Promoting poor etiquette?

This post WAS written about the flowrider. The lines on a busy day can be 45 min to an hour long for someone to get a 1 min turn. To let someone ride every 4th rider would give the priority rider 12 min of flow time to an average riders 1 min. Imagine if 3 or 4 suites used this perk on a sailing? The lines could be 2 plus hours... totally unacceptable. This will negatively effect many cruisers vacations. If I find this happening on a cruise I am on I will publicly voice my displeasure with said rider. I don't care how much you.pay for a suite. You are negatively effecting my vacation. Said.suite guest would not be very welcomed.after a few days of this. I see problems with this policy coming in very short order

If it's so important to you, book a suite then.

Or go somewhere with a flow rider that doesn't have similar rules.

Pretty simple really.

Oh if you voiced your displeasure at me or mine, you would wish you hadn't.

This post WAS written about the flowrider. The lines on a busy day can be 45 min to an hour long for someone to get a 1 min turn. To let someone ride every 4th rider would give the priority rider 12 min of flow time to an average riders 1 min. Imagine if 3 or 4 suites used this perk on a sailing? The lines could be 2 plus hours... totally unacceptable. This will negatively effect many cruisers vacations. If I find this happening on a cruise I am on I will publicly voice my displeasure with said rider. I don't care how much you.pay for a suite. You are negatively effecting my vacation. Said.suite guest would not be very welcomed.after a few days of this. I see problems with this policy coming in very short order

If I pay for the perks and use those perks it's between Royal Caribbean and I. No one had better say ANYTHING to me about it. If you do you will meet some very professional acting security personnel. It will be hard to enjoy the flowrider when you are confined to your cabin.

if i pay for the perks and use those perks it's between royal caribbean and i. No one had better say anything to me about it. If you do you will meet some very professional acting security personnel. It will be hard to enjoy the flowrider when you are confined to your cabin.

😃👍😃👍

What was that about promoting poor etiquette?

Really, the best option is to have additional hours for suite guests only. That would seem to be the intent/spirit of the perk; and not to create friction between guests during "normal" hours.

Yes, suite guests should get more perks. They pay for them. no, I will not likely ever be in a suite. That's okay. But it would rub me wrong if I stood in line and watched the same person continue to skip ahead of me. It wouldn't rub me wrong if there were hours blocked off for them that no one else had access to. JMO.

Lighten up Francis!

What was that about promoting poor etiquette?

Really, the best option is to have additional hours for suite guests only. That would seem to be the intent/spirit of the perk; and not to create friction between guests during "normal" hours.

Yes, suite guests should get more perks. They pay for them. no, I will not likely ever be in a suite. That's okay. But it would rub me wrong if I stood in line and watched the same person continue to skip ahead of me. It wouldn't rub me wrong if there were hours blocked off for them that no one else had access to. JMO.

People who pay five and six times more for their cabin shouldn't and wouldn't be confined to use their perks "outside" normal hours. The friction created is called jealousy and has a cure, pay for the perks you want.

Really, the best option is to have additional hours for non suite passengers. Why would any business ask their highest paid customers to not use their services during normal business hours, it's ludicrous.

People who pay five and six times more for their cabin shouldn't and wouldn't be confined to use their perks "outside" normal hours. The friction created is called jealousy and has a cure, pay for the perks you want.

Really, the best option is to have additional hours for non suite passengers. Why would any business ask their highest paid customers to not use their services during normal business hours, it's ludicrous.

But that is/was the plan according to published literature.

I think you may be misreading what I am saying. I am not saying suite guests should not be allowed during "normal times". I am saying suite guests should be given more block of time IN ADDITION to normal times, NOT instead of normal times. A suite guest can go to both if they like. I think that would alleviate some of the issue and probably give longer rides for the suite guests too.

Once again it seems we have an issue of RCI's making due to muddy marketing. If they are going to promote additional experiences for suite guests that is fine, they just have to find a way to reasonably implement it. I'm not jealous of people in suites that can afford to pay more and, rightfully so, expect more perks.

I think you may be misreading what I am saying. I am not saying suite guests should not be allowed during "normal times". I am saying suite guests should be given more block of time IN ADDITION to normal times, NOT instead of normal times. A suite guest can go to both if they like. I think that would alleviate some of the issue and probably give longer rides for the suite guests too.

Once again it seems we have an issue of RCI's making due to muddy marketing. If they are going to promote additional experiences for suite guests that is fine, they just have to find a way to reasonably implement it. I'm not jealous of people in suites that can afford to pay more and, rightfully so, expect more perks.

I did read it as suites not using normal hours and thus my response. Your clarification makes sense. What makes more sense is to lengthen the hours for everyone if there is such a demand for an activity. All the cruise lines are trying to give greater perks for their highest paying customers. Princess is instituting a new level of mini suite (a JR. Suite would be RCL equivalent) that would have a separate section in the MDR for anytime diners with no wait. The passengers in line waiting for a table will be complaining to be sure when they see club class mini suites and full suites waltz up to the door and get seated right away. It's the new wave of cruising to get more for paying more. It's about the same price to sail with azamara in a balcony as to sail with RCL in a suite so I would prefer azamara.

Royals new Suite program has the possibility of creating some pretty unhappy cruisers. They have now introduced “priority lines” at signature activities and this has already caused some people to get really upset because it basically allows the priority guest(s) to monopolize an activity if they want to do so. While this won’t affect many who cruise it could have the possibility of ruining an experience for those who enjoy an activity onboard and are happy to wait their turn in line with the masses. If a guest that is not in a certain suite class has to wait in line for over 30 minutes and a priority guest gets to use the same activity 3 or 4 times while they wait it will create some very unpleasant people. I’m having a real problem trying to support a company that is basically promoting poor etiquette amongst cruisers. Hopefully I am not alone on this.

You pay more, you get more.. It the way society now runs.. Suites, first class passengers, etc. You want to be treated as a rock star, it's going to cost you extra..

If I pay for the perks and use those perks it's between Royal Caribbean and I. No one had better say ANYTHING to me about it. If you do you will meet some very professional acting security personnel. It will be hard to enjoy the flowrider when you are confined to your cabin.

LOL RCI security will not do anything!

They will not even get kids out of the solarium hot tub even they eat their ice-cream in there....with their parents:rolleyes:

I think they should start charging for the Flowrider - get a pass for $20-30$ a day to use it....that would keep the lines short!

You pay more, you get more.. It the way society now runs.. Suites, first class passengers, etc. You want to be treated as a rock star, it's going to cost you extra..

I've paid rock star prices for years for cruising in now labelled Star Class cabins and flying in the front of the plane as well.

The cruise price is the same today as before and now I get to butt the line for the flowrider. You won't catch me doing it, as it goes against the spirit of flow of riding ethics. Those that will butt are either one and done, or if they ride continuously they are so self centred that they will never "get it". You meet the best people in line.

Royal has probably found out not a lot of Star class are using the flowrider so there is not a need to staff a particular time for that. We will be star class in August and we will not be be on the flowrider however in January we will be in the presidential family suite and I hope that we can schedule a private time for our group of 12.

I think with star class being so new there will be tweeks here and there. I don't think most people will be upset about a special line for star class because they are used to it with fast passes at Disney and such. You pay the price you get extra benefits.

But that is just my two cents. :eek:

I used the priority line at Guest Services for the first time on our last cruise even though it's been available in the past. What was even better was the priority line to customs in Port Canaveral. That was worth the price of the suite alone. I'm not sure where 'poor etiquette' fits into this discussion.

I was wondering the same thing....poor etiquette happens in many places around a ship and with many people that are not paying suite prices. It crosses all economic lines (no pun intended).

If I was paying 20,000 to sail in a suite, that others are paying 2,000 for, I would expect to get extra perks, although it will never be me. It's the same on airlines, when you pay for first class, you get extra.

You are absolutely right! I certainly don't begrudge anyone who has paid a premium for their suite. It doesn't bother me in the least that they are given priority for dining and seating at shows or other activities because they paid for it.:)

If you are willing to pay a lot of extra money to book a suite, I don't feel like it is "poor etiquette" to expect more. I think it is an intelligent assumption. Why would anyone pay all that extra for a suite if they weren't getting anything additional? If you want the perks, you gotta pay the price. You do have options and it is all up to you what is important to your vacation.

It is usually when your perk is at the expense of other people when folks get annoyed. Does it matter that someone has free cocktails in the diamond lounge? How does that affect me at all? Or that someone gets a robe in their room? How does that affect my cruise? How about free specialty restaurant visits? Or a tour of the ship deck? Or some sort of special invite only event? How do those affect my vacation?

Unless you read up on it, you probably wouldn't even know those things existed if you weren't part of them.

However, when someone gets to cut in an hour line multiple times -- that's starting to affect them and their cruise experience.

Sit in first class all you want but if a first class perk was being able to make a coach passenger take his luggage out of the compartment over his seat so you could carry on 3 extra bags -- that would annoy people.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the flowrider but if "VIP" passengers get to cut in front of me in the promenade and get the last Jive Turkey sandwich before me -- that will upset my cruise experience.

Edited by EntropyGuardian

RCL already has the perk for full suite guests where you don't wait for MTD. Actually that has been a perk for a while now.

That was one of the perks that we did take advantage of when we were in a GS last month. We always seemed to show up when there was a long line and we just showed our card and got seated within a few minutes time. BUT, we payed more for that suite than we ever did for a balcony! Makes sense to me.

BTW, I doubt we will be able to afford a suite again but it sure was nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

RCL already has the perk for full suite guests where you don't wait for MTD.

I never get a suite and I've always had that perk of not waiting for MTD ....... it's called the Windjammer. :D

Edited by ramja96

It is usually when your perk is at the expense of other people when folks get annoyed. Does it matter that someone has free cocktails in the diamond lounge? How does that affect me at all? Or that someone gets a robe in their room? How does that affect my cruise? How about free specialty restaurant visits? Or a tour of the ship deck? Or some sort of special invite only event? How do those affect my vacation?

Unless you read up on it, you probably wouldn't even know those things existed if you weren't part of them.

However, when someone gets to cut in an hour line multiple times -- that's starting to affect them and their cruise experience.

Sit in first class all you want but if a first class perk was being able to make a coach passenger take his luggage out of the compartment over his seat so you could carry on 3 extra bags -- that would annoy people.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the flowrider but if "VIP" passengers get to cut in front of me in the promenade and get the last Jive Turkey sandwich before me -- that will upset my cruise experience.

Excellent point. You really clarified the problem with some of the perks to suite passengers--they are a problem when they interfere with other passengers' enjoyment of their cruise. Otherwise, they are fine.

(This point also helps explain the use of the term "poor etiquette," which made no sense to me in the context of suite perks. Skipping to the front of a line is generally poor etiquette, even if you paid for the right to be rude.)

Oh no. I will be put in cruise jail for exercising my right to free speech. I didn't say I would beat the person with a crowbar! If I could afford a suite I would stay in one

I wouldn't however be a pig about abusing perks that would negatively effect someone else's vacation. For those of you on here who obviously would...

Oh no. I will be put in cruise jail for exercising my right to free speech. I didn't say I would beat the person with a crowbar! If I could afford a suite I would stay in one

I wouldn't however be a pig about abusing perks that would negatively effect someone else's vacation. For those of you on here who obviously would...

I get what you were saying, and I agree to an extent. They shouldn't let one person, or a small group, repeatedly get priority access to a feature like the Flowrider, at the expense of everyone else. I'm just not convinced that is likely to happen. If it does, I think it's fair for people to complain to RCI about it. But a lot of this thread has just been worries that this could potentially happen. I think the company is smart enough to not let it happen in most cases.

By the way, many of the suite perks already negatively impact other people, but they do so in very minor ways. Priority tendering means somebody else doesn't get on that tender and has to wait for the next one. Reserved theater seats mean that someone else who might want to sit there doesn't get to. These are all minor enough to mostly not even be noticed by the other passengers. The same could be true of priority on the Flowrider, if it's managed properly, and they don't allow someone to abuse that perk.

I get what you were saying, and I agree to an extent. They shouldn't let one person, or a small group, repeatedly get priority access to a feature like the Flowrider, at the expense of everyone else. I'm just not convinced that is likely to happen. If it does, I think it's fair for people to complain to RCI about it. But a lot of this thread has just been worries that this could potentially happen. I think the company is smart enough to not let it happen in most cases.

By the way, many of the suite perks already negatively impact other people, but they do so in very minor ways. Priority tendering means somebody else doesn't get on that tender and has to wait for the next one. Reserved theater seats mean that someone else who might want to sit there doesn't get to. These are all minor enough to mostly not even be noticed by the other passengers. The same could be true of priority on the Flowrider, if it's managed properly, and they don't allow someone to abuse that perk.

The really 'poor etiquette' happens when the cruisers start yelling at each other.....and it doesn't take much for some cruisers to do that, either.

As promised, I am here to report back live from the Sky Loft on Allure.... after several days of enjoying the balcony with a clear view of both flow riders, I can tell you that this is such a non issue that it is ridiculous. In all the hours that I've been on the balcony there has not been one single person in the VIP Suite line to gain access to the flow rider.

The regular line has had a maximum of 15 people waiting and their turns come quickly... on a side note it is rather entertaining to watch some of the wipeouts...

Most of the participants are down and out in less than 45 seconds and then the more experienced can have several minutes until they wipe out. I watched on girl ride for nearly 10 minutes before she wiped out and got back in line.

So... is it fair for one experienced rider to have 10 minutes at a go and someone not experienced to get 30 seconds? Would it be more fair for that short rider to get back on and ride again until he has had several minutes of time?

And again on a separate note... so far we have been met at the door of various events and shows by our Genie and walked past everyone waiting in line to be provided with a best seat available. In addition to many other benefits we've experienced which based on what I read here would be considered "affecting" someone else's cruise experience. We paid for this experience and the only reason I am on this cruise is because it was available. I was willing to shell out more $$$bucks for the privilege.

No disrespect to anyone else - but you get what you pay for.