flight time out of vancouver

TX.cruiser

I will be arriving on the Star Princess on July 16th. I booked an 11:40 am flight out of Vancouver to Houston because it was the latest nonstop flight I could get at the time. I have been reading the boards and am becoming a little concerned about the time. Any advice on how I can make this flight? I had booked transfers, but am thinking about taking a cab. Also, I read some boards where people said they received an email from Princess saying their departing flight was too early. I have not received such an email. Anyway, do you think I can make this flight??? If I leave at a later time I will spend twice as long getting home.

Have you entered your flight information into the Cruise Personalizer? It may be rejected as according to the Princess Flight Guidelines your flight is too early:

VANCOUVER

Disembarking Passengers

For voyages that arrive in Vancouver at 7:30 am, the earliest flight departure is 12:00 pm for international flights and 11:00 am for domestic flights.

For voyages that arrive Vancouver at 10:00 am, the earliest flight departure is 2:30 pm for international flights and 1:30 pm for domestic flights.

So you will probably receive that e-mail from Princess stating you cannot use their transfers as your flight is too early--yes they are that picky over just 20 minutes.

Just make sure you are in one of the first groups off the ship and have some CA$ for a taxi.

I will be arriving on the Star Princess on July 16th. I booked an 11:40 am flight out of Vancouver to Houston because it was the latest nonstop flight I could get at the time. I have been reading the boards and am becoming a little concerned about the time. Any advice on how I can make this flight? I had booked transfers, but am thinking about taking a cab. Also, I read some boards where people said they received an email from Princess saying their departing flight was too early. I have not received such an email. Anyway, do you think I can make this flight??? If I leave at a later time I will spend twice as long getting home.

Please post back here to let us know how this works out. I'm in a similar situation in August (flight leaves at 11:45) and I'd love to hear how you handle this. Thanks!

Thanks, fishywood! Yes, I did enter my info in the cruise personalizer a while back. I guess I just have not received the email yet stating they won't transfer. I'm hoping to hear from some more people who were able to do this. Right now, barbpretz, I think I'm going to take a cab and chance it. I'd rather spend the night in Vancouver and take an early morning nonstop then spend 9 hours getting home. This is my first Princess cruise, so I'm not sure how early I can disembark to head to the airport.

There are a lot of variables here. One thing is for sure: no Princess transfers.

The ship will be in on time, generally, and the clearance for these voyages is generally pretty quick. Getting an early walk-off shouldn't be that hard.

As an example, I walked off Saturday with my luggage at 8:15 (and could have left earlier had I been awake earlier) and was at the airport by the USA Departures counter just a trifle before 9:10, using the Canada Line light rail. Plenty of time, and the trains were not crowded at all (no issue with space for luggage)

Traffic wasn't awful (I had my car at the airport and needed to drive back downtown). It's realistic to believe a cab would have taken about the same amount of time.

The problem is there can be a shortage of cabs for the cab queue. I understand people were substantially delayed on both Friday and Saturday and possibly Sunday as a result.

So, yes, it's all theoretically doable. It's more doable if you're a Global Entry or Nexus trusted traveller as you could realistically arrive at the airport with as little as 75 minutes before your flight. It might be worth doing Global Entry just for this, and it comes with five years of TSA PreCheck.

I personally wouldn't choose a flight time earlier than 1:00 to be safe, but what's done is done. Out of your options, I think you're wise to go the taxi route. Check online to see how many ships are in port with you. The more ships, the longer the taxi line. Vancouver airport has you clear customs after checking in, so you have multiple lines to clear before getting to the gate. I would allow AT LEAST 2 hours, and I would advise you to check in online on the ship the day before to save some time. Opt for self-walk off, too, which means that you take your luggage off the ship with you. All of that will help you make your flight, but it's of course not a guarantee. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Your 1140 flight should be just fine. I would try to be off the ship by 0800. The problems of this week at Canada Place should be far behind us by July. On July 16th the Star and the New Amsterdam are in port and the Le Soléal will arrive at 0900 but with only 260 pax it won't be an issue. Canada Place to YVR is only 35 minutes from Canada Place. Should there be a big line for cabs then drag your luggage to the Pan Pacific which forms part of Canada Place or to the Fairmont Waterfront which is right across the street and grab a cab from there. Other options include the Canada Line but that involves schlepping your luggage some 3 blocks....however if that appeals to you come on back and I will provide details for you. A 3rd option is to reserve a limo, which while on the expensive side will relieve some of your anxiety, the limo service I would recommend is Areocar.

http://aerocar.ca/

I just got off the Crown last Friday, May 6 in Vancouver and I had booked a Princess easy air flight for an 11:20 AM flight with no Princess transfer. We did walk off for the first time at 7 AM. And it was definitely the way to go on that day .taxi lines were very organized and we didn't wait very long at all and we were to the airport relatively quick ,I'd say 25 minutes by cab. We had plenty of time to go through security by Canadian airport officials and then you clear US customs if going interNational;not within Canada.

I figured if easy air via Princess let me book an 11:20am flight then it was OK to do so.

Julie

Edited by arizonaperson

We got off the Ruby on Saturday, May 7th, did the walk off..........7:30am.......had Princess transfers........got on the 1st or 2nd bus......was at the airport about 9 am..........

Had a late flight........was able to change to a 11:15am flight..........took about 30 minutes to get thru all the customs.........we were at the gate by 10 am..........plenty of time for the flight.

Sharon

I decided it was better to spend a night in Vancouver after our southbound cruise than to try to take a same-day flight. In our case, the flights that would have worked the same day would have gotten us home very late--some were even red-eyes. We got to enjoy a nice day seeing the sights in the city instead and took an early morning flight the next day.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice! I think right now, I'm still going to try and make that flight. If not, Ill spend the night in Vancouver and fly out the next day. Since this is my first Princess cruise will I still be able to walk off early? I know on Carnival the Diamond and Platinum people are able to walk off first. Hopefully, then I can catch a quick taxi. I'm also going to check on the global entry to see if that might get me through a little quicker. Again, thanks for all the replies.

Does anyone know about Vancouver Shuttle?

Would it be more convenient than the taxi pick-up que?

We have this scheduled for our upcoming cruise.

Our flight time is just MINUTES of the Princess cut-off, or we could just do Princess! (even though I think it does cost more)

As strange as it sounds, taking the public transit (sky train) would be my suggestion if you're able bodied with not too much luggage. If you're able to walk approximately 5 minutes to the waterfront station, It's a 26 minute direct train ride from downtown and the cost is $2.75pp. The train stops right at YVR.

The taxi line is often very long at Canada Place as others have mentioned, but you could always check the taxi line on your way out to see if it's doable.

Since this is my first Princess cruise will I still be able to walk off early?

That shouldn't be an issue...but you need plead your case with the front desk to get in the first or second walk off group. I normally do this the first full day of the cruise, so there is plenty to time to process the request.

As strange as it sounds, taking the public transit (sky train) would be my suggestion if you're able bodied with not too much luggage. If you're able to walk approximately 5 minutes to the waterfront station, It's a 26 minute direct train ride from downtown and the cost is $2.75pp. The train stops right at YVR.

The taxi line is often very long at Canada Place as others have mentioned, but you could always check the taxi line on your way out to see if it's doable.

I was going to suggest this, but you beat me to it. I've only gone in the opposite direction...Once you walk in is everything easily found? I got a little turned around trying to leave the building! I plan to use it on June 4 to get to the airport, but I'm not in a hurry. Hopefully I will pay attention when using it then and can post more info about it, if someone doesn't beat me to it!

Elites get to choose their own disembarkation group, but the Self-Walkoff groups aren't based on loyalty status. Go to Passenger Services and request the earliest self-walkoff group if they don't assign it to you already.

I was going to suggest this, but you beat me to it. I've only gone in the opposite direction...Once you walk in is everything easily found? I got a little turned around trying to leave the building! I plan to use it on June 4 to get to the airport, but I'm not in a hurry. Hopefully I will pay attention when using it then and can post more info about it, if someone doesn't beat me to it!

Yes, it's very easy to find. It's a direct train with YVR at the end of the line, so you don't have to worry about switching anywhere. It's also in a good part of downtown so there's no problem walking there from the Canada Place terminal.

I just got off the island princess Wednesday may 11 and my Alaska flight to Portland was at 11:30 am. I got off the ship at 7:45 am with my carry on and took the sky train to the airport. I arrived at the airport at 8:50 am and had more than enough time. The sky train fare was $4 Canadian and it took about 25 minutes. I plan to do it in reverse on May 20 when I cruise the crown princess from Vancouver to Seattle, after arriving at yvr at 11:35 am.

For those contemplating using the Canada Line from Waterfront Station it is important that you are able-bodied, can handle all of your luggage for a slight uphill 3 block walk...if you can't then I would not advise it.

As you come up the pedestrian ramp out of Canada Place look to the left and you will see a low, red brick building, that is Waterfront Station. Turn left when you reach the top of the pedestrian ramp, walk as far as you can go and turn right up the Howe St. ramp. Avoid the temptation to enter the station off the Howe St. ramp but continue up the ramp to Cordova St. Turn left on Cordova and enter the building thru its main front doors. One inside the route to the Canada Line is well signed. There is an elevator for people with luggage to get down to the Canada Line platform. It is important that you take the YVR/Airport train as the there is a second train, the Richmond/Brighouse. The full adult fare is $4 and the ticket vending machines will only accept Canadian funds, they will however accept Visa, MasterCard and American Express and some Visa debit cards. The trip from YVR to Waterfront Station attracts a $5 convenience fee which is added to fare making it $9 for a full adult fare.

The cars for the Canada Line were designed with luggage in mind had it an easy roll on and roll off for luggage. However, the line is predominately a subway line so if that troubles you may want to rethink using it.

I'll echo those who suggested walk-off. We just disembarked the Coral Princess at Canada Place yesterday. They ended up calling all of the walk off groups early as they weren't able to get the luggage cleared early enough with 3 ships in port and it was slow going. We made our 12:51 flight with a little time to spare but wouldn't be surprised if some of the folks who did the Princess transfer with earlier flights missed their flights due to the delay. Just remember that walk off means that you will need to handle all of your own luggage when you disembark the ship.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice! I think right now, I'm still going to try and make that flight. If not, Ill spend the night in Vancouver and fly out the next day. Since this is my first Princess cruise will I still be able to walk off early? I know on Carnival the Diamond and Platinum people are able to walk off first. Hopefully, then I can catch a quick taxi. I'm also going to check on the global entry to see if that might get me through a little quicker. Again, thanks for all the replies.

After you get off ship, grab a porter who will get your luggage and cut through all lines. We had 4 of us May 13 Crown Princess, (would do it for 2).....gets you right out to cabs, tip about $20....saved our backs, and lines.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to post a quick reply on my flight out of Vancouver. I'm not sure if it made a difference, but I had registered my flights on the cruise personalizer so they were aware of my flight times. We were given a form during the cruise - probably Wednesday or Thursday for Direct to Bus, which bypassed Canadian Customs. Received my luggage tags Friday night. Put the luggage out before 10. We were on the first bus out. We met in the Vista Lounge at 7:45. After our group loaded the buses we departed for the airport around 8:10 - arriving at the airport approx. 8:50. We picked up our luggage at the designated spot. Checked luggage, got boarding passes, went through security (I used all the global entry lines since I already had my card). We were on our way to the gate at 9:15 - plenty of time for our 11:40 flight.