board and how/when do we pay the fee??

No you will pay the corkage fee and the bottles will be marked there is a table setup to handle this after going through port security (they will direct you to it). You can then carry them on board. The two bottles that the corkage fee was not collected will have to be consumed in your cabin if they are taken to dinner Princess can charge the corkage fee.

Take care,

Vinnie

To amplify, a bit, on Gut's response. When I've done it, after passing through the scanner at the port, I've been directed to a table where a couple Princess people counted the number of bottles or, maybe, just asked how many bottles you are bringing. If it is more than one 750ml bottle per person, they will prepare a chit for the corkage and ask you to sign. So, it is billed to your cabin account likeevery other on-board charge. Then, as Gut indicated they attach stickers with the Princess Logo onto whatever bottles you think you might want to drink outside of your cabin. You then pack up your wines, walk onto the ship and take them to your cabin. If you take one of your bottles to a restaurant or to the dining room to enjoy with a meal, your server will check the bottle for a sticker. If it has one, you will not be charged another $15. If it doesn't have one, then you will be charged.

Now, the exact procedure may vary from port to port. Some CC contributors have posted that they have never been directed to the table like I mentioned. Others reported that they just ignored the directions and boarded with their wine without stopping. I will not comment on the last action.

Also, it has been reported that if you pour a glass of wine from a bottle without a sticker in your cabin and, then walk it to the dining room, you will not be charged. One glass with dinner is never enough for me. :)

Now, here is something I just noticed. We took a cruise a couple weeks ago on the Crown, and my final account statement (that was delivered to our cabin on disembarkation day) is on the desk next to me. The statement is folded in half and sealed with one of those stickers with the Princess logo. If I carefully peal it off my folio statement, and save it, I could stick it on one of my "no corkage charge" bottles and take it to a restaurant.

But that would be wrong. Besides, on a 7-day cruise two bottles in the cabin is nowhere near enough for us.:D

Hello. Cruising on Caribbean Princess in November. Can't wait! Was wondering, how much does Princess charge you per bottle of wine brought onboard? Thank you.

If you had typed "Princess Wine Policy" into Google, you would have found your answer in about 30 seconds. Google is your friend and the repository of all the useful knowledge in the world.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Also how much do they charge to bring your own steak on board. I would love the idea to purchase my own fine steaks from my favourite butcher and have the ships cooks prepare them for my dinner.

I suppose I could have used Google. I'm not sure why someone needed to educate me on that. I'm certain I could have also looked on the Princess website. I thought it was a perfectly acceptable question for this board.

I suppose I could have used Google. I'm not sure why someone needed to educate me on that. I'm certain I could have also looked on the Princess website. I thought it was a perfectly acceptable question for this board.

T thought the reason for these boards was to share information and part of that is to share thoughts, experiences, and to ask questions. Between Google and the search function there are probably very few answers that could not be obtained.

Just keep asking questions most are happy to answer them.

Take care,

Vinnie

Edited by CruzVinnieCruz

can you buy wine by the bottle on board and how much would it be or is it just available to purchase in packages.?

Wine by the bottle is available on board (see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ight=wine+list) and on longer cruises (I think 10 days or longer) they offer packages (a certain number of bottles up to a certain price) at a fairly good (in our opinion) reduced price. See post #9 for a description of the wine packages: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2349746

Being from Australia we do not have the problem with the opening of wine bottles. All bottles produced and sold in Australia except for imported overseas bottles, have the screw top . . . very handy indeed.

So, if you take a Princess cruise, and you carry on more than one bottle of wine per person, do they call the fee for the excess bottles "Screwage"? :D

Old joke.

I really like screw caps and truly wish the entire industry would go that way. :)

Will the stateroom attendant be able to provide a corkscrew?

Yes.

We bring our own (and have bought a number of them when we buy wine in Ft Lauderdale and forget to bring ours). But we have vacuum corks at home and are always forgetting these. Just put a label on the travel corkscrew to remind me to pack the corker. Bottle won't stand up in the cabin fridge and can leak unless you cork it well.

Dorkscruising: You may buy wine by the bottle onboard. As for price around $27 USD+ and up. As well, they do have a selection to purchase by the glass.

I didn't look at the Star Princess's wine list in the repo up from San Pedro a few weeks back as I BMOB. Just wondering how value compares to street value?

I believe the cheap (house) wines on HAL are (or were) Santa Rita from Chile which the line charged you close to $40 a bottle (or a bargain $7+ a glass). This is the stuff that retail for less than $5 a bottle in the U.S. and stuff one (or at least I) would not choose to drink.

Other than the hassle of BYOB, I think one gets much better quality and value doing BYOB and paying the $15 charge.

If Princess offers a discount like HAL does for higher-level elites (50-25% off), it might be worth buying on board but not if there is no discount. No packages sold on the 4-night repo in March (while it was being touted everywhere for the 5-night on the Island P 4 years earlier).