LaHarve (Paris/Normandy) Tour Cancelled!

MTJSR

I have family on the current Caribbean Princess British Isles cruise and they were notified yesterday that the port stop in LaHarve France on May 19th is cancelled due to a Port Labor Situation.

Brugge Belgium will be the substitute port stop. Any suggestions I can pass on?

Edited by MTJSR

The nearest seaport to Brugge is Zeebrugge, and you can find your cruise ship in the list of arrivals on here: cruisereiziger.nl/aankomsten/…

There are buses from Zeebrugge to Brugge (see http://www.brugge.be/internet/en/toerisme/omgeving_zeebrugge/Zeebrugge.htm) or your cruise company may run a shuttle to Blankenberge - just next to Zeebrugge - for the train (14 mins, hourly departures, cost €2.90) but as I see you really only have a morning, you might also want to consider taking a taxi.

Edited by TracieABD

I'd be so disappointed as Paris is one of the reasons I'd want to do that itin!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just as an FYI- you get very little time in Paris as it takes 2 hours each way to get from port to city. My brother and SIL did it last year. On the way back to port, there was a very serious accident. Had they not been on a Princess tour, there is a good chance they would have missed the ship to London. I think they were a bit disappointed as they saw so little of Paris on this trip.

The nearest seaport to Brugge is Zeebrugge, and you can find your cruise ship in the list of arrivals on here: cruisereiziger.nl/aankomsten/…

There are buses from Zeebrugge to Brugge (see http://www.brugge.be/internet/en/toerisme/omgeving_zeebrugge/Zeebrugge.htm) or your cruise company may run a shuttle to Blankenberge - just next to Zeebrugge - for the train (14 mins, hourly departures, cost €2.90) but as I see you really only have a morning, you might also want to consider taking a taxi.

Great info & going to Brugge or further on the train to Ghent was a great day for us.

Brugge (Dutch spelling & Bruges in French) is a beautiful city & being smaller was easier to navigate than larger Ghent which was still walkable for us. :)

We visited Belgium last year and spent the day in Brugge. Roni's taxi picked us up at the pier, took us to the city center, picked us up for the return trip 6 hrs later.

Loved Brugge. Easy town to walk around in, with lots of interesting little shops and a ton of good restaurants. Had a great lunch. Boat ride on the canals is fun.

We would be to. We did it in September, I set up a tour for a group from our roll with Label West in laHavre and we had a great tour of Paris highlights and a couple of hours on our own to explore.

Just as an FYI- you get very little time in Paris as it takes 2 hours each way to get from port to city. My brother and SIL did it last year. On the way back to port, there was a very serious accident. Had they not been on a Princess tour, there is a good chance they would have missed the ship to London. I think they were a bit disappointed as they saw so little of Paris on this trip.

Yeah; DH wants us to request disembarkation in Le Havre if we ever do this cruise. That makes me nervous for different reasons, but I do understand his reasoning. We also discussed taking the Chunnel back to Paris for 2 days, so we could do the Normandy excursion on the port day.

Yeah; DH wants us to request disembarkation in Le Havre if we ever do this cruise. That makes me nervous for different reasons, but I do understand his reasoning. We also discussed taking the Chunnel back to Paris for 2 days, so we could do the Normandy excursion on the port day.

Planning to disembark in La Havre may not work if the ship is unable to get into port and I think you're better with the post-cruise Chunnel option.

We took a high speed train to Paris during a visit to the Netherlands and it gave us more than a couple of hours in Paris where there is so much to experience.

Last year we took the train from La Havre for an enjoyable day touring the half-timbered buildings & cobblestone stone pedestrian center of Rouen. It was an easy journey & a much less expensive way to enjoy more time in Rouen. During prior visits we've enjoyed visiting Honfleur (and to a calvados area) & on another cruise the D-Day areas of Normandy.

There are so many things to do from La Havre (friends went to Monet's home) and if you can go to Paris while not on a cruise that would be better. :)

Fly to Paris... way to much to see, bus to and from Paris about 6 hours ...only about 3 hours in Paris. I have been to paris many times, been on a cruise with stop in LaHavre... also stay there vs going to Paris.

Paris is a great city.... actually my favorite city in the world to visit, beside my home port of San Francisco.

We are planning to do this British Isles cruise next year and were considering disembarking in La Havre. Based on this post and the comments, think best to reconsider and get to Paris by other means!

SBG...there are so many closer options near La Havre that you won't have a lack of great places to visit. :D

Tom's Port Guides was very useful for our touring from La Havre...both when traveling independently or considering a tour.

We are planning to do this British Isles cruise next year and were considering disembarking in La Havre. Based on this post and the comments, think best to reconsider and get to Paris by other means!

we've done it from Brussels by train so you wouldn't be completely messed up. It's not that far

We did a Paris Excursion from LeHavre on Emerald Princess last month. We had a bit over six hours in Paris on the ship's excursion. It's a long drive (almost 2 hours each way) but so worth it!

Last time we do docked in Le Havre we went down to Honfleur for the day and had a great time. Friends on the cruise took the ship excursion to Paris and were extremely disappointed.

After disembarking in Southampton we spent a few days in London, then took the Eurostar to Paris and revisited the city for 5 days. For us it was a much better decision.

Hi All

My advise for those wanting to see Paris, is either fly into Paris and spend a day or two there, before travelling onto London you can fly Paris Southampton for £40 if you want, or take train,

next would be at end of cruise spend a few days in London and take the train as a day return to Paris.

One cruise we did the Paris buses took four hours to get there, some buses turned back, some guy called Obama was in town and caused traffic grid lock.

yours Shogun

Smslms

Can you tell me what transport did you use to get to Honfleur? Bus, train, taxi?

Thanks.

Private tour, split with another couple. Can't recall cost offhand but it would have been reasonable or we wouldn't have done it.

Can you tell me what transport did you use to get to Honfleur? Bus, train, taxi?

Thanks.

This guide has info on getting to Honfleur & other places to visit during a day in La Havre.

http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/lehavre-11-20-2013.pdf

Rick Steves has excellent books about touring independently from European ports...the Mediterranean & another one for Northern Europe and they were well worth the price for us.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We did a Paris Excursion from LeHavre on Emerald Princess last month. We had a bit over six hours in Paris on the ship's excursion. It's a long drive (almost 2 hours each way) but so worth it!

I could not agree more with you….my only caution is that you will immediately want and start planning a longer trip there. We spend a month there now every year and that aint enough!

We disembarked a day early in La Havre. It was easy to do and we didn't want to go back to London. Just make sure you contact Princess well before the cruise to get "permission" to get off.

Now if the port stop is skipped... That could throw a wrench in the plans.