Sailing with an infant, what are pros and cons?

My grandson will be 6 months old when our family reunion sails in April of 2017. We are trying to decide if they should cancel. What do we need to take for a 6 month old with us? Passport, food, crib/ What are the pros and cons.

My grandson will be 6 months old when our family reunion sails in April of 2017. We are trying to decide if they should cancel. What do we need to take for a 6 month old with us? Passport, food, crib/ What are the pros and cons.

You need to take everything he would need at home except they will supply a pack-n-play (although bringing your own sheets is suggested as they do not have fitted sheets for them, just folded up big sheets). All meds he could possibly need, food, and tons of diapers. A lot really depends on the baby - as you probably know, there are easy babies that adjust to all situations and babies - screamers - you really can't take anywhere and expect to be invited back (have had both). Of course, it's way too soon to tell about your new grandson.

Don't really need a passport - his birth certificate will suffice. Actually, a 6 month old who is not a screamer is easier than an 18 month old who is into everything.

Ugh, all cons in my book. Of course the point of this trip is a family reuiniun, so seeing family members would be a pro, but I just can't imagine having any fun with all the restrictions of having a child that age on a vacation. I took my 3 year old on a cruise with family, but none of the family (including grandma) wanted to sacrifice any of their vacation time to babysit so I could do things that weren't child friendly, and I went without a spouse or significant other to keep me company, so my experience was fairly miserable. I still enjoyed being on vacation, for the sake of it being a vacation, but I was painfully aware of all the things I wanted to do and couldn't, and vowed never to take another trip like that until she was older.

It could be different if there are other family members with small children, or others who are willing to babysit, or others who are willing to do the kinds of activities that can only be done with babies. For me it was a lonely experience (we couldn't even use the pool so there was nothing to do but walk around the ship by ourselves). Not to mention you pay a full fare for a baby, and have to lug around all the supplies because it's not like you can get up and go to the store in the middle of the night. No bathtub for bathing. Like I said. Ugh. But maybe that was just my experience.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Ugh, all cons in my book. Of course the point of this trip is a family reuiniun, so seeing family members would be a pro, but I just can't imagine having any fun with all the restrictions of having a child that age on a vacation. I took my 3 year old on a cruise with family, but none of the family (including grandma) wanted to sacrifice any of their vacation time to babysit so I could do things that weren't child friendly, and I went without a spouse or significant other to keep me company, so my experience was fairly miserable. I still enjoyed being on vacation, for the sake of it being a vacation, but I was painfully aware of all the things I wanted to do and couldn't, and vowed never to take another trip like that until she was older.

It could be different if there are other family members with small children, or others who are willing to babysit, or others who are willing to do the kinds of activities that can only be done with babies. For me it was a lonely experience (we couldn't even use the pool so there was nothing to do but walk around the ship by ourselves). Not to mention you pay a full fare for a baby, and have to lug around all the supplies because it's not like you can get up and go to the store in the middle of the night. No bathtub for bathing. Like I said. Ugh. But maybe that was just my experience.

You are correct, it is a matter of personal experience. We took our family, which at the time included our 15 month old grandson, on a cruise to Bermuda and it was one of the best cruises we've ever had. Sharing that experience with our entire family - including him - was something my wife and I wouldn't have traded away and would gladly do again. To us, the sacrifice would have been in not doing it. :)

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You are correct, it is a matter of personal experience. We took our family, which at the time included our 15 month old grandson, on a cruise to Bermuda and it was one of the best cruises we've ever had. Sharing that experience with our entire family - including him - was something my wife and I wouldn't have traded away and would gladly do again. To us, the sacrifice would have been in not doing it. :)

...but how did the parents feel? It's one thing to enjoy being around little ones, and a different thing to be in charge of them. It's entirely possible they also had a great time; considering they were on a cruise with family who wanted to slow down to "family pace" and enjoy the grandkid. But if everyone else wants to do adventurous things, and a parent always has to sit in the room for nap time, or you're exhausted because your baby still wakes up every 3 hours at night, or your breastfeeding every couple hours, then a vacation could very well be more exhausting than fun.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Just finished a week long on Allure with our 6 month old daughter (our first child). Went with two sets of grandparents. It is not all cons in my opinion. Maybe that was due to having family with us but we enjoyed having our baby girl on a cruise with us. It is certainly different than not traveling with a baby but still a fun time for us. They will provide a standard pack and play and yes bring your own fitted sheets, the food you need, plenty of diapers, all the potential medicine, etc. The staff and passengers will likely shower you with attention because lets face it, babies are cute and they put smiles on faces. Our girl sleeps through the night and she did so 6 out of the 7 nights. If she didn't not sure we would probably cruise with her. She has her moments but I would say she is a happy baby so not so difficult. Bathing them is harder but many suggest a small blow up tub (you can get them at walmart). Again, harder than at home but traveling with a baby is always going to make things harder. We ate in the Windjammer at night as this was easiest so we could time it around our daughters schedule and not have long dinners. We enjoyed the flexibility as we normally do longer dinners in the main dining room. The wife and I did 2 nights out when the folks were babysitting for us but even thought we only spent 2 nights out and about on our own we still thought it was worth doing the cruise with her. Hope this helps a little and their is a family forum on here that will likely help you a lot if you decide to cruise with the baby. Have fun.

Well, I'm one of those who really doesn't want to take children younger than 10 on a cruise; however, I would be tempted to change my position if this reunion included people who never get together and might not see each other again for a long time. If this is an annual get together, then I personally would pass, but that's just me.

Edited by mek

...but how did the parents feel? It's one thing to enjoy being around little ones, and a different thing to be in charge of them. It's entirely possible they also had a great time; considering they were on a cruise with family who wanted to slow down to "family pace" and enjoy the grandkid. But if everyone else wants to do adventurous things, and a parent always has to sit in the room for nap time, or you're exhausted because your baby still wakes up every 3 hours at night, or your breastfeeding every couple hours, then a vacation could very well be more exhausting than fun.

The parents were fine with it and had plenty of free time while the rest of us spent time helping with our grandson. We had planned this cruise for a while and as it was a family cruise spent most of our time doing things together And when not, there was always someone around to help out.

Perhaps what made this easier is that we were in a Royal Family Suite that had a bathtub in one of the two bathrooms as well as separate bedrooms and a very large deck. Easy to manage the logistics of the family and our grandson.

Maybe another difference is that our children are all of adult age so we were more on the same page. But everyone - including my wife and I - had plenty of time on our own as well. But his parents didn't stop being parents on the cruise and there really were no issues that took away from the vacation aspect of the cruise.

Sorry, I just don't see the issues you suggest - just a different perspective I guess. And I stand by what I said before - loved it and would do it again tomorrow. In talking with my children afterwards, I know they would too. :)

They do supply a packnplay and you can pre-order diapers. Buy yourself a lightweight fold-up stroller and swim diapers. Bring grandparents. [emoji38]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I read a lot of great tips for taking them.

Fly in a day early and go to local store for diapers and baby food.

Read things I had not thought of TEETHING. Now that is a big NO. for taking him.

I did not see any thing about heating up a bottle. As the baby wont be born until October mother is still deciding on breast or bottle.

I guess our decision wont be made until March. We will have a chance to know his personality, if he is teething, and other concerns by then. We now have everyone in their own JS next to each other but the ship will not let us book family suite until we get closer to departure. Many age groups of family going so not a problem of others watching him.

Thank you everyone.

Edited by bjtll

Read things I had not thought of TEETHING. Now that is a big NO. for taking him.

I did not see any thing about heating up a bottle. As the baby wont be born until October mother is still deciding on breast or bottle.

I guess our decision wont be made until March. We will have a chance to know his personality, if he is teething, and other concerns by then. We now have everyone in their own JS next to each other but the ship will not let us book family suite until we get closer to departure. Many age groups of family going so not a problem of others watching him.

Thank you everyone.

It sounds like you may be cutting it close on the baby's age at the time of sailing. Following is a portion of RCI's age policy - in particular as it relates to infants - just to be sure:

Infants sailing on a cruise must be at least 6 months old as of the first day of the cruise and/or CruiseTour. HOWEVER: For transatlantic, transpacific, Hawaii, select South American and other selected cruises and/or CruiseTours, the infant must be at least 12 months old as of the first day of the cruise/CruiseTour. For the purposes of this policy, any cruise that has 3 or more days consecutive at sea will require infants to be 12 months old on the first day of the cruise/CruiseTour.

Also surprised they will not let you book a family suite. They are popular and typically book early. As long as you have the minimum now in your party for a booking I would be surprised if they wouldn't release it.

IMHO...until a child can tell you where it hurts I do not think he/she should go on a cruise. It.s all about an emergency situation for me. However, on my last 3 cruises since January I have seen many more infants than toddlers on ships.....so no one seems to be concerned.

Edited by land lover

Thank you everyone.

Almost a year away.....so much can happen...book the cruise and with the child as TBA...then prior to final payment the decision can be made. Surprised they will not let you book the family suite.

Congrats on your new GC , once he is born and you and your relatives r holding him in your arms this cruise will hold no importance...

Edited by land lover

Done two cruises and one Club Med with grandkids. Youngest was 10 weeks which we did to Club Med and the two cruises have been with youngest about 16 months.

We did all family reunions so traveled with 12-14 aunties and uncles, parents and grandparents.

While it can be a little trying everything seems to work out. I wouldn't change any of the trips for anything.

We did get a passport for the Club Med trip, which was an experience in itself. Dealing with county and federal governments to expedite the PP was stressful enough. Anybody seen a PP photo of a three day old? Makes me feel secure.

I think the biggest hassle on the cruise was bath time with lack of a tub, but the blow up thing seemed to do the trick.

Cruise staff seems to really enjoy the babies and always bent over backwards to treat them well.

I did purchase MedJet insurance for the Club Med trip just in case we had to get somebody back to the USA, ASAP. Luckily we never had to use it, but it made grandpa feel better knowing we could be in San Diego within 90 minutes.

We are having a family reunion the end of the month on Liberty of the Seas. The grandkids will be 1,3 and 6. As Grandma i want to be sure every one has a good time. While I don't want to be in every night or afternoon for nap I plan on trading off some to make sure the kids see the main shows and do fun things.

I think the parents have to go in with the right attitude. It will be a different vacation with little ones but can still be lots of fun. And our aunts and uncles are good about helping.

Do take everything you need for a baby. Our daughter will check a box of diapers, wipes, baby food etc. Bring any meds you might need including powdered pedialyte, thermometer. If you stay in less then a Jr. Suite you will need an inflatable tub to bathe baby. A stroller that collapses small and reclines will help baby nap around the ship.

We cursed one year with our 10 month old granddaughter that was still on baby food and formula. We had to bring all her food and formula, along with diapers, wipes, etc. We also bought an inflatable baby bath tub, to set in shower for her. And I am very glad we had the fore thought to bring pedialite, just as a precaution! She had some issues at first--motion sickness??---and we were very glad we brought it!

We cursed one year with our 10 month old granddaughter that was still on baby food and formula. We had to bring all her food and formula, along with diapers, wipes, etc. We also bought an inflatable baby bath tub, to set in shower for her. And I am very glad we had the fore thought to bring pedialite, just as a precaution! She had some issues at first--motion sickness??---and we were very glad we brought it!

I'm sure you mean "cruised". After all, while a 10 month old can be a handful, a year of cursing seems excessive....:D;)

Some of our greatest family memories are of cruising with our children before they reached the ages of 2.

OP: you may want to take your questions to the family board here as most the posters there have first hand experience with what you are wondering.

The number 1 thing you need to be concerned with is the child's age. They must be 6 months on the first day of sailing. If he is born in late October and your trip is in early April, he will not be old enough. No exceptions. Even 5 months and 29 days won't cut it.

There is a minimum age for infants. Besides that there isn't alot you can do. No pool, not many excursions, not much room in cabins to begin with, no microwaves or refrigerator (It's a chill box not safe enough to store milk) plus consider all the germs and viruses. That is 3000 coming and going to and from various countries and an infant probably isn't equip to fight them off.

Thank you everyone.

I would think ultimately it is the Parents decision not the Grandparents. Some new parents are a little protective with their first and some not. For my family it is the amount of germs and number of people onboard as the reasons my kids choose not to bring their infants on a cruise. My sil is a microbiologist and wants to wait until their kids are older. I have one grandchild that will be taking their first cruise at age 2 but on Disney because they believe it is cleaner and more catered to families. But that is their choice and opinion not mine.

Your situation is different. If they decide to go I bet you will enjoy showing off your new grandchild.

Sent from my RCT6203W46 using Forums mobile app

I have cruised 3 times with my young children, 2 years ago when my youngest was 7 months and last year when she was 18 months. There are no real cons from my perspective and I never saw that I was missing out on anything. It was much easier to cruise when she was 7 months than when she was a toddler and running all over the place.

The things that really helped were:

Choosing a cruise that had a night nursery. When my daughter was 7 months she would typically fall asleep around 7pm and we would simply wheel her into the nursery in her pram and pick her up a few hours later. She only woke unexpectedly one evening and we had dinner as a couple for 2 whole weeks without children! The next cruise she was awake later and there wasn't a night nursery so we just adjusted our plans and either ate later when she did fall asleep (and had her sit beside us in her buggy asleep) or we ate together in the Windjammer.

I brought two slings with me and they were invaluable. We went on lots of tours and carrying her in a sling meant we weren't left out of anything. Some of the tours would be tricky to do with a pram with steps etc

The slings were also great for walking around the busy ship at night and not having to depend on the lifts.

We brought a blow up tub and used it beside the pool. Bring a toy watering can or tea set for maximum fun!

Breastfeeding definitely makes things easier but you can also bring ready made formula in the cartons and then there is no worrying about making up formula. By that age sterilising bottles is less of an issue but you can bring sterilising powders which are easy to use.

At 6 months the baby will be weaning on to foods. I found the cruise was a great weaning experience - you can ask the crew to puree food but I didn't actually need to. Its very easy to find suitable foods - mush up a banana or mashed potato for example.

The cruise will supply a travel cot for sleeping which we found fine.

Undoubtedly our best cruise was the one when our daughter was 7 months. It will be what you make of it....but a little planning does help!

Edited by Topbuzzer

We have already booked the cruise for April 22of 2017 and baby is not due until October of 2016 . We are all in JS so tub wont be a problem. I had never heard of the six month rule. We were on the Anthem in February and saw many small babies.

Thank you for the information its helpful in making the decision.