Freedom Of Seas Sleeping Arrangements & Shows

Hello Fellow Cruise Critics,

I booked a cruise more than a year ago and we are about to embark on the Freedom of the Seas shortly. I booked room 6648 as I was told that it had a bit more room for our family of 4. However, the bed arrangements are likely not going to work for us since my almost 12 year old has sprouted 5 inches since I booked it. She is now 5'5 and 130lbs. She was to share the couch bed with my 9 year old who is 4'8 and 89 lbs. After just seeing a picture of the couch bed, I don't see how it is possible? I called RC to see if they had any suggestions or other options for us. The lady said that the ship is sold out and we have no options. She was very rude and not helpful at all. While I was most excited about our upcoming cruise, I am now discouraged by what we will be dealing with between our room and the treatment we received by customer service. Does anyone have any suggestions or know how big this room is? Should we and can we bring a blow up twin mattress? They will not allow an extra cot/roll away bed in the room and I am wondering if it's because there simply isn't room? Please help if you can?

Also, has anyone recently been on FOS to tell me what show/s are currently on the ship so I have an idea? PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

When you get aboard, go to Guest Services and see if any cabins are available. Checkout

your cabin first to see if it's workable. If nothing available, the kids will have to work it

out. Lastly, enjoy your cruise!

Really nothing you can do now if the ship is sold out. Two adults have been able to sleep in the sofabed, your two small girls should be able to deal with it. The cabin steward can get you an extra blanket to separate the space but there really isn't anything else you can do. As far as an air mattress, that cabin is only 184 sq ft, including the bathroom, there really won't be any extra floor space one the sofabed is opened.

Its not really RC fault that its sold out and you booked one room for 4 people. We booked our cruise in 2 weeks, 8 months ago and booked adjoining rooms for my wife and I and my mother and 5 ft 9 year old daughter

The ship is sold out - what did you really expect them to do? How helpful could they possibly be? Maybe there will be a no show in a larger cabin but, of course, you would be paying the price of that cabin to switch.

Looks like you have a deluxe balcony. The sofabed is really awful. We had it when our kids were 6 and 3 - while they fit. It's very uncomfortable. There's no mattress - it's just a couch that lays down and bedding is put on it. Ever since we have booked two promenade rooms. It's usually cheaper than one balcony room and everyone has own beds. Plus extra bathroom. What I would suggest is taking a sleeping bag. If you fly southwest, no charge for luggage so jam it in! There is absolutely no space for an inflatable mattress. I'd put the younger one on the floor - or trade nights. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Looks like you have a deluxe balcony. The sofabed is really awful. We had it when our kids were 6 and 3 - while they fit. It's very uncomfortable. There's no mattress - it's just a couch that lays down and bedding is put on it. Ever since we have booked two promenade rooms. It's usually cheaper than one balcony room and everyone has own beds. Plus extra bathroom. What I would suggest is taking a sleeping bag. If you fly southwest, no charge for luggage so jam it in! There is absolutely no space for an inflatable mattress. I'd put the younger one on the floor - or trade nights. :)

Thank you for your honest opinion. I wish I had known about this room. I may have done exactly what you said. I'm so bummed the ship is sold out, or I would have tried that. I'm hoping we enjoy the vacation regardless since it has been planned for 15 months already.

What about blow up camping pad? It's like a mini air matress. I have a travel memory foam I take with me. Maybe something like that would make the couch more comfortable. We always fet a cabin with a pullman bed for out granddaughter. Regarding shows. We had 3 different comdedian shows. Only saw 2. They were both really good. Thrn Drew Thomas Magician. Shows were once upon a time and marquee ( i think that were the names). We had some great singers. We missed the ice show but saw it before. 70's party started of slow but was great. Kid loved the kids club! Try Not to stress over it and let it ruin your pre-cruise excitement. It is what it is. One thing my mom told me long time ago and it has helped me a lot is "don't worry about what could happen, you will have plenty of time to worry if it does". I used to always stress over what could go wrong and then everything ended up being fine, and I wasted all this time worrying !

What about blow up camping pad? It's like a mini air matress. I have a travel memory foam I take with me. Maybe something like that would make the couch more comfortable. We always fet a cabin with a pullman bed for out granddaughter. Regarding shows. We had 3 different comdedian shows. Only saw 2. They were both really good. Thrn Drew Thomas Magician. Shows were once upon a time and marquee ( i think that were the names). We had some great singers. We missed the ice show but saw it before. 70's party started of slow but was great. Kid loved the kids club! Try Not to stress over it and let it ruin your pre-cruise excitement. It is what it is. One thing my mom told me long time ago and it has helped me a lot is "don't worry about what could happen, you will have plenty of time to worry if it does". I used to always stress over what could go wrong and then everything ended up being fine, and I wasted all this time worrying !

Thank you for the information on the shows. Also, thank you for the recommendation of the camping pad, that's a great idea. You are right, we just need to enjoy the trip. I think because my hubby wasn't really wanting to cruise and I talked him into it, I am concerned that the girls won't sleep well and it will make for miserable kiddos. Hoping it all works out. I know we will make great memories. Thanks again :)

They will be so tired of having fun they will fall right to sleep. And my granddaughter who is 6 but tall crawled in our bed several night and we were fine sleeping together.

A few tips to make your trip easier..bring an over the door organizer to hang on the outside of the bathroom. I keep all kind of stuff in there, from hair bows to brushes, sunblocks, bug spray, qtips, lotions, etc. it keeps the room more organized, definitely with 4 people. Also bring one of those mesh pop-up hampers. We put it in the corner for dirty laundry. In our dollar store you can buy big clips in a six pack (like big clothes pins). Get those so you can hang your bathing suits to dry on the balcony. Lastly, new mattresses are hard. I contacted the special needs department by email to request a bed pad and had a nice memory foam topper on our bed. Don't overpack'Enjoy your vacation. Let me know jf you have any additional questions just let me know

I would not worry about sleeping arrangements, we brought our teenagers along and did not have any problems. Where you are going to have trouble is four people using one bath room for a week.

I think that this is all about attitude and perception. Two adult size people sharing a full size bed is totally feasible - there is no reason your children totaling 210lbs total can't do it! You need to go in with the attitude that this is how it's going to be and make the most of it - and the kids needs to do the same! I tell my kids if they want to cruise again - they best not complain about Mommys choices - Daddy will do that enough!

The eggcrate topper request seems like a good one to make though!

Four in a room does have other challenges though besides the sofa bed sharing (which was not a problem for my kids - smaller than yours but I can't see this ever being an issue in or house)...the clutter management challenge is where I would focus your energy to ensure a great cruise!

The door organizer and clips is a good first step. We also bring large sticky notes and some good magnetic clips and pop up hampers and containers that we can use to hold things on the counters.

Have a great time!! Enjoy the whole ship!

Free big showers in the locker rooms by the gym (or was it spa?) so some can go shower there. Oh yes, we also bring magnet hooks. Helps with hanging badges, papers etc. walls are metal so magnet stick to wall. I like the idea of the smaller pop up baskets. I might look for some for next cruise. One for each person. I think I also read that if your suitcases don't fit under the bed room steward can have them stored for you..enjoy your trip! And report back if you don't mind

Hello Fellow Cruise Critics,

I booked a cruise more than a year ago and we are about to embark on the Freedom of the Seas shortly. I booked room 6648 as I was told that it had a bit more room for our family of 4. However, the bed arrangements are likely not going to work for us since my almost 12 year old has sprouted 5 inches since I booked it. She is now 5'5 and 130lbs. She was to share the couch bed with my 9 year old who is 4'8 and 89 lbs. After just seeing a picture of the couch bed, I don't see how it is possible? I called RC to see if they had any suggestions or other options for us. The lady said that the ship is sold out and we have no options. She was very rude and not helpful at all. While I was most excited about our upcoming cruise, I am now discouraged by what we will be dealing with between our room and the treatment we received by customer service. Does anyone have any suggestions or know how big this room is? Should we and can we bring a blow up twin mattress? They will not allow an extra cot/roll away bed in the room and I am wondering if it's because there simply isn't room? Please help if you can?

Also, has anyone recently been on FOS to tell me what show/s are currently on the ship so I have an idea? PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

I don't know why you are worried. Adults sleep on that bed. What's to worry about 2 kids?

I would not worry about sleeping arrangements, we brought our teenagers along and did not have any problems. Where you are going to have trouble is four people using one bath room for a week.

Agree with this. You'll be fine.

I think the kids will be fine. I personally don't find the sofa bed hard, but I like a firm mattress. Go in with a positive attitude or the kids will go in with a bad attitude and you'll start off on the wrong foot.

I know there are always naysayers for the 4 in a room, but we've always been fine with it and found plenty of room. You just need to keep organized and as someone else said keep clutter to a minimum. We put suitcases under the bed and keep a bag in the closet for laundry.

A suggestion for next time, instead of the sofa bed, get a room with the 2 Pullmans or the sofa bed/Pullman combo. Once my boys got to a certain age, they didn't want to share a bed.

They will be so tired of having fun they will fall right to sleep. And my granddaughter who is 6 but tall crawled in our bed several night and we were fine sleeping together.

A few tips to make your trip easier..bring an over the door organizer to hang on the outside of the bathroom. I keep all kind of stuff in there, from hair bows to brushes, sunblocks, bug spray, qtips, lotions, etc. it keeps the room more organized, definitely with 4 people. Also bring one of those mesh pop-up hampers. We put it in the corner for dirty laundry. In our dollar store you can buy big clips in a six pack (like big clothes pins). Get those so you can hang your bathing suits to dry on the balcony. Lastly, new mattresses are hard. I contacted the special needs department by email to request a bed pad and had a nice memory foam topper on our bed. Don't overpack'Enjoy your vacation. Let me know jf you have any additional questions just let me know

Thanks Nicky for everything. I am going to go out today and buy a pop up laundry hamper and over the door organizer, as well as the clips. I think those are all great ideas. Thanks again:)

I think that this is all about attitude and perception. Two adult size people sharing a full size bed is totally feasible - there is no reason your children totaling 210lbs total can't do it! You need to go in with the attitude that this is how it's going to be and make the most of it - and the kids needs to do the same! I tell my kids if they want to cruise again - they best not complain about Mommys choices - Daddy will do that enough!

The eggcrate topper request seems like a good one to make though!

Four in a room does have other challenges though besides the sofa bed sharing (which was not a problem for my kids - smaller than yours but I can't see this ever being an issue in or house)...the clutter management challenge is where I would focus your energy to ensure a great cruise!

The door organizer and clips is a good first step. We also bring large sticky notes and some good magnetic clips and pop up hampers and containers that we can use to hold things on the counters.

Have a great time!! Enjoy the whole ship!

Thank you for the thoughts and suggestions. We cruised 3 years ago on Disney Dream and the girls had the pull down bunks, which worked great. I thought this room was a sofa bed with the pull down bunk again. That is why I was upset when I found out that it was not. I'm not sure if people realize how big the couch bed truly is. I found a picture of it yesterday which is when I grew concerned. We will make the best of the situation and make great family memories, just disappointing when you spend $4K on a vacation and not everyone will sleep comfortably. Thanks again:)

686991791_Screenshot(1).jpg.253c10abb6e0eeba403f7c98d8d05a3b.jpg

Free big showers in the locker rooms by the gym (or was it spa?) so some can go shower there. Oh yes, we also bring magnet hooks. Helps with hanging badges, papers etc. walls are metal so magnet stick to wall. I like the idea of the smaller pop up baskets. I might look for some for next cruise. One for each person. I think I also read that if your suitcases don't fit under the bed room steward can have them stored for you..enjoy your trip! And report back if you don't mind

More great ideas Nicky!!! Thanks so much. Guess I'll be adding magnets and magnetic hooks to my list. I'll see about baskets as well. Thanks for the info about the extra showers. That may work out well for my husband to do. I'll try to get back on upon our return and let you know how it goes. Thanks again!:)

Also - your room steward will take and store suitcases for the week so they're out of your way. They'll take the glass coffee table, too, if you want more space to move around. Walls are magnetic, so get some magnetic clips to hang up the cruise compass - newsletters about what's going on each day. They kids will get their own from kids club. On the wall makes it much easier to see!

I think the kids will be fine. I personally don't find the sofa bed hard, but I like a firm mattress. Go in with a positive attitude or the kids will go in with a bad attitude and you'll start off on the wrong foot.

I know there are always naysayers for the 4 in a room, but we've always been fine with it and found plenty of room. You just need to keep organized and as someone else said keep clutter to a minimum. We put suitcases under the bed and keep a bag in the closet for laundry.

A suggestion for next time, instead of the sofa bed, get a room with the 2 Pullmans or the sofa bed/Pullman combo. Once my boys got to a certain age, they didn't want to share a bed.

Thank you for the suggestions. I thought that we had a room with a sofa bed and Pullman which is why I booked this room. I was told by my TA that this would be a great room for 4 people since it had a little extra space. I panicked when I saw a picture of the sofa bed laid out and couldn't picture two people in it at all. I have attached it below. We cruised 3 years ago on Disney Dream and the girls had the pull down bunks, which worked great. I thought this room was a sofa bed with the pull down bunk again. That is why I was upset when I found out that it was not. I'm not sure if people realize how big the couch bed truly is. I found a picture of it yesterday which is when I grew concerned. I will certainly keep this in mind in the future. Thanks again :)

1827174354_Screenshot(1).jpg.75254225ba32d14e82c74184c5354595.jpg

Thank you for the thoughts and suggestions. We cruised 3 years ago on Disney Dream and the girls had the pull down bunks, which worked great. I thought this room was a sofa bed with the pull down bunk again. That is why I was upset when I found out that it was not. I'm not sure if people realize how big the couch bed truly is. I found a picture of it yesterday which is when I grew concerned. We will make the best of the situation and make great family memories, just disappointing when you spend $4K on a vacation and not everyone will sleep comfortably. Thanks again:)

Are you sure about that picture? Doesn't look like any of the sofa beds we have had.

Also - your room steward will take and store suitcases for the week so they're out of your way. They'll take the glass coffee table, too, if you want more space to move around. Walls are magnetic, so get some magnetic clips to hang up the cruise compass - newsletters about what's going on each day. They kids will get their own from kids club. On the wall makes it much easier to see!

Great idea if they can remove the table. Hoping that the suitcases will fit under the bed, but if not, glad to know they can store them if need be. Plan to do the magnets for sure. Thanks for the tips.:)