Why is Royal's behind the scenes so expensive?

Going on Allure. I see it is $150 each. Checked Carnival's and their's is $55 to $95. Why is Royal's so expensive?

Just did it on Allure. Kind of have some mixed opinions on it.

While it was still interesting is did seem lacking. To me it could have been more but wasn't.

Areas covered

Galley

Provisions Area

Engine Control Room

Laundry

Back stage of the theater

Three of the crew break rooms

Helipad

Walked thru the crew "Windjammer"

Bridge

Edited by chandom

Going on Allure. I see it is $150 each. Why is Royal's so expensive?

Done it on Allure. Asked the question during the tour. Were told that the money goes towards a welfare fund for the "lower workers".

In that case, we choose to believe that it was money well spent, and for once in a lifetime - the tour was very interesting.

Also don't understand why Royal makes you pay for the tour if you want to see the galley while Celebrity offers galley tours for free.

As Ken mentioned, because people continue to pay for it.

Also, once you reach Diamond Plus level, you get free tours of the bridge, galley, and backstage of the theater. Not sure if it has changed lately, but the theater tour used to start at Diamond. Some ships offer that to all.

I have done one on NCL and Carnival. I was going to reserve it on my upcoming anthem but it is $150. Do you get anything with that? On NCL I got pic in kitchen; on Carnival, we got pic on bridge with captain, a drawstring bag, and a baseball hat.

Can you take pictures? NCL allowed pics but carnival didn't, and checked for cameras and cell phones before starting the tour.

Edited by fligster

I have done one on NCL and Carnival. I was going to reserve it on my upcoming anthem but it is $150. Do you get anything with that? On NCL I got pic in kitchen; on Carnival, we got pic on bridge with captain, a drawstring bag, and a baseball hat.

Can you take pictures? NCL allowed pics but carnival didn't, and checked for cameras and cell phones before starting the tour.

Pictures but no video.

We received a straw beach bag and an apron on our tour 4 years ago on the Monarch, I don't think it's the same on all ships.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Pictures but no video.

We received a straw beach bag and an apron on our tour 4 years ago on the Monarch, I don't think it's the same on all ships.

We got some gifts when we did it on Oasis but ended up leaving some of them behind. We only took one suitcase each and could not fit them. We got a straw bag, coffee mug, umbrella, key chains and a few other items.

No pictures were allowed in the I-75 corridor for security reasons but they were allowed everywhere else.

Edited by A&L_Ont

We got some gifts when we did it on Oasis but ended up leaving some of them behind. We only took one suitcase each and could not fit them. We got a straw bag, coffee mug, umbrella, key chains and a few other items.

No pictures were allowed in the I-75 corridor for security reasons but they were allowed everywhere else.

Andrew, you probably take I-75 when you drive to Florida, but that corridor is called I-95 on the ship.

After years of driving to the port and taking everything but the kitchen sink I'm not sure how Vikki would cope being allowed only one bag per person.:eek:

The straw bags are long gone but the aprons are still hanging on their hook in the kitchen and get used occasionally.

It's been a long tine since we did the tour and it was on a very small ship so we will most likely do the tour on Harmony next March.

After years of driving to the port and taking everything but the kitchen sink I'm not sure how Vikki would cope being allowed only one bag per person.:eek:

The straw bags are long gone but the aprons are still hanging on their hook in the kitchen and get used occasionally.

It's been a long tine since we did the tour and it was on a very small ship so we will most likely do the tour on Harmony next March.

We had 1 bag each for two weeks and still managed to do no laundry while on the ship. There was lots to do when we got home though. :p

Also don't understand why Royal makes you pay for the tour if you want to see the galley while Celebrity offers galley tours for free.

RCI offers galley tours for free as well, but this tour is much more than a galley tour.

Going on Allure. I see it is $150 each. Checked Carnival's and their's is $55 to $95. Why is Royal's so expensive?

Besides the because People pay für it, I would like to add because you will be able to have a behind the Scenes look on a Royal ship instead of a Carnival ship.

Why is Carnivals so vastly differently priced?

And a last one, why is Princess charging $150 while Carnival is $55 to$95?

We were going to do it on Princess last cruise but it was cancelled. They give you a bunch of stuff with the tour. What I remember is : a premium bathrobe, a framed picture of you from the tour, personalized stationary.

They sell those robes for $95 on the ship so it seemed like a good deal.

My husband and 12 YO daughter really enjoyed it when they did it on Freedom a few years ago. She especially liked the big machines to fold sheets and the kitchen. $150 isn't much more than some of the excursions and I imagine the higher cost is to limit the amount of people traipsing through the working areas of the ship all week.

As Ken mentioned, because people continue to pay for it.

Also, once you reach Diamond Plus level, you get free tours of the bridge, galley, and backstage of the theater. Not sure if it has changed lately, but the theater tour used to start at Diamond. Some ships offer that to all.

Yes, I am Diamond and have done the backstage tour several times. They offered it to everyone on Oasis, but the Diamond tour was better, led by the stage manager (someone under him did the public tour). I am not Diamond+ and unlikely to get to it, so no galley or bridge tours for me.

Edited by MisterBill99

And I would imagine it would be a rather fun - and likely fast - trip, depending on which car you take.......;)

Keep your eyes open on Velocity. I heard we were on the US version last week.

As for fun and fast, I don't really speed. I just get to the posted limit quickly and in style. :D Mike on a side note, I finished the application for the new Fort GT. 1 in a million chance of getting allocation of one. The deal is done directly with Ford and circumvents the dealerships. Ford is handpicking who gets one of the 1000 made worlwide over 4 years. I also have a deposit on the new 2017 Shelby 350 GT R. Only 22 for Canada and expected to arrive in September.

Now back to the scheduled thread discussion.

Andrew, you probably take I-75 when you drive to Florida, but that corridor is called I-95 on the ship.

Yes, Bob but we also have I-95 in Florida. I got so confused when I moved here as we have I-95 (and others) along with "Florida's Turnpike", also going north / south. No tolls on the former, but tolls on the latter. Sun Pass!

Coming from New Jersey; I-95 is the "Turnpike". Here we have two. Of course Jersey also has the Garden State Parkway. All have tolls (it's Jersey after all). However, no commercial vehicles on the Parkway.

Used to it now.:D

Because people keep paying it.

I think that is an overly simplistic answer, no offense intended. I'm just about to start that day of my ongoing review. I did this tour on the last day. While I enjoyed it, and many have said its worth the price, they appeared to have cheapened it up making the value less. I'll come back after my review is done.

Edited by BillOh