Why is Royal's behind the scenes so expensive?

Just did it on Allure. Kind of have some mixed opinions on it.

While it was still interesting is did seem lacking. To me it could have been more but wasn't.

Areas covered

Galley

Provisions Area

Engine Control Room

Laundry

Back stage of the theater

Three of the crew break rooms

Helipad

Walked thru the crew "Windjammer"

Bridge

Based on my recent experience and older reviews. I think it was something it no longer is.

We were on the Allure in June a couple years ago during their big Make a Wish Month and the auctioned off an engine room tour. My husband to this day will not tell me how much he "donated" but I have to say it was the coolest thing ever! If you every have this option and enjoy this kind of stuff try to go for it. They said there are only 4 weeks a year they offer it during the Make a Wish Month, and only two per cruise.

We actually walked through the actual engine room, belly of the ship and saw all the equipment including the big stabilizers, the whole water filtration, garbage process, etc. They were in the process of repairing one of the generators and could see inside the massive equipement. We were accompanied by three security guards the entire time and were "wanded" prior to starting. We did see some of the I-95 corridor and spent quite a bit of time in the control room.

We are both architects and find these vessels completely fascinating and like knowing how things work....I am sure some my not have enjoyed it, but if that option comes up again seriously consider it.

Karen

Done it on Allure. Asked the question during the tour. Were told that the money goes towards a welfare fund for the "lower workers".

In that case, we choose to believe that it was money well spent, and for once in a lifetime - the tour was very interesting.

The proceeds going to the crew welfare fund was brought up, I don't know if that is new or not. I suspect based on my tour about 10 days ago, they are cutting costs here too. Our tourguide was as useful as a screen door on a submarine and they are increasing the number of tours operating with many going simultaneously causing delays and back ups. We spent 20 minutes in one of the crews lounges playing pool and Ms Pacman till the group ahead of us left the bridge.

If anyone did the tour a year or more ago and did it a 2nd time (would anyone do it a 2nd time) I would love to hear there opinion. I think they have cheapened it up a bit and it seemed rushed to me.

Edited by BillOh

The proceeds going to the crew welfare fund was brought up, I don't know if that is new or not. I suspect based on my tour about 10 days ago, they are cutting costs here too. Our tourguide was as useful as a screen door on a submarine and they are increasing the number of tours operating with many going simultaneously causing delays and back ups. We spent 20 minutes in one of the crews lounges playing pool and Ms Pacman till the group ahead of us left the bridge.

If anyone did the tour a year or more ago and did it a 2nd time (would anyone do it a 2nd time) I would love to hear there opinion. I think they have cheapened it up a bit and it seemed rushed to me.

I've actually done four of them (Allure, Independence, Vision, & Quantum). See my signature for when I did them. I'm not Diamond or Diamond +, so they have been the $150.00 tours. It was very interesting to see the differences between each class of ship & how tech has improved over the years. They didn't seem cheapened out or rushed. The only time I felt held up was last year on the Quantum when we hung out in one of the crew lounges while the earlier tour was at the next station. One of the other passengers felt the need to get into a heated debate with the bartender in the lounge concerning crew pay & benefits.

I'll probably do the tour next year on Brilliance and Adventure. My only issue with them is concerning when they do them. I would prefer it to be on any sea day other than the last one, especially if it's the day before returning home. On the Allure I could pick one of the last two being that it was an Eastern, and Quantum was basically the same since we had like four.

We actually walked through the actual engine room, belly of the ship and saw all the equipment including the big stabilizers, the whole water filtration, garbage process, etc. They were in the process of repairing one of the generators and could see inside the massive equipement.

Karen

The $150 tour we took got the Engine control room, but not the engine room it self. We were told about the stabilizers and water filtration, but didn't see it.

The $150 tour we took got the Engine control room, but not the engine room it self. We were told about the stabilizers and water filtration, but didn't see it.

The engine room and other mechanical spaces are noisy and dangerous, which is why I presume they are not part of the regular tour. While we were on Allure there was an excellent 30 minute video of those areas on the captain's log channel. You would miss it if you never turned on the TV, though.

Also the minimum temperature in the engine room is 105 F.

Edited by Pratique

Also don't understand why Royal makes you pay for the tour if you want to see the galley while Celebrity offers galley tours for free.

Celebrity's ship tour is also $150:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/inside-access-tours

See How It's Done Tour

A comprehensive look at many guest and crew areas including the Bridge, Mooring Deck, Engine Control Room, Main Dining Room Galley, Theatre, Crew Mess Hall, Crew Gym, Officer Offices, store rooms, prep rooms and more. Three-hour tour on sea days, $150 per guest.

The tour will be followed by a wine-paired lunch in the Main Dining Room. Tours have a maximum of 15 guests. Must be at least six years old to participate. To book, visit the Guest Relations Desk once onboard. Availability is limited to one or two tours per sailing so book early.

The engine room and other mechanical spaces are noisy and dangerous, which is why I presume they are not part of the regular tour. While we were on Allure there was an excellent 30 minute video of those areas on the captain's log channel. You would miss it if you never turned on the TV, though.

Also the minimum temperature in the engine room is 105 F.

The engineering spaces are restricted spaces, and are off limits even to 90% of the crew. If you thought the stairways in the crew spaces were steep, the engine room ladders are even steeper, around 60%. With just a few exceptions, even the "quiet" spaces in engineering require some experience to decipher what someone is saying, a combination of experience and lip reading. And in the summer time, the engine rooms approach 130*F routinely. Usually, if you ask, they will rotate through the video cameras in the engine room to show the various spaces.

Thanks for the replies. Still kicking it around. I see they start around nine in the morning on the sea days. Okay for the people who just went on the allure, what did you get?

Thanks for the replies. Still kicking it around. I see they start around nine in the morning on the sea days. Okay for the people who just went on the allure, what did you get?

9:00 and 9:20 start times but it seems that both groups end up heading out at the same time after attendance is taken and introductory remarks from the guide.

They gave us a lanyard, some chocolate-dipped strawberries and a glass of champagne or mimosa. Tour of galleys, provision stowage, engine control room, laundry, crew mess, crew lounges, backstage at Amber theater, got to see the "weak link" in the anchor chain (for cutting the anchor free in an emergency), helipad, crew game room, and bridge, not necessarily in that order. About three hours of walking and climbing stairs, a few times we used the elevators. Laundry area was very warm.

The group tour guide was able to answer general questions, but at each stop there was a crew member (usually an officer) who explained things in more detail. The crew did a great job answering everyone's questions.

Keep your eyes open on Velocity. I heard we were on the US version last week.

As for fun and fast, I don't really speed. I just get to the posted limit quickly and in style. :D Mike on a side note, I finished the application for the new Fort GT. 1 in a million chance of getting allocation of one. The deal is done directly with Ford and circumvents the dealerships. Ford is handpicking who gets one of the 1000 made worlwide over 4 years. I also have a deposit on the new 2017 Shelby 350 GT R. Only 22 for Canada and expected to arrive in September.

Now back to the scheduled thread discussion.

Very cool Andrew! Hope it works out for you. If I'm not mistaken doesn't Lisa have a "one in, one out" rule in effect with the cars? (Let me know if you need to find a home for one ;)). I'll keep an eye out for the show.

Very cool Andrew! Hope it works out for you. If I'm not mistaken doesn't Lisa have a "one in, one out" rule in effect with the cars? (Let me know if you need to find a home for one ;)). I'll keep an eye out for the show.

The one in one out rule went out the window. Adding more garage took care of that.:p The new rule is "her car can't be outside for the winter". :D

Two dealers I know have also stated they would gladly have either on display in their showroom for the winter. I get free storage and they get free visual marketing but I prefer to keep them close to home so that's what will happen.

Thanks for the storage offer. :)

Edited by A&L_Ont

Yes, Bob but we also have I-95 in Florida. I got so confused when I moved here as we have I-95 (and others) along with "Florida's Turnpike", also going north / south. No tolls on the former, but tolls on the latter. Sun Pass!

Coming from New Jersey; I-95 is the "Turnpike". Here we have two. Of course Jersey also has the Garden State Parkway. All have tolls (it's Jersey after all). However, no commercial vehicles on the Parkway.

Used to it now.:D

I'm also from Jersey and enjoyed your comment about he Turnpike and Garden State Expressway and the tolls comment ! Gave me a good chuckle thank you !

What is a crew welfare program? I just talked to someone who works on Royal and he said the money went to Royal. As far as a retirement plan, they don't have one.

Can't speak for RCI specifically, but most of the lines have a welfare fund that provides holiday parties for the crew, subsidizes the crew store, buys new things for crew lounges like gaming systems, and contests for prizes like spa treatments, meals at specialty restaurants, and may even run to financial help for crew family problems.

Can't speak for RCI specifically, but most of the lines have a welfare fund that provides holiday parties for the crew, subsidizes the crew store, buys new things for crew lounges like gaming systems, and contests for prizes like spa treatments, meals at specialty restaurants, and may even run to financial help for crew family problems.

To further the Chief's comment, an example when we have been on Allure there is an all crew party at night every month to which everything is covered from food to booze. It was in the Solarirum late at night. My sports desk friends did not look good the next day.

Edit: another example, after Allure's dry dock but before they got to Barcelona, and took on guests, they had an all crew party this time in the RP. Turned it into a big disco and drinking event. From the photos it looked like a blast.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Going on Allure. I see it is $150 each. Checked Carnival's and their's is $55 to $95. Why is Royal's so expensive?

I think a number of reasons. The first was already said. People are willing to pay for it at that price. (I was).

Next they giver you "free stuff" that is included in the price at the end.

They let you sample some "free" food.

They give you a "free" drink in the staff bar.

Once you add up all the "free" stuff the price is less than $100.00

Now, back to people willing to pay for it blindly. These items really happened. One father, with little boy, showed up with the kid only wearing a pair of shorts and flipflops. Now all the instructions clearly said long pants and closed toe shoes. The Parent stated the kid did not have long pants on the ship, and he would be ok. Never saw them again, so I don't know if they got a refund. A women wearing sandals turned away also, claiming she did not have anything to wear. (she found something and came running back.) A third person complained the whole time that they did not know they would have to walk so far, and up and down steps etc. What did she think a behind the scenes tour was?

People will pay for just about anything and not even know what they are getting.

now, back to people willing to pay for it blindly. These items really happened. One father, with little boy, showed up with the kid only wearing a pair of shorts and flipflops. Now all the instructions clearly said long pants and closed toe shoes. The parent stated the kid did not have long pants on the ship, and he would be ok. Never saw them again, so i don't know if they got a refund. A women wearing sandals turned away also, claiming she did not have anything to wear. (she found something and came running back.) a third person complained the whole time that they did not know they would have to walk so far, and up and down steps etc. What did she think a behind the scenes tour was?

People will pay for just about anything and not even know what they are getting.

wow!!! Lol!!!!!

Yes, Bob but we also have I-95 in Florida. I got so confused when I moved here as we have I-95 (and others) along with "Florida's Turnpike", also going north / south. No tolls on the former, but tolls on the latter. Sun Pass!

Coming from New Jersey; I-95 is the "Turnpike". Here we have two. Of course Jersey also has the Garden State Parkway. All have tolls (it's Jersey after all). However, no commercial vehicles on the Parkway.

Used to it now.:D

Ah, gotta love NJ. I live and work in the area where 95N coming out of PA makes a big U turn and suddenly turns into 295S. Confuses the heck out of people! I'm sure in the days before GPS people were just told to "follow 95N up the East Coast" and ended up in a big circle.

I have a question about this, price aside. What section in "cruise planner" will the all access tour appear? Just curious. Also how far out from your cruise did it become available to book?

I have a question about this, price aside. What section in "cruise planner" will the all access tour appear? Just curious. Also how far out from your cruise did it become available to book?

In mine, it shows up under "Entertainment & Activities".

[QzUOTE=Gingee;49995982]Going on Allure. I see it is $150 each. Checked Carnival's and their's is $55 to $95. Why is Royal's so expensive?

We were recently on adventure and took the offered Gally tour which included a special lunch in giavani's for $50 each. Thought it was worth it, no wine supplied with lunch.

Edited by britty1