Promoting poor etiquette?

It was only one guy causing this whole problem from what I read. They need to just give staff the ability to say you'll have to wait a little until we can clear out some of this line. End of problem. Also, those on that site are avid flowriders so there whole cruise is pretty much flowriding (which is cool), but seriously some people cruise just to flowride and that is mostly what they do all week. So they were obviously hyper sensitive to it (and I can understand why). This same guy monopolized his time on the flowrider when I was on recently but he wasn't star class that week so while not to the same degree, it can still happen somewhat either way.

Stop defending a stupid policy.

The priority hours should be outside of 'normal guest' hours. I think that is how it was originally intended.

The priority hours should be outside of 'normal guest' hours. I think that is how it was originally intended.

Stop telling what to think or do. I'm pretty sure when you own majority stake in RCI you can convince the board and management what every policy "should be" for the company but as far as telling my what to think that ain't gonna happen. And for the record I'm not defending anything. I'm pointing out my experience on a star class ship since the program started. I was on for a week on Allure and star class using the flowrider was a non issue during my week. These issues are always more complex than simple statements like it should be after hours. What would everyone say if it was open one less hour per day to service star class (which is what they would probably do if they did it the way you are suggesting)? Sure they could cut out one private session but I doubt they would. They can only run these machines for so many hours a day let alone the staff already work long hours. So to me the issue is only in how they implemented the priority line on that one week. There are many possible fixes for the problem that happened on that one week. Do we really stop the way they are rolling out a new program because of one bad apple? Maybe, but I doubt it. I never like the idea of rash decisions based on small sample sizes. That is my point in all of this. Perhaps we should let the evidence come in a little before making extreme judgements like "RCI is encouraging poor etiquette"? I see so much rude behavior on every cruise I take so no policy will eliminate these situations and many of them do impact more than just flowriding. Hence, the constant "chair hog" debates, etc. and these issues have nothing to do with star class vs. regular cabin passengers.

In the end maybe they do change it to after hours and if so good for whoever benefits but I doubt it will change much riding time for anyone. I could care less as I will be flowriding and I'm sure based on my experience it won't change much for me either way.

Regardless, you can tell people to do whatever you want but I'm not listening to someone telling others how they should think. I'll take a different approach.

Sorry but this policy is no more stupid than allowing experienced flow riders to ride for 3, 4, 5 minutes at a time during normal flow riding hours cause they don't fall as much as beginners. Last year on Indy there was no time limit and there were several experienced riders monopolizing the flow rider. Is that a stupid policy?

I just couldn't believe the poor etiquette displayed by those people that paid for this perk. The nerve of them.

How is this poor etiquette? You said yourself - they "paid for the perk". It was not bestowed upon them by the cruise line because they are better than you. No one said you couldn't have paid for the perk yourself. (As I type this, I'm realizing that there is a chance that you made your statement sarcastically - if that's the case ..... never mind what I said. :p )

Edited by ramja96

There were a few sticking up for the suite guests. The thing is the policy is not clear enough, but then again RC is known for clarity. ;) I guess it really should be "don't hate the player, hate the game".

;)

I guess I'd need to know if the policy is being implemented correctly before I actually formed an opinion on it...unlike a couple of others here. :rolleyes:

How is this poor etiquette? You said yourself - they "paid for the perk". It was not bestowed upon them by the cruise line because they are better than you. No one said you couldn't have paid for the perk yourself. (As I type this, I'm realizing that there is a chance that you made your statement sarcastically - if that's the case ..... never mind what I said. :p )

Sarcasm! I thought it was pretty obvious.

Seriously, how could anyone be accused of poor etiquette for using a perk they paid for? I personally could care less what type of cabin someone stays in. I've met many people in all categories of cabins and don't think much about their cabin either way. I don't get some of these comments from people suggesting that suite guests view others as "low lives" or "steerage" or whatever. Seems like they have huge inferiority complexes to come to that conclusion. I myself don't consider myself more or less important than anyone else or vice versa.

Cheers!

I agree. I know lots of people that sail in suites regularly because they like the room and some of the benefits and can afford it. They are certainly not feeling they are better than anyone else. They may expect the things they pay extra for, but that doesn't mean they are considering other people to be inferior.

That's just unfair. I actually have met more people that sail in inside cabins and think they are more special because of the loyalty program. At least the suite guests pay for their extra benefits.

Tom

Sarcasm! I thought it was pretty obvious.

Seriously, how could anyone be accused of poor etiquette for using a perk they paid for? I personally could care less what type of cabin someone stays in. I've met many people in all categories of cabins and don't think much about their cabin either way. I don't get some of these comments from people suggesting that suite guests view others as "low lives" or "steerage" or whatever. Seems like they have huge inferiority complexes to come to that conclusion. I myself don't consider myself more or less important than anyone else or vice versa.

Cheers!

Funny thing is I just came from there. I don't do FB due to my job, but I didn't realize that it was open for all to read. I have actually sailed with one of your members named Russ Lomas a couple times. I bet I've sailed with more and just don't know it.

All it takes is one "abuser" to ruin it for all, and that appears to be the case. The thing about flowriding is it is a small world on the ships. If you are a regular and good you will have ridden with others before and will again. If you are a jerk, like the one I read about, your comrades and community will see that you are only loyal to yourself and not to the gang. It is a shame.

I still say that they should do something for the suites, but write it in stone with no confusion. Have it during closed hours so it doesn't interfere with open riding. In all honesty I've stayed in suites for all but 2 of our cruises and I'd much rather wait in line with everyone than have the ability to cut the line. You meet the best people in line.

If RC wanted to make it better they could add another flowrider to the ship making it 3 on Oasis Class. That would make the lines better.:):D I'd also be looking at other cruise lines if they had waves. I love RC, but I love riding more.

You were the first person who came to mind when I read the policy as defined on the website. Seems like a huge perk to get extra sessions when you usually pay for them anyway.

I'm booked on Allure in October so I'll get to see myself if this is really an issue, but if I'm standing on the stairs at the back of the line looking at the mini-golf because Pezz is doing his tired routine for the 5th time since I last rode, I'll have to start thinking about spending more of my time and $$$ traveling to places with Flowriders rather than going on RCCL. I read the threads people start about leaving RCCL for MSC/Carnival/HAL/whatever, and I think that Royal can never get rid of me due to the Flowriders, but this would be a way.

Royals new Suite program has the possibility of creating some pretty unhappy cruisers. They have now introduced “priority lines” at signature activities and this has already caused some people to get really upset because it basically allows the priority guest(s) to monopolize an activity if they want to do so. While this won’t affect many who cruise it could have the possibility of ruining an experience for those who enjoy an activity onboard and are happy to wait their turn in line with the masses. If a guest that is not in a certain suite class has to wait in line for over 30 minutes and a priority guest gets to use the same activity 3 or 4 times while they wait it will create some very unpleasant people. I’m having a real problem trying to support a company that is basically promoting poor etiquette amongst cruisers. Hopefully I am not alone on this.

I agree! :rolleyes:

I don't get some of these comments from people suggesting that suite guests view others as "low lives" or "steerage" or whatever. Seems like they have huge inferiority complexes to come to that conclusion.

THIS! They brand themselves as steerage and then feel bad about it. LOL!!!

This has been a touchy subject for many people on here. My original intent was to hint at a situation that has happened and made a small but devoted community of flowrider cruisers very upset. I did not want to break any of the rules on this site and list where the information or very unhappy people were venting their frustration. It was brought to my attention by another cruiser and the information had not made its way to this forum yet. I can say without a doubt I felt regret for any who had to endure a cruise that they looked forward to and have it made less enjoyable because of something beyond their control. I also feel for the sports crew who are put in a situation that could lead to dealing with unhappy people.

For those of you who defend the suite perks I have no issues with that at all. You are spending money how you want to get enjoyment and rewards for your labours. Since you are spending a lot of money Royal should treat you well for doing so. With that being said there are many ways to make sure that those perks don’t have the possibility of making others vacation time less enjoyable. As long as a system is put forward that ensures that a benefit does not allow abuse and create a toxic atmosphere then it will work. The system currently put forth has the possibility of being abused and it has already been proven that it will happen. I am hoping that they can provide a solution that promotes what they originally intended for the suite class.

I enjoy the flowrider and have met many great people while waiting/encouraging others in line. I was pretty upset when I posted on here originally and to those who felt offended then I offer an apology. My original “poor etiquette” should have been directed to “flow etiquette”. I now have made a decision though that I will not plan a vacation on a ship where there is a possibility of abusing a system. I have written a letter stating how I felt to several at Royal Caribbean with no response so this issue must not be that important to them. Hopefully others do not have to endure a vacation where an abused policy detracts from your experiences.

Maybe someday when this is all resolved I’m hoping that I will be sharing the wave and good times with everyone again.

As an earlier poster said, I don't zip, flow or climb ...

But I hope that those of you who have experienced the Flow Hog expressed your displeasure to staff on site & at Guest Services & on your surveys ...

:cool:

Other than maybe the north star or Flow rider where it this "etiquette" issue.

Forgetting this class warfare 99% vs. 1% stuff, let's stay on point what is changing here? How is this new star class taking away from the others.

Priority seating, embarkation, disembarkation, nope that's the same. They get their own restaurant already there, didn't have it before not having it now. They get internet, drinks, speciality restaurants, so I can get that to for a fraction of the cost. still not seeing why I need to freak out here.

Let's call a spade a spade here, is the OP freaking over the flow rider. So we have this nightmare senario of a mythic evil 1%'er that gets on and on the flow rider while poor Timmy from steerage looks on and doesn't get a turn.

This just won't happen, and if did it would be extremely rare. Sure there are jerks in Suites, but there are Jerks in inside, oceanview and balconies too. I'm fairly certain the tons of people that cut the lines on my last cruise were not all suite guest.[/QUOT

Myself and my Family are cruising on the Allure of the Seas this August and really looking forward to the star class perks. We have only ever Cruised in the top Suites as we don't like mixing with the lower classes. Our last cruise was on the Caribbean Princess in the Grand Suite A750 ( I have uploaded the video of the suite onto youtube

) Having the suite perks is fantastic and it was nice to have such a large cabin in which we could have afternoon tea and our evening meal, however missed not having a butler.

It will be nice to jump all the queue's and spend as much time on the flowrider as we want as a family. We don't really much care for little Timmy and quite happy to wave to him each time we go round as we spend the next few hours hogging the flowrider to ourselves :D . It will also be nice to have all our meals in the speciality restaurants as we will not have to mix again with the lower classes in those awful dinning rooms. Having the all inclusive drink package will mean that I will be so drunk for the entire week that if I should happen to bump into the lower classes I should not remember it. But just in case I'm sober I can always have my Genie push everyone out of my way.

Have a nice day and looking forward to waving to you all from our Aquatheater Suite in August.

Forgetting this class warfare 99% vs. 1% stuff, let's stay on point what is changing here? How is this new star class taking away from the others.

Priority seating, embarkation, disembarkation, nope that's the same. They get their own restaurant already there, didn't have it before not having it now. They get internet, drinks, speciality restaurants, so I can get that to for a fraction of the cost. still not seeing why I need to freak out here.

Let's call a spade a spade here, is the OP freaking over the flow rider. So we have this nightmare senario of a mythic evil 1%'er that gets on and on the flow rider while poor Timmy from steerage looks on and doesn't get a turn.

This just won't happen, and if did it would be extremely rare. Sure there are jerks in Suites, but there are Jerks in inside, oceanview and balconies too. I'm fairly certain the tons of people that cut the lines on my last cruise were not all suite guest.[/QUOT

Myself and my Family are cruising on the Allure of the Seas this August and really looking forward to the star class perks. We have only ever Cruised in the top Suites as we don't like mixing with the lower classes. Our last cruise was on the Caribbean Princess in the Grand Suite A750 ( I have uploaded the video of the suite onto youtube

) Having the suite perks is fantastic and it was nice to have such a large cabin in which we could have afternoon tea and our evening meal, however missed not having a butler.

It will be nice to jump all the queue's and spend as much time on the flowrider as we want as a family. We don't really much care for little Timmy and quite happy to wave to him each time we go round as we spend the next few hours hogging the flowrider to ourselves :D . It will also be nice to have all our meals in the speciality restaurants as we will not have to mix again with the lower classes in those awful dinning rooms. Having the all inclusive drink package will mean that I will be so drunk for the entire week that if I should happen to bump into the lower classes I should not remember it. But just in case I'm sober I can always have my Genie push everyone out of my way.

Have a nice day and looking forward to waving to you all from our Aquatheater Suite in August.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Edited by reallyitsmema

:cool:

*** dining not dinning

I don't think this has anything to do with "class". It has to do with paying for more features.

I know many very wealthy people who sail in inside cabins because they don't care about the perks of a suite. I also know people who cruise less often and always go for suites because they love it.

Tom

Will the lifeboats be divided by class?

You know that suite guests (GS and above) have always had priority seating at shows? Line bypass for mtd?

Royal's new suite program does very little to change wait times for suite guests so I doubt the sense of entitlement will increase.

If you want those benefits then you can pay for them. It is no different than people who fly first class getting a more leg room / better service.

There will always be self-entitled clowns in each and every class.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I think the OP should actually read the "new perks of suite class"

As you have said. There have always been priority for "gold" sea pass memebers. Reserved seats, etc.

The new suite class.. especially the star class which has nothing to do with the ops post

1. free drinks

2. free internet

3. free specialty resteraunts

None of which should impact the masses at all

on labadee there is a suites beach so again, it has nothing to do with the masses....

as others have said. there is such a small amount of people in suites ( compared to other classes of cabins) besides. If you want to talk about rude people, I dont think the suite class has anything to do with it. Rude people are simply rude people. Inside cabin or suite...

I don't think this has anything to do with "class". It has to do with paying for more features.

I know many very wealthy people who sail in inside cabins because they don't care about the perks of a suite. I also know people who cruise less often and always go for suites because they love it.

Tom

Agreed, I've also known people to charge their cruise to a credit card. what???

They're not already??? :mad:

.............I do believe that the corresponding number(s) found on the bow of the life boat are lifeboats reserved for the suite numbers found on the ship.....all "others" are to use the inflatables found on the "poop" deck....I do love the free mini bars located on the lifeboats.....Cheers to all those in "steerage"...:cool: