Tip-Clean the drawers in the cabin

I am excited to go on oasis of the seas again in June. To keep that momentum up I've been watching videos of people on the cruise or that have cruised. Some of these are room tours. I just watched one and the passengers were opening the desk drawers to show the space then they opened a few and nonchalantly said "this is where I keep my dirty underwear and dirty socks"

I'm not a squeamish person at all nor a clean freak but I found that to be a total gross out. I honestly never thought of wiping the desk drawers down before i used them and I've taken umpteen cruises but after seeing this person's video, I will not be using these drawers without cleaning them myself with wipes or something. I don't know why someone would use the desk drawers for their dirty undergarments. :confused:

I guess I should totally mention I keep my dirty underwear on top of the coffee maker. I like Starbucks and coffee from the SL. And just in case, I am joking. :p

We actually bring plastic garbage bags from home and keep them in the cupboard on the floor for laundry.

Edited by A&L_Ont

We bring an IKEA bag, stays upright and open. Then we just use one suitcase as designated laundry holder for the way home. I think I'll add a wipe down I'd the drawers to my "cabin set up" list now... 😨

It's actually the housekeepers responsibility to wipe out the drawers on checkout cleaning day, with a rag moistened with an all-purpose cleaning solution. If you find clothing, debris or hair that means they skipped a step.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We bring a laundry bag that we keep all of our dirty clothes in. I also bring lysol wipes, lysol spray, and fabreze spray....and wipe down and disinfect every surface, drawer, wall, and freshen the entire room as soon as we have access to the room.

I just watched one and the passengers were opening the desk drawers to show the space then they opened a few and nonchalantly said "this is where I keep my dirty underwear and dirty socks"

I will not be using these drawers without cleaning them myself with wipes . :confused:

I saw this on another packing thread, and was grossed out as well. The recommendation was Bounty paper towels infused with Dawn detergent. I got some and have used them to wipe down the cabin drawers and shelves since them.

I'm not a germophobe, but this does cut down on my mental gross-out factor.

I also read a DIY post about dripping dish detergent on a paper towel and letting it dry - it seems like it would work just as well as the Dawn infused ones.

That is so disgusting, I wonder if it was a joke. But in case it's not, I NEVER put my clothes or anything else in any drawer. I pack in space bags and just keep everything that's not hung up in them until I use. Then dirty clothes go in a shopping bag to go home.

I once read a gross statement about ice bins which I won't post, and I wonder if that the reason you need to request ice now. Buckets aren't routinely left in cabins.

Okay, full disclosure - I am a clean freak.

The first thing I do when I enter the cabin for the first time is get a flannel and wash out the drawers and remote control.

I have no clue if they are washed every cruise, but I put the bed runner and display cushions out of the way in the wardrobe.

I am self aware though, and my wife thinks I'm nuts :o

On our last cruise I found a dirty wash rag hanging from the shower rod over the

shower curtain upon check in to our cabin. :(

Now....about those shower curtains.....worst yuck ever, and the darn things

just love to "reach out and touch you" when you are showering. :eek:

Edited by island lady

It's actually the housekeepers responsibility to wipe out the drawers on checkout cleaning day, with a rag moistened with an all-purpose cleaning solution. If you find clothing, debris or hair that means they skipped a step.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Somehow I doubt that happens often.

It never, ever occurred to me that someone would put dirty socks or undies in the drawer. Gross!! I always bring disinfectant wipes for the remote, door handles, etc. but will be using them to wipe down the drawers as well from now on.

I pack my swim suits, socks, unmentionables and any small items in 2.5 gallon zip lock bags. Then, when I unpack, I just put the bag in the drawer to keep things nice and clean. I also bring one of those small hampers (like this: http://www.amazon.com/Pop-Up-Clothes-Laundry-Collapsible-Hampers/dp/B00CNF1IO2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1463766482&sr=8-3&keywords=mesh+travel+hamper). They also have these at most Dollar stores. We keep it in the closet, or in a corner of the room. Helps to keep things nice and tidy.

Edited by debshomespun

On our last cruise I found a dirty wash rag hanging from the shower rod over the

shower curtain upon check in to our cabin. :(

Now....about those shower curtains.....worst yuck ever, and the darn things

just love to "reach out and touch you" when you are showering. :eek:

Shower curtain problem solved. I always bring button magnets with me to hang things including the daily compass and invitations on the wall out of the way. On our last cruise I put a few along the edge of one side of the curtain and added some to the other side when we would get in to take a shower. Worked great!!!! They are available at the $ store in various sizes. Love my magnets!

We bring a laundry bag that we keep all of our dirty clothes in. I also bring lysol wipes, lysol spray, and fabreze spray....and wipe down and disinfect every surface, drawer, wall, and freshen the entire room as soon as we have access to the room.

We have seen reports of germ issues with TV remote. Always wipe it down.

Somehow I doubt that happens often.

More often than you would believe. I have on occasion called guest services and had room attendant sent to room to clean, as should have been done. Found food in closet on a TA on NCL Jewel.