Tip-Clean the drawers in the cabin

Well do not take a BlackLight and look for stains, some people may be really grossed out.:eek::D

Actually, we do carry a blacklight and I am always amazed the cabins and bathrooms are as clean as they are. Most of what shows up is soap residue not anything icky/disgusting on toilet/walls/ceiling/doorknobs, etc. Even the remote is much cleaner than I expect.

I have to admit, I've never checked the drawers--I'll add that to my list :)

ML

I am excited to go on oasis of the seas again in June. To keep that momentum up I've been watching videos of people on the cruise or that have cruised. Some of these are room tours. I just watched one and the passengers were opening the desk drawers to show the space then they opened a few and nonchalantly said "this is where I keep my dirty underwear and dirty socks"

I'm not a squeamish person at all nor a clean freak but I found that to be a total gross out. I honestly never thought of wiping the desk drawers down before i used them and I've taken umpteen cruises but after seeing this person's video, I will not be using these drawers without cleaning them myself with wipes or something. I don't know why someone would use the desk drawers for their dirty undergarments. :confused:

We bring a small laundry bag.

Looks like I'm not alone...

I pack garbage bags for dirty clothes and put them in the suitcase under the bed. And I always pack Clorox wipes and clean the room, drawer/door handles, phone, remote, toilet, sink, balcony rails, etc... Not to mention I wipe down my airplane seat too. I have no idea who sat their stinky butt and dirty hair in the seat before me! I don't want to get sick on my vacation! :D

I am never sick. My kids are never sick. Why? Because we do NOT run around disinfecting everything. Never have, never will.

Holy carp, people, you are NUTS!

Amen!

The reason we have problems with super bugs and viruses is because of these obsessions. The way our bodies learn to defeat germs is because of exposure to germs.

Edited by MattInFLL

I have never and will never get on a ship armed with a bunch of cleaning products to wipe everything down. I trust that things have been cleaned appropriately, and if I see something that needs attention I bring it to my cabin steward's attention. I'm also not a fan of incessant hand-sanitizer use. I prefer soap and water, and only use sanitizer when I have to...on a ship, in port when I don't have a better option, and in a stadium parking lot at a tail-gate party!

I spent 30 years working in public schools surrounded by almost every germ imaginable. I guess I got any germophobic tendencies out of my system during my career!:D

I had no idea people went to those lengths to attempt to sanitize their cabin. I'm happily unpacked and out enjoying the ship while everyone's cleaning!:rolleyes:

Question for those of you who sanitize everything...do you do that in hotels too? Do you clean before you use a public restroom? I'm not trying to be rude...I just had no idea so many people did this!

And I bet you rarely get sick these days too. The problem with over-sanitizing and use of anti-bacterials constantly (especially if your parents started you when you're a kid) is that you never build up a resistance to anything. The non sanitizing person can walk into a room full of germs and walk out with no problem. The person who is continually using anti-bacterials and such will walk into that same room and probably be sick a few days later. You think you are keeping yourself well, but you're NOT going to get them all, and by not letting your body do it's thing and build up those resistances you are setting yourself up to get sick.

Don't get me wrong. Is the dirty underwear in the drawers a little gross? Sure. :eek: Am I going to go overboard to sanitize my room because of it? Nope.

And no, I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV lol.

I am never sick. My kids are never sick. Why? Because we do NOT run around disinfecting everything. Never have, never will.

Gave me a good laugh. :D

Thanks for all the feedback on my post and people sharing great ideas! I typically bring garbage bags myself for our dirty clothes and sometimes we get laundry service on a 7 days.

Anyway, Again, I'm not a clean freak. I've never used a hand sanitizer before or "wipes" before on anything and am usually with the, "you should let your child eat dirt" to build up resistance group. But, the video I saw on youtube where the dirty clothes were in the desk drawer gave me the heeby jeezys. The man doing is cabin tour was very casual "my dirty clothes drawer" and his skidmark (I imagine) briefs there. Pillows and sheets don't bother me because I know they've been washed in bleach and hot water. Even sitting at a restaurant that needs wiping down doesn't bother me. But the underwear that was touching your "naughty bits" now just pressed against the drawer bottom and sides was gross. This is nothing the steward would see to wipe down, lol. Think I'll just buy a small travel pack of wipes.......:)

Shower curtain problem solved. I always bring button magnets with me to hang things including the daily compass and invitations on the wall out of the way. On our last cruise I put a few along the edge of one side of the curtain and added some to the other side when we would get in to take a shower. Worked great!!!! They are available at the $ store in various sizes. Love my magnets!

Good idea! The clothes pin thing never worked for me. Will try that! I always carry

lots of door magnets, mostly fish, and will put one fish out on our cabin door for each

day of the cruise. Will try some on the shower curtain next cruise.

Thanks! :)

I have wipes during all my trips and will do a quick wipe down, but nothing too crazy. I really only use the closet to store my clothes ... sometimes I'm scared to open the drawers! :D

So, no one has ever stored dirty laundry on the shelves in the closet either?:eek:

Lol my mom used to carry Lysol with her all the time and clean out the drawers prior to using them and I used to laugh at her... Now I do that and my kids laugh

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That is so disgusting, I wonder if it was a joke. But in case it's not, I NEVER put my clothes or anything else in any drawer. I pack in space bags and just keep everything that's not hung up in them until I use. Then dirty clothes go in a shopping bag to go home.

I once read a gross statement about ice bins which I won't post, and I wonder if that the reason you need to request ice now. Buckets aren't routinely left in cabins.

No, that was to save time (for the cabin steward) and money (for RCI, who assign more staterooms to each steward).

Thank you. I am almost never sick, either. I disinfect from within with wine and that seems to do the trick.:D

I always bring Lysol wipes and wipe down things like the phone & the remote-anything I think might be especially grody. Now I feel like I need to wipe down everything. People are so gross!!!

People are gross. Just think of the people/kids that pick their boogers or the people that don't wash their hands after the bathroom and then go to the buffet? You can only do so much. The dirty underwear in the drawers is gross. I hardly have enough space for my clean clothes as it is. We just use a bag for dirty laundry and toss it on the floor in the closet.

As for wiping things down we do it some. Mike is in a South American hotel almost every week so he has gotten in the habit of wiping down some things so he usually does it on the ships too. Mostly the remote control and some counters. He doesn't go crazy with it, because where would it stop? There are germs everywhere and that will never change. The dirty laundry drawer might make me have second thoughts, but hopefully I will forget about it before our next cruise. :D

Just think about what goes on in the back of the movie theaters. Not talking about on ships, but it could also happen there I guess. God only knows what you might be sitting in! :eek:

Edited by ReneeFLL

Yep the room steward has caught me cleaning.... I have found a wet washcloth in the shower. Wonder if they even wipe the showers down. So yes I pack a small pack of Lysol wipes and wipes all surfaces and drawers out. Makes me feel better. Sometimes the desk area is really drungy. After it dries we unpack. DH does the bathroom and I do the rest. Takes 10 minutes maybe. Then wrap the remote in a wipe and let it sit there awhile. I clean the remote in hotels too.

Gross that someone would put dirty clothes in the drawers but I am sure some do that and worse.

You can put your remote in a ziplock bag and it will work and you never have to touch it :)

I used to be in the "dirt is good for you!" camp until DH got noro and missed the last half of our AK cruise.

Cruise ships are small, enclosed, heavily populated environments. The 10 minutes I spend giving the room a once-over with peroxide wipes seems more than worth it to lessen the odds of spending another 4 days of paying thousands of dollars for house-arrest with a view. :rolleyes:

I used to be in the "dirt is good for you!" camp until DH got noro and missed the last half of our AK cruise.

Cruise ships are small, enclosed, heavily populated environments. The 10 minutes I spend giving the room a once-over with peroxide wipes seems more than worth it to lessen the odds of spending another 4 days of paying thousands of dollars for house-arrest with a view. :rolleyes:

I agree :)

We bring a laundry bag that we keep all of our dirty clothes in. I also bring lysol wipes, lysol spray, and fabreze spray....and wipe down and disinfect every surface, drawer, wall, and freshen the entire room as soon as we have access to the room.

I do the same thing.

Repeat every 2 days and luckily haven't been ill

Diane

So you're on a ship for 7 days with 3000 people who potentially put their dirty underwear and socks in a drawer and you somehow think wiping down your room with Lysol will help you remain germ free?

Just sayin...... :)

Relax, enjoy, your on a cruise

I always pack a Hazmat suit and then slip the guy that washes the balconies a $20 bill so I can borrow his hose for 10 minutes and spray the entire cabin. Easy peasy.

Just watch out for the splash back when you do the toilet. :eek: